Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Driver F

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Driver G

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We are not looking for an assessment but your preferences. Clearly, the various drivers sound different and I would not classify them as all nasaly. That is why there is some hard rock and jazz thrown in as other genres. Some of these drivers work well on vocals but not so well on rock. There are drivers that can sound good on all three.

OK I had a quick listen to the first set as I think simple female vocal is a great way to assess...

Sorry, but the basic sound quality that is common to all tracks is very poor compared to anything I'm used to hearing here. There is a pervasive electronic nasalness to the voice that is there on all tracks.

I don't think its possible to make any meaningful assessment at this quality level.

Yes that's same for all it needs concentration eventually headphones, studio guys probably have benefits this game, but when you have get used to the quality it's possible to compare and make a preference. Changing capaistors from electrolytic to bipolar HQ also need some consentration when A/B ing.

Our playback equipment (and/or environment) would be very different anyway, so I think this is good enough (I mean the mp3).

That said, we'd better avoid digging deep into the ultimate details in the sound, just compare their overall balances and maybe find out some problems of intrinsic resonance etc.

I don't think its possible to make any meaningful assessment at this quality level.

Well, if you read the title of the thread, you would have noticed that the word "meaningful" is not there.

The whole point to X's exercise here is to show that for a given set of variables, drivers differ in their way to handle a signal.

We all knew this of course, but it was a fun and interesting exercise anyway.

Since this is a DIY forum, so many variables will later come into play besides the driver. The design and the assembly of the enclosure will have a profound impact and will differ from person to person, as no one share the same woodworking skills or design background. And since I believe the perfect driver hasn't been produced yet, there will always have a bit of tinkering involved, whether by enclosure design or EQ to accommodate the listening environment.

If you believe that you can get a meaningful assessment of a driver from listening to someone else's recording in their own environment with their own gear that differs from you, well, then, go ahead and start a new thread... but I'll take a back seat and watch the show from a distance! There'll be much too much fireworks for my taste! ;) :p

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't know how to do a poll - maybe one of the mods can set it up for me?

The poll would be which driver did you enjoy the most? Which driver(s) you enjoyed the least?

The word is "enjoy" listening to the 3 prescribed tracks. We are not saying which is the best or worst as they only apply to this setup as recorded in this room.

:cop:

I've added a poll to post #1 with a close date of 16th March. The forum software has a checkbox option of 'make poll results public'. I've left that unchecked so you will have to see how it looks. There are no other options though.

Mooly,

Thanks a lot, but we don't know which track is a recording of which particular driver. Driver names have been put as A, B, C, D, E, F, G in the clip file names by xrk971.

Hence, please remove the driver names and make it Driver A, B, C, D, E, F, G for the polls.

And ra7 has requested that users should not be able to see poll results till the poll is closed - request you to make it a "blind poll" if possible.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
All labelled A through to G.

These are the only poll options available.

Attachments

• Poll Options.PNG
    Poll Options.PNG
    84 KB · Views: 536
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
:cop:

I've added a poll to post #1 with a close date of 16th March. The forum software has a checkbox option of 'make poll results public'. I've left that unchecked so you will have to see how it looks. There are no other options though.

Thank you, Mooly. Is it possible to make poll not public? Or is that because I am thread starter that I can see it?

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I can see it too, but maybe because I am a mod. can someone else say whether they get the view results link? from What I can see there is no option to hide this other than what Mooly has already done.

I've pm'ed my subjective impressions, xrk can post them if / when he sees fit :)

Tony.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
First, this is extremely silly and dilettante test..

Second, currently two best small FR drivers are not even mentioned.. ScanSpeak 10F and Visaton B80..

The B80 drivers are in order (back order actually) and the SS will be ordered eventually due to the generosity of others in this forum who are contributing materials and resources. Unlike some, who just like to point out all the flaws when it is really here for fun. Think of it as like cheese or wine tasting - all for fun and enjoyment. If a wine doesn't suit you, it may suit a lot of other folks with different tastes. The point here is to offer the palette of different tastes. I see that it would be more of a wine connoisseur tasting to use lossless FLAC's. If I can figure out a way to host those files without using an expiring upload service that would be great.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.