A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?

I measured the test tone at:

• 2 volts or less

Votes: 334 40.5%
  • Between 2-5 volts

Votes: 253 30.7%
  • Between 5-10 volts

Votes: 106 12.9%
  • Between 10-20 volts

Votes: 55 6.7%
  • Over 20 volts.

Votes: 76 9.2%

• Total voters
i have converted thousands of flac file from torrent to wav using this converter and have no issue to play them on my qls. last night i also download from a tone generator website (forget the adress) where you can choose output freq, dbfs level, sine or square, limited to 5sec for free and output file is wav, but not playable on my qls, so i assume something wrong on my player, just forget it :D

i really2 want to know my power needs, because i'll be finishing SIT L'amp (5watt maybe) and AlephJ (25watt) in next few weeks. Currently on my 3way speaker 88dB 4ohm and powered by mauropenasa, here is my observasion on my bedroom 4mx3m, SPL measured by android apps on redmi2 :
- at night listening : 76dB - 78dB, dcb1 volume position @8.30, 0.1V -0.3V on speaker
- daylight normal listening : 80dB - 82dB, dcb1 volume position @10.00, 0.7V on speaker
- daylight loud party : 86dB - 89dB, dcb1 volume position @12.00, 1.1V - 1.5V on speaker

i have converted thousands of flac file from torrent to wav using this converter and have no issue to play them on my qls. last night i also download from a tone generator website (forget the adress) where you can choose output freq, dbfs level, sine or square, limited to 5sec for free and output file is wav, but not playable on my qls, so i assume something wrong on my player, just forget it :D

i really2 want to know my power needs, because i'll be finishing SIT L'amp (5watt maybe) and AlephJ (25watt) in next few weeks. Currently on my 3way speaker 88dB 4ohm and powered by mauropenasa, here is my observasion on my bedroom 4mx3m, SPL measured by android apps on redmi2 :
- at night listening : 76dB - 78dB, dcb1 volume position @8.30, 0.1V -0.3V on speaker
- daylight normal listening : 80dB - 82dB, dcb1 volume position @10.00, 0.7V on speaker
- daylight loud party : 86dB - 89dB, dcb1 volume position @12.00, 1.1V - 1.5V on speaker

Hi Gadut,

I really appreciate that, but this does not answer the question.

It looks like the frequency rate is the only thing which can go out of synch with your wave DAC/Player.

If you would have a way to check whether the converted files have the proper frequency as mentioned above, most likely it should answer the question why you are unable to play them.

Your player is OK, but wav can have different frequencies inside. So not each wav is the same. I think in your case the wav that you have got does not have the required frequency rate, which your player can accept. See my previous post ;)

Regards,
Oleg

Last edited:
hi oleg,

any idea how to check it? because on file properties already shown same value like other wav song that is playable. or i can upload the file later at night once i got home

one notes that i forget to clarify, it's not only unplayable, but also not shown on qls song list. so nothing i can choose on the player, i even rename it same as other playable song. so maybe i should say it's not detected.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, thanks. Thought that was a CD player. dBPoweramp is great software, it should be doing what you need. You could try Audacity or Goldwave just in case. You want a standard 16 bit signed wave file. Maybe try converting it to stereo. Sorry for the trouble!

FWIW, converting these sine waves to MP3 does no harm. A simple sine compresses with virtually no loss, unlike music. And for this test it doesn't matter, anyway.

Hi pano,
i dont say it trouble at all, for me it's a journey to confirm my subjective result with objective/ measured one. I bought my 3way where it was powered by 45 tube amp and spl level is enough to my ear, that's subjective result. So i think that 1W - 5W should be enough, but i will never be happy until objective result says so.

will report back later, i still can test ipod or android phone, there are always available options

Vote for less than 2V

i use my xiaomi redmi2 output by playing some youtube video, i have to crank up dcb1 volume until 13.00 position. After playing 120Hz test file, below measurement result:
- 0.15V at phone output ( no wonder need extra potensio turn compared to my dac output)
- 0.7V on amplifier with unplug speaker

my previous measurement is confirmed now, no wonder 45 tube amp with half volume is enough to my ear. Yeay, it seems I only need flea-amp

Thanks Pano, I should have done this method earlier. but my previous instinct choice on SIT L'amp and AlephJ is good, i dont any big watt amplifier.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are very welcome! Glad you got to do the test and post the results.

Efficient speakers in a small room need surprising little power. That changes very fast with less efficient speakers and/or bigger spaces. It's always good to know how your system works.

Efficient speakers in a small room need surprising little power. That changes very fast with less efficient speakers and/or bigger spaces. It's always good to know how your system works.
I think the source material has a far greater effect.

Modern music(??!) has a dynamic range of 3dB or less with FS being reached on every beat. That needs very little power to sound unbearably loud .. not only to the 'listener' but also to anyone else unfortunate to be nearby.

If you make your own recordings of live musician however, you will often be surprised at the dynamic range and power requirements to playback at realistic levels without clipping.

What I understand is that this test will nullify your audio source, either modern music with low dynamic range or even a movie which has very high dynamic range compared to classical recording. because you already set your maximum preference level of loudness.

I think that i'll make a test to support my comment when i got home. I remember for having Avatar & Thor converted movie with 15GB file size. I have compared to other smaller movie file, this 15GB movie seems has less compression on audio and video. any Kaboom effect have more impact.

too bad i dont have any blueray to play :D, torrent already provide my needs

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Agreed Kgrlee. And why I have stressed over and over again to pick a few dynamic tracks for setting the level. But a lot of people don't really know what a dynamic track is.

Recordings without compression, like good home recordings, are almost in another league and will show you how much canned music is manipulated. Not much makes it to commercial release without a good dose of compression and level riding. For my tests I used a few symphonic tracks with >22dB of dynamic range between average and peak. I.E., the RMS value of the track is at most -22dB FS.

Perhaps it's better to tell people to play a soft track to set the levels. At least that way they'd be sure to turn it up. :)
I think your present recommendation is correct.

It's all about YOUR music and YOUR speakers.

If you don't listen to music with good dynamic range, a bigger amplifier is probably wasted on you.

If you listen to modern music with 3dB DR and still need a 200W amplifier, please publish your address so we can avoid living nearby. :D

Agreed Kgrlee. And why I have stressed over and over again to pick a few dynamic tracks for setting the level. But a lot of people don't really know what a dynamic track is.

Recordings without compression, like good home recordings, are almost in another league and will show you how much canned music is manipulated. Not much makes it to commercial release without a good dose of compression and level riding. For my tests I used a few symphonic tracks with >22dB of dynamic range between average and peak. I.E., the RMS value of the track is at most -22dB FS.

here is one or 2
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Got second pressing original still sealed to pass on to grand kids
One of the loudest ever

Or
http://www.discogs.com/Grace-Jones-Slave-To-The-Rhythm/release/204497

DMM mastered version can be found any where

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks BK. Yes, those are loud with limited dynamic range. Typical of the genre, the average level is around -12dB FS. So only 12dB between average level and peaks.
When you consider that a full volume sine wave is at -3dB FS, there isn't a lot of room on these recordings. Not very dynamic.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I only did the 220Hz test because the panels will not do 120Hz.

With normal listening volume it is 4.7 volts. When I crank it up to a little higher, it rapidly goes to 8 Volts. Shortly after this, if I go further, it becomes unmeasurable. I am glad my Hiraga clips so nicely :)

These panels love to eat Voltage!

So, now I know for a fact I need more power! Al least 70 Watts RMS in Class A to play loud on my panels. My Hiraga is only 38 Watts. This is why I need something bigger with the same sound quality!

Good test! I suspected this but didn't know for sure! Thanks!