a thread on Transformer quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Never mind mate.
There's probably better bang for the buck in spending money on good speakers that don't need such amounts of class A power to start with.

To picoDumbs do you think I would really invest so much money and time to create and build such top level audio gear without having surrounding proper speakers, cables, turntable and cartridge setup? :confused::cool:

Just to clear this out since I see some sarcasm on these answers...I have B&W Signature800 speakers, Goldfinger statement cartridge, Mit Oracle cables (signal, power, speakers), linear tonearm etc etc...
hopefully it blends well!? ;)

Next following some pictures for the non-believers

These are a couple pictures of the latest setup. Before making these I went through other implementations of course, this is a state of the art and show amplifications and as anybody can imagine very difficult to create and build and bring to life without major breaks (it is also very hard to handle hundreds of pound of material while assembling I had to create proper fixture to handle this).
It is probably among the biggest amps currently available in the market...together with the Vitus and Boulder and few others.
Why did I need this power? For one thing, the Sig800 are current hungry and I have never heard them singing like this before with any other amp I had connected to them.
Second of all, I wanted to make a reference/statement amplifier and this can only be achieved with a lot of high quality power and Class A (everybody has his own take on this, this is mine!).

The preamp -line + phono stage - you can see in the center stage is not complete. It is the first prototype and it is 3 units -2 mono audio units and 1 control unit (you can only see two units there and they have been depopulated so you will notice the display is missing and they are now empty inside).
This will hopefully be done in the next 4-5months, there is still a lot of work to finish. I have to redesign some of the mechanics to improve thermal management and also the board needed some changes as well.
I have also a ton of code to write for remote functionalities and battery management beside the usual User Interface stuff.
This preamp is the latest iteration and before getting to this I went through countless different designs and prototypes in the past several years.

I feel, and also some people who had a chance to listen to the first prototypes shared the same opinion, that the combination of this audio gear represents and produces the culmination in audio design and puts this into the high bucks setups in terms of performance.
When the preamp is fully complete, if anybody that lives near me wants to see and listen to it, he/she is more than welcome to come over.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    507.4 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    548.6 KB · Views: 273
Thanks for the question!
These are personal designs, no rip offs from anything from other manufacturers nor especially from the forum...it wouldn't make absolutely any sense to build something so expensive for something taken off of a forum and conceived as kit for diyers (no pun intended).

Same goes with the preamp. It has phono built in as well. Both phono and line have been combined for optimum performance....
However, I don't like people to wrongly think that it is "simply" an integrated phono which should be replaced with a separate phono for best perfomance:) ...this is by any standards a reference phono with stunning performance. The preamp is over 100Kg so it is big and heavy (it doesn't look as big next to the power amplifiers :) )
I combined it, like I said for maximum performance and space consumption, but originally they have been conceived to be separate units.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you!
Unfortunately I cannot post detailed pictures of the build on a forum as this is private development for commercial use.
I can however see if I can post some shots that give a good idea of the work gone for the power amp.
I should have some pictures at my office at work. Tomorrow morning I see what I can find.

some pics of the proto1 of the preamplifier (only audio unit visible)...once I will finish production unit I will post few more pics of the inside of all 3 audio and control unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 181
Just one note: both power amp and preamp are still in the prototype phase (especially the preamplifier).
The final version of the power amp will no longer use Extruded heatsink but it will use solid aluminum CNC billet to improve aesthetic and also mechanical resonance behavior.

Once everything is 100% finished if there is interest I can post new pictures.
Hopefully next year I will be able to take this line to the Axpona Audio Show in Chicago, but many considerations will have to be made between now and then.

Thanks for watching hope you enjoy the pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.