• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AAK Blackbird Multi-Channel ES9018 DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Fred,

Actually I've been listening to the IV_2 with the ADA4898 for last two hours and I've changed my mind. It's been more than 24 hours since I did the first test and I'm hearing something completely different now. I really like what I'm hearing coming from the ADA4898 compared to the LME49990. I'm not sure if it's the extra 24 hour burn in time or it's just me, but it's on par with the LME49990 maybe slightly better.

I'll keep listening some more and check again tomorrow night. I may have a friend listen in to get a second opinion. I'll provide an update on the results tomorrow.

Best regards,

Al

Hi Everybody,

So after a third listening session comparing the ADA4898 with the LME49990 I'm convinced the ADA4898 is just as good as the LME49990. It's really hard to tell whether it sounds better because it's so close but at times I felt the ADA4898 had a slight edge.

If you're interested in the ADA4898 for the IV_2 please let me know. So you know it's about 2.5X the cost of the LME49720, overall it will add about $40.00 to the IV_2 listed cost.

Best regards,

Al

Hi jojip,

Yes, it sure does. The adapter alone is $30.00

Quick update on the GB. Everybody has made payment so the GB is a go. Thanks again for making it possible. So I'm building two fully assembled stereo DACs, a six channel DAC, and a stereo DAC without the IVs. There's only four members in this GB so I'll have parts for a fifth stereo DAC if anybody is interested.

I'm currently organizing everything..boards, parts..etc. to start ordering within the next couple weeks. The GB will remain open until then..I'll keep the thread posted.

I've had some interest on my HDMI mods that will provide I2S signals for 7.1 surround sound. The driver board is done and the receiver is near completion. I should have some results on how it works in about a couple weeks. Stay tuned. I'm really looking forward to watching concerts and movies in full 7.1 surround through my 8-channel Blackbird DAC.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
Hi Al,
Here is my need, please help me understand what I need. I am presently using the TOSLINK output from the TV fed into a MiniDSP 4X10. Outputs from 4X10 drives my active 2 way stereo speakers and a sub. That uses 5 SE analog outputs, I would like to have the ability to add additional subs. I can sell my MiniDSP 4X10 and get something else (NanoDigi for instance) which can do the DSP/Cross over and feed whatever signal appropriate for your DAC, either I2S or SPDIF. I have not seen any discussion in the thread that might cover my case. I have no need for a USB input, since I will not be using a computer to stream music. Please recommend what configuration I need.

The HDMI input you mentioned is of interest to me also, if the output can be fed into a MiniDSP and then on to your DAC.

If this is another option, I don't mind pulling the I2S signals out with a DIY cable from the MiniDSP to feed the DAC.

TOSLINK -> DSP -> DAC-> 2 way Stereo + Sub

Thanks,
Dinesh

Last edited:
Hi Al,

couple of additional questions on the 8ch option.

Does a single DAC board have sufficient current output to drive 4 IV stages?

Instead of 4 IV power supplies can 2 IV supplies be shared between the 4 IV stages?

This is for heat, case real estate and overall cost reasons.

thanks
Joji

Hi! Just happened to come across this thread. I am looking for a multichannel DAC that will allow me to play multichannel DSD via linux mpd. I am not clear from the description whether this supports it? My understanding is that the minidsp usbstreamer does not support DSD? If multichannel DSD is supported, I am interested! I am also keen on the HDMI to I2S option. I presume a bluray player for example would have to be set to output LPCM on the HDMI for it to work? Thanks.

Hi smoothquark,

The USBStreamer does not support multichannel DSD just PCM.

The HDMI unit that I'm modifying supports uncompressed LPCM in 7.1,5.1, and 2 channel. So yes, your blueray player would have to set to output LPCM for it to work.The boards are complete...they'll go out to fab tomorrow.

HDMI LPCM Dolby Digital To Multi-Channel/Optical Audio Decoder With Amplifier

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Best regards,

Al

Hi Dinesh,

For your 2-way speaker system you'll have to use the I2S outputs from the MiniDSP for it to work with my DAC. It won't work with S/PDIF. So you'll need three I2S outputs from the MiniDSP. One for the left channel, one for the right channel, and half of the third I2S for the sub. Since you have an unused channel you might as well add stereo subs. If the MiniDSP supports a fourth I2S output you can add 2 more subs if the MiniDSP allows you too.

If you have any questions on the setup email me at alsaudiokits@yahoo.com or post it here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/240287-my-es9018-dac-amp-controller-30.html

Best regards,

Al

Hi smoothquark,

The USBStreamer does not support multichannel DSD just PCM.

The HDMI unit that I'm modifying supports uncompressed LPCM in 7.1,5.1, and 2 channel. So yes, your blueray player would have to set to output LPCM for it to work.The boards are complete...they'll go out to fab tomorrow.

HDMI LPCM Dolby Digital To Multi-Channel/Optical Audio Decoder With Amplifier

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Best regards,

Al

Thanks. Quite keen on multichannel DSD. Unfortunate that the USB streamer does not support it.

Hi Joji,

I just replied to your email.

Enrico, I have your email. I've looked at the pdf attachment. I'll get back to you later today.

For everybody keep in mind that I work during the week and I may need at least a day or two to get back to you.

Quick update on the GB. All the boards have been ordered. The parts are all queued up. Just finalizing a couple new orders. I plan on pressing the order button this weekend officially closing the GB. I do have some parts so some assembly will start this weekend.

For those waiting for the HDMI to I2S adapter. I'll have the boards and parts next week. I'm hoping to have something to report by next weekend or the following week.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
OLED Color

Hi Guys,

I need to know what color OLED you'd like? A couple of you let me know but please confirm just to make sure. The choices are yellow, green, and blue.

Quick update. The bulk of the parts have been ordered so the group buy is officially closed. A total of six members joined. Again thank you so much. It turned out to be a nice mix of stereo and mulitichannel setups. I'll provide updates as the assembly process unfolds over the next three to four weeks.

For those interested in the HDMI to I2S adapter all the parts are in house, assembly and testing should start this week. Stay tuned for updates.

Best regards,

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.