AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

I also noticed that the bias difference between each the Darlington transistor (MJ11015 and MJ11016 from ON semi) ar minimal - in range of few mA.
Standard ON semi MJ 15003/004 bipolars which I use im my leach amps - their individual bias difference is much greater - even up to 15-20mA.

AB100 amplifier was operated continuously 10h by me at moderate volume.I checked parameters now - bias stable compensated from 100mA per transistor to 90 mA. Offset - from 3mV dropped to 1.2mV and 12mV on other channel. (diff pair transistors was matched by hfe) .sounds very good - the low end also impressive.

AB100 amplifier was operated continuously 10h by me at moderate volume.I checked parameters now - bias stable compensated from 100mA per transistor to 90 mA. Offset - from 3mV dropped to 1.2mV and 12mV on other channel. (diff pair transistors was matched by hfe) .sounds very good - the low end also impressive.

How you match the darlingtos, do you use some circuit etc. With a simple DMM you can not do it.
Please let me know
Thank you

In between enjoy the schematic ....This is a commercial design existing in the market for a number of years and also features a patch of 150Pf in the upper side Only ! relatively low next to known other schematic .

Thanks - It's (vaguely) a Blameless clone with a cascoded VAS and Darlington OPs. They have gone through some pains to include an elaborate Vbe bias limiter to reduce the possibility of thermal runaway - perhaps the added cost of such a limiter was much lower than the price of discrete non-Darlington outputs + drivers in that era (maybe even today, even with inexpensive C5200/A1943 clones from the likes of ST).

The discrete darlington VAS of 2x BC560 is wasted. They should have used a true Blameless-style emitter follower, with collector going to ground. Perhaps you can do that mod, though the extra open-loop gain may tip it into instability.

In the last few months ab100 has become my everyday amplifier - I like everything, especially the bottom end is very punchy and fast - also sound stage is very good. Stable as a rock even if you lose one supply rail - you will not fire speakers - there will be only small amount of DC at output (instead of chipamps for example).
In addition I installed small heat-sinks fors VA and CCS transistors, maybe they can do without them (approx 0,5W dissipation) -but it's better to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• DSC09666.jpg
    DSC09666.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 1,115
In the last few months ab100 has become my everyday amplifier - I like everything, especially the bottom end is very punchy and fast - also sound stage is very good. Stable as a rock even if you lose one supply rail - you will not fire speakers - there will be only small amount of DC at output (instead of chipamps for example).
In addition I installed small heat-sinks fors VA and CCS transistors, maybe they can do without them (approx 0,5W dissipation) -but it's better to be on the safe side.
:):):):D

Thank you,
I know that it's been a while ... I've added the actual circuit of my amplifier.Of course, a lot of things can be changed according to the taste and possibilities :drink:
I think the amplifier is worth it to be built.

Attachments

• ab100.JPG
    ab100.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,276
... I've added the actual circuit of my amplifier.Of course, a lot of things can be changed according to the taste and possibilities .

I like your simplification of the output stage with the big darlingtons.

Have you built the amp both ways?

I can't get space heaters off my mind, but I should be looking into a Summer amp. I have plenty of AB commercial stuff, but the ones we build are so much better :)

I

Have you built the amp both ways?

No..just to3 version

Hello guys

As you know, the degeneration for differential input stage can greatly improve linearity,?

Thanks!

I performed a quick simulation - with degeneration thd at high F getting worse..:Pirate:

regarding PCB:
I do not think someone has ordered a professional PCB for this amp - I only saw home made PCB and some nice PCB layouts in this topic.My PCB also is a "kitchen table" DIY for my needs and adapted to3 transistors.

Last edited: