A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?

I measured the test tone at:

• 2 volts or less

Votes: 334 40.5%
  • Between 2-5 volts

Votes: 253 30.7%
  • Between 5-10 volts

Votes: 106 12.9%
  • Between 10-20 volts

Votes: 55 6.7%
  • Over 20 volts.

Votes: 76 9.2%

• Total voters
Good question. I think mostly small rooms and decently efficient speakers. Like 92dB/W or more.

My old Altec A5 system generally needed voltage attenuation from line level, not amplification. Current gain was all it needed. That's with sensitivity somewhere in the mid 90 dB/W

My speakers are also mid 90dB/W, so I got rid of my power amps. I re-designed my active crossover to give 5A output current and drive the speakers from that. I bet lots could benefit from a similar approach.

Brian

Thanks Mark.
That 107dB @ 2.83 is for the system overall, of some specific part of it, like the woofers?

Hi again Pano, I realize I made a mistake. I have been mapping all my measurements against your test tone measurement, and forgot your tone is -12dB rms.

On my 3-way, the appropriate driver for using your test is the mid section.
I rms limit it at 60v, peak 120v.

So I should have checked 10-20v on your survey.

Now, if we move to subs, I'm back at over 20v...;)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
OK, I measured again. Measurement this time is 1.6Vrms.

I could go for a little higher than 2 o'clock (Zero's at 6) on the dial but the only time I've ever taken it higher is on low level YouTube videos so not sure why I'd do it here.

The impedance is , well, I don't know what to call it. What would you say? (Red stands for port speaker, green is starboard. ; )

Attachments

• SpeakImp.png
    SpeakImp.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 222
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
...forgot your tone is -12dB rms.
Just to be clear, the test tones are RMS 12dB below FULL SCALE. They are 9dB below the loudest permitted sine wave.

You will sometimes find test CDs with sine wave referenced 3dB up from where mine are. That's because they take the 0dB as being a sine wave with its peaks at full scale. A sine like that has an RMS value of -3dB Full Scale. I would call that a -3dBFS tone.

This has caused a good bit of confusion in the thread. The reference levels are 3dB apart as they take 0dB from different places. Both are valid.

Just to be clear, the test tones are RMS 12dB below FULL SCALE. They are 9dB below the loudest permitted sine wave.

You will sometimes find test CDs with sine wave referenced 3dB up from where mine are. That's because they take the 0dB as being a sine wave with its peaks at full scale. A sine like that has an RMS value of -3dB Full Scale. I would call that a -3dBFS tone.

This has caused a good bit of confusion in the thread. The reference levels are 3dB apart as they take 0dB from different places. Both are valid.

Thanks Pano, I'm used to sine peak being 0dBFS...with sine RMS power being -3dBFS.
The AES method has never made sense to me, but then neither does our continuing use of decibels, or our english measurements :D
IOW, MY problems !

I measured a surprisingly low 362mv RMS at both frequencys with my KEF 104ab Speakers. I guess my F4 has plenty of headroom left :)
That 0.362mVac represents a level of ~16mW into 8ohms for that -12dBfs signal.
16mW is roughly -18dBW, add on the 9dB to get back to the absolute maximum sinewave output required you arrive at -9dBW, or ~0.1W Power Amplifier.
or use the formula given by Pano:
Maximum power for the amplifier = 0.362² = 0.13W into 8ohms.

If the KEF 104ab is rated @ 4ohms over a substantial part of the frequency range then you will need a ¼W amplifier.

Something doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited:
Are you sure of your voltmeter?
Loadsa voltmeters ONLY give 'accurate' results up to about 400Hz.

In da old days, the first passive AC voltmeters which gave sensible results from 20 - 20k Hz were the cheapo Japanese ones using Ge diodes.

Towards the end of the 20th century, I was surprised that loadsa 'modern' DVMs had the same restrictions.

Look carefully at your voltmeter spec. If it doesn't specify a Frequency Range, it is almost certainly only good up to 400 Hz ... or maybe even only 100Hz.

Just double checked for sanity, at the preamp output i am seeing 384mv @120hz and 240hz. 0db test files of 50, 100, and 200 hz measure a hair over 1vac. If i set my player output to -11.9db those files give me a reading of 275mv. So yeah, that is all it needs, still really surprises me.

I also used three meters and got the same results +/- a few mv. Fluke 175, 17B+, and a Uni-T UT61E.