• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A tube newbie's review of the VTA ST-120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MelB in post #14 asked about a schematic, well if it's the same circuit as their ST70 it's straight out of the VTL Logic book by David Manley, I don't where David found it. At least the older Tubes4Hifi kits were the VTL circuit.

Craig

Last edited:
To think its available for the low low price of $909 in a kit form. I realize this is a diy forum and thus the product probably falls into the diy realm when put together as a kit. Unfortunately the thread starter is thrilled with a piece of equipment that unfortunately falls into the medium low price range with very little performance. I would assume that this is why we diy our own equipment so that we can come up with a good performing piece at the fraction of the price. Having heard this particular amplifier design I would suggest saving your money for something that actually performs well.

Tubes, Valves and Parts for Valve Guitar and Hi-Fi Amps

Here’s an Australian source offering my favourite sounding kt 88.

Welcome to TubeDepot.com!

Here’s a slightly better price, but S & H might exceed the savings.

I’ve read over and over again that the centre small signal tube (12au7, I think) in the driver board makes the biggest impact on the amps sound. I plan to experiment with that a bit on my vta st 70. Something like a vintage NOS Mullard, Amperex, or Sylvania . . . .

I can at least attest that rolling the power tubes makes a big difference, and the Gold Lion reproduction KT88 has a very good sound in these amps. No less than “stunningly” better than the Sov Tek kt88.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.