AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

Attachments

• BPR_series_DSL.jpg
    BPR_series_DSL.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 845
That a bit too high a voltage for the output Darlingtons. 44 X 1.4 = 61V rails, or 120V together, while the TIP series Darlingtons only go to 100V, and you need some margin, say 80%. I was going to suggest a bucking transformer, but you'd need to buck the 44V all the way down to 28V. Maybe just sub higher voltage devices all the way around. You'd need 150V capability to get 80% margin for 61V rails.

Another crazy thought would be a choke input filter, but that adds another piece of monster iron, with the danger of the rail voltages going too high if you stray below the critical current for the filter. That may mean setting the amplifier bias so that it runs in Class AAAAB - big heat sinks, too...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Evening all, sorry for not reading the whole thread yet, I will do so when I decide to build the amp !;) Is this a good sounding amp to build ? Does it have a warmer type of sound, eg more 2nd higher harmonics ? My transformer is a bit high, 65 Vdc after rectification, I don't want to turn in down, but I will if necessary. Maybe there are other transistors that can be used that are not toooo expensive:).Something just tells me to do it. Almost all my previous builds were lateral mosfets or hexfets, except for a P3A.I mean, it is a NP amp after all ! All help and info will be appreciated.

hello
yes - everything has been discussed here before. with + - 65 V all transistors need to be replaced, of course it is not easy and will be more expensive.

As for the sound: I wouldn't call it too warm - rather it reminds me of F5, but with clearer and more powerful bass and not so sparkling top note.Anyway, I like it.:)

Evening all,
What is the Max voltage for the caps, C5,C6,C7,C8 and C12 ? I cannot open the BOM file.If I want to use KSC3503/KSA1381 then I can only get them in 100's from RS, so can I use MJE340/340. I think BD139/140 will be to low voltage. As I see oscar has used TIP150xx transistors.

Help appreciated.:)

Regards
Jan

Last edited: