A very quick question about active devices used in cap multipliers _ why darlingtons are so rare ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Good morning Mr Mooly and thank you very much again With your very kind and extremely valuable help i am learning how to do things
The ideal situation would be if i understand what i am doing But i promise i am working on it
If i see well from the simulation also the residual ripple shows I am sincerely amazed by this software indeed o_O
I will try some additional LC filter upstream/downstream the regulators and see the outcome
I wonder how they could design before LTSpice It is truly a very powerful tool
Thanks a lot again and have a nice day :)(y)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well sincere congratulations It must takes a huge competence and dedition as well
a friend of mine says that engineers always have a somewhat absorbed look and seem to stare into the empty space
And I believe it.
After trying to simulate a complex circuit with a ruler and formulas I would have completely fainted
Jokes aside I think I'm quite isolated in my curiosity to see the limits of simpler circuits
I guess that simpler topologies must have intrinsic limits. But what are their real limits ?
I mean there are a lot of variables already in a simple circuit from the type of parts and values and supply voltages etc.
If optimizing a simple circuit is so challenging what would be to optimize a very complex one (i.e. with many many parts) ?
The number of variables increases dramatically
I have the feeling that people are more passionate about doing something complex than getting the most out of something simple
like those chefs who don't care about the quality of the raw materials but add tons of different sauces to their recipes that only confuse the sense of taste
Maybe it's my impression
On another hand I was also struck by a review of a preamp some time ago
The reviewer, clearly an electronics expert, belittled the circuit quite a bit. In fact, he saw some even trivial flaws in it
Yet that circuit tested on the bench still gave truly remarkable measurements in terms of THD+noise
So I am confused
I feel like i am more a Lounge section guy ...
My next goals will be to understand a little about LTSpice main settings and direct the program to a different library that i could fill with models taken here and there Thank you very much again

Reactions: 1 user
;)
What is your ear telling you? You want to develop and understand audio circuits - and therefore also listen to them;-)
It may well be that the ear has a completely different view of electronics, that audio electronics have completely different requirements and demands than, for example, electronics for stepper motors or switches;-)
A standard electronics degree is only sufficient for stepper motors and switches;-)

• Thank You
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi i was thinking the same That music should be above all plesant Then i had an experience that changed my mind Listening to a very low THD+noise system At the beginning the sound was even hurting me Then i discovered so many details that previously were just hidden in the noise floor or affected by the distortion Above all i was hearing more things
like when a short-sighted person tries on a stronger and perfectly clean pair of glasses
I am completely convinced about the paramount importante of measurements It is the difference between fog and a clear day after the rain
Listen also to this ... even through Youtube it seems to listen to real instruments in the room The attack ... the lack of distortion and noise Impressive

Step by step;-)
The connection between measured values and sound is not proven here. And I would do without "audiophile" records in order to get to the bottom of the sound. Because these poor devices need this candlelight sound. Put on some music and all that comes out is junk - it's not the record;-)
The high-end trade and fairs are full of candlelight music;-)

Another first step would be to omit the pre amp.
And if that's not enough, then check whether the psu of the remaining poweramp is channel-separated. Connect these. And then we can see how unclean the whole thing sounds. We just need the comparison. And best of all: compare a device with itself - instead of with others;-)

And if we do our homework diligently, one day we won't even have to unpack such a device;-)

• Thank You
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thank you very much again for your valuable advice I understand the task is very challenging
But sometimes i have visions I do not know if you know the record label MA Recording they are doing 2 mics recording of very high quality
Many years ago they performed a test They record on DSD an artist singing and playing a guitar live Then they move to another listening room where a playback system was set up I have some doubts about the absolute quality of that system
However some of the listeners had a better experience listening to the recording than to the live sound This should be the goal in music reproduction
Do not miss much of the live experience I think it could be possible Also because when one goes to concert is not always in the sweet spot And there are also ambient noises very annoying I like a system that makes me hear what is in the recording Many systems are not able to produce the smallest details because they have noise of because they distort the signal
If you think a little how it is possible to accept an amplification device that you send in a 50 Hz sine wave and get back this
https://www.stereophile.com/images/1017ZOTLfig8.jpg

It gets interesting when you let a punk band play in the garage, record it, and then play it back with a "good" sysemt;-)

The majority don't even know how to set up loudspeakers:
I recommend, based on some arguments:
Speakers have an image size (and form). Different speakers have different image sizes and forms.
The majority of stereo signals are found on both channels, i.e. "mono".
If speakers are placed too far apart, the sound image is torn apart.
I recommend placing the speakers about 50 cm (center-center) apart and listening for a while. Then at some point place the speakers 60 cm apart. Then at some point 70 cm. And so on, until the sound image torn apart... Don't forget to move speakers back until they play together again now;-)
With compact speakers, this distance is far less than one meter, with really large floorstanding speakers very rarely more than 1.5 meters.

Angulation: often so that the outer side walls of the boxes are visible. Just try.
Distance to the rear wall: when bass and fundamental engage.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks a lot for the very valuable advice
About speakers I think that one big challenge is to make all drivers of a multi ways to sound as a single driver
I had this feeling listening to a pair of dq10 many years ago
An incredible coherence like the sound from a single driver
I tend to think that the secret is in the xover design mostly
Obtained that the rest comes easier

It may well be that the dq10 would not have pleased you in the long run. That these would have become too boring. Because they are not contoured, of course. But they are a nice alternative and a relaxation from the majority of loudspeakers;-)

Aside: The problem with most multi-way loudspeakers is, very fast and coarse:
Different locations and times of different drivers,
mostly different materials, therefore also different material sounds and resonances,
whether passively or actively filtered: the different filters or Electronics modulate the sound considerably differently.
In addition, we are dealing with a virtually infinite number of circuits, because the current is not linear.
The loss of contour and homogeneity and "to the point" is usually obvious. I use a pair of highly acclaimed Dynaudio 1.3s as the best example: once only the 17W75, without anything, and then the original 1.3s via a switch. Clean electronics disenchant the Dynaudio multiway magic;-) And here too: we compare a device with itself, not with others. For example, the box, driver, adjustment, electronics are identical;-)
In the meantime, I demand to sign of interested and listeners this listening experience, because they are all too happy to forget it and fall back into: the majority seeks the majority, not the discussion, the science, the "truth" - because everything and everyone takes the path of least resistance;-))