A60(+) Amplifier. Build this?

There is my problem, I have one only secondary on the 12 volt transformer. It's funny, that is where I thought the problem could come from. I will change it to a dual winding tranny.
Sure, this is the problem. Just inspect the schematic and you will find an uggly ground loop through an AC coil. Also, there must be four separate connections at the secondarry side. Avoid center-tap configuration with just three wires. Left and right channel should touch in a single point at RCA connectors, not in transformer. Also use shielded wires at the input. I use LiYCY cable.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Be carefull with A60+ version. I have found a possible problem with the larger version: speaker protection seems to malfunction. Could be a bad component, but it doesn't respond properly to a sudden large pulse signal. It doesn't cut the output. Fortunately, I test just with dummy load. For the time being I am using a separate speaker protection board untill I rectify the malfunction.

What kind of board are you using A60+? In my Chinese one everything is fine. I'm waiting for your feedback. Absolutely right. The channels must be completely separated, connected to the minus RCA input through the case with a 10 ohm resistor and nowhere else. It has already been explained here many times.

Reactions: 1 user
Be carefull with A60+ version. I have found a possible problem with the larger version: speaker protection seems to malfunction. Could be a bad component, but it doesn't respond properly to a sudden large pulse signal. It doesn't cut the output. Fortunately, I test just with dummy load. For the time being I am using a separate speaker protection board untill I rectify the malfunction.
Hello Berlusconi. Board version is actually V1.1 ++. I am also using an off board speaker protector circuit. The chip used for the on board circuit does not seem to be readily available. In more thorough testing I have uncovered a stability issue where the amp will ring terribly at 1mhz on a 1khz square wave when driving a 4 ohm load with as low as .015uf capacitance across the load resistor. It will drive a resistive load with a perfect square wave. I also have issues with parts layout in the chassis and things have gotten so congested in there that I have decided to redesign the layout of the PS and other circuits to get a better ground structure and a more servicable layout. Have you seen this sort of instability issue?

What kind of board are you using A60+? In my Chinese one everything is fine. I'm waiting for your feedback. Absolutely right. The channels must be completely separated, connected to the minus RCA input through the case with a 10 ohm resistor and nowhere else. It has already been explained here many times.
I have, among others, A60+ V1.1. It appears that upc1237 chip is faulty, but I have several chips left for repair. I hope this will solve the problem. Also, on 60+ there is a 47uF. Perhaps this is a problem too.
Regarding the connection at the RCA terminals I have an elegant explanation. I will get back to this later on.

Guys, I have just ordered from Mouser 30 pairs of Toshiba 2SA1587/2SC4117 to substitute 2SA970/2SC2240. I will report after testing.
The reason is that the existing transistors are CDIL products and they do not list all important parameters, and also do not guarantee . Toshiba has listed all parameters and are identical with the original transistors. The only difference is that new transistors are SMD, but I have adaptors.

2SA9702SA15872SC22402SC4117
VCBO-120-120120120
VCEO-120-120120120
VEBO-5-555
IC-100-100100100
IB20-202020
PC300200300200
ICBO-0,1-0,10,10,1
IEBO-0,1-0,10,10,1
VBR-120120
HFE200-700200-700200-700200-700
VCESAT-0,3-0,30,30,3
VBE0,650,65
FT100100100100
COB4433
NF3…61…102…61…10

Last edited:
Why not use KSC1845FTA/KSA992FTA to substitute the 2240/970?
Thanks @sajti for the suggestion but I've already done that. Inadequate. In this particular case CDIL 2240/970 was better choice.
I wanted to replace with SMD equivalents just to see if this could further reduce the noise floor, which is already low.

Mental inertia can be indeed persistent. For decades production has migrated to the former colonies, knowledge too. “Originals” are replaced by generic parts a long time ago. “Originals” that we purchase from “trustworthy” sources are produced by the usual suspects of producing fake products, just re-branded.

Last edited:
I hate to work with smd parts, maybe because i'm too old for that. I order parts only from reliable sources.
I use KSC1845/KSA992 since long time ago in my CFA amplifiers, and i'm satisfied with their quality. But of course if you have opposite experience, i can understand it.

Yes, for instance a voltage of 25mv across your .25 ohm emitter resistors will indicate a current of 100ma/ output transistor.I am still working through my hum issues on an 8 pair version. I have been doing some shielding to get rid of the hum. I’m using 1 large toroid to power both channels and this is not ideal in terms of hum. Good luck on your build! I’m almost ready to go live with mine.

Search information from this thread, as shown above. Grounding should be ok.
There are more alternatives how to connect one or multiple channels.
@Paroxod4 has presented a simple but very effective approach. He used just the on-board power supply and he has connected channels at the input RCAs. Nowhere else, just at that point.
It is of the utmost importance to understand that there should be a SINGLE connection between channels. It should be of the lowest possible resistance and the best point to connect two channels is between grounds at RCAs.
I have seen very ellaborate explanations, even booklets, but it is simple, there is no need for complicated explanation. K.I.S.S.
The best is this thread by @digi01
Digi01's thread about grounding
Please note that this thread has degenerated into grounding police yada yada and went into unnecessary lenght. Read just seversal posts of Digi01 and thats it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users