A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 3.5in drivers - Round 5

Select the driver that sounds best to you.

• A

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • D

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • E

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • F

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • G

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, in this round the clips are better than the previous rounds. My suggestion is to redo either 10F or B80 with the same circumstances (because I don't believe it is the driver quality I'm hearing), but of course it might not be possible as they are recorded in batches.

Welcome back Jay. I was wondering when Mr Golden Ears would show up.

Only difference was that the sound clips were processed to extract left channel as mono. Same otherwise.

Only difference was that the sound clips were processed to extract left channel as mono. Same otherwise.

Do you mean round 4 was stereo and round 5 is mono?

Clip 2 is imo typical music that is difficult to turn people on (I haven't heard other clips). From round 4, not even 10F or B80 is enjoyable to my ears. But in this round there is. So could I say that this driver is better than 10F and B80? Do you think it is possible? My Alpines have this typical impactful sound that make it enjoyable.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
U
Do you mean round 4 was stereo and round 5 is mono?

Clip 2 is imo typical music that is difficult to turn people on (I haven't heard other clips). From round 4, not even 10F or B80 is enjoyable to my ears. But in this round there is. So could I say that this driver is better than 10F and B80? Do you think it is possible? My Alpines have this typical impactful sound that make it enjoyable.

In R4 I record a mono speaker playing mono music with a stereo Zoom H4 recorder. I posted the stereo sound clips from the Zoom. Some complained this was distracting as they were picking up my room ambience (reflections in stereo). So in R5, I take the stereo recording from the Zoom and throw away one channel (R) and then save clip as mono. You may listen in both ears but same music is playing in both.

I don't think these drivers are better - I did pay more careful attention with flush mounting the drivers to reduce diffraction but 10F bezel was so thin compared to some drivers here that some of these have to have it otherwise there is a a noticeable dip at bezel discontinuity - typically 2in radius or about 3400Hz causes a small dip.

In R4 I record a mono speaker playing mono music with a stereo Zoom H4 recorder. I posted the stereo sound clips from the Zoom. Some complained this was distracting as they were picking up my room ambience (reflections in stereo).

I still don't understand how this zoom made the sound stereo or different R and L. But if cancellation happened/possible, it would skew the result. In previous rounds, we were supposed to judge the 400Hz and up, but the lows sounded different (cancellation?). Only B80 has proper lows in round 4. Here in round 5 the lows is good.

It was a hard round ! Sometimes différences are subtle between drivers while being différent (the drivers) ! Clip 2 is definitly a good clip to benchmark.

Some glitchs on the reccordings! distorsion in the peaks for most dynamics épisodes but not on the ref ! I find a problem of concistency on a driver between clip 2 & 3 !!!! (It seemed to me it was not the same driver ! Odd !)

I voted for the most acurate to my ears while the mp3 had pushed me to prefer an other one in the list due to a better softness because this mp3 issues (or reccordings?).

Listening at the ref B&C I found the reccordings on the listening rooms to be good. If the distors, harchness I hear in the peaks are not due to the reccording loop, it could be the room or simply mp3 ! Hard to say !

I didn't listen the clip 1

Attachments

• rd 5.txt
    479 bytes · Views: 93
Last edited:
I don't find those drivers are better than the 10F round4 ! Just the one I voted for has more clearness and accurate high ends (treble) on my Equipment !

But as here I'm able to hear what I called distorsions in the round 4 but here with all the drivers : I just have been understanding this is due t reccording process and not the drivers ! So in round 4 the 10F smoothed the peaks while having a subjective better dynamics. Also the 10F is better in the lows than the my first choice .... trade offs ! So clearly the "distorss" I can hear on peaks are not due to mp3 or maybe just the process with added glitch ! I don't know !

It is more subtle here in this round : easy to rank the first, maybe the second and surely the last ... but not so easy for the rest of the drivers in between ! Maybe due to the size ? Only one according to me can swap a dedicated tweeter.... and it's the : read my txt ;) !

What are the XO ? 500 hZ as usual ? I don't understand why I hear a lot "clicks" I didn't hear on rd 4 if the process is similar ????? ! (but you can make abstraction of it to judge the drivers ! )

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There seems to be a lot of complaints about clicks and sound quality. It must be ambient noise in my room or I wasn't careful to stand perfectly still when recording. Despite this, I think the character of the drivers still comes through. There seems to be two drivers favored at this point. It is still a long ways away from the end of the poll so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Xo is electrically at 350Hz but acoustically it may be closer to 500Hz.

Not sure it came from the room ! Seems more to be electrical ! gnd/ electricity problems from wall in the building/house ? maybe you have your ground mixed at the feet of the building with you neighboors, etc ! Who knows ?

The more important problem is this sibilance/distorss on the spl peaks !

Maybe it's fixable with an other protocol, because mainly the reccordings seem good in a room context ! This is very encouraging :)

exactly what I thought when I played the clips :)... a little the same as vynil but more in the treble !

I have a Rega Planar III for sale !

X, if you don't solve the problem, I send you Norah Jones to make the reccording in live ! ;)

Last edited:
I've cast my vote already, and following the poll is really raising my eyebrows.

Now I'm doing some more listening, in part trying to figure out what all the click and pop chat is about, and doing comparison current clip-2 recordings with left channel of B80 and 10f from previous round thrown in. The difference between the current leading two drivers is dramatic. One I understand, the other incomprehensible. I guess that participants aren't digging up reference clips for comparison.

Looking at clip-3 reference from round 4, it is full of flat topped transients that are below 0dBFS, and vary in duration with many about 2ms long. In round 4 I briefly auditioned clip-3, and politely speaking is not my cup of tea, and also dismissed it as being highly synthetic over processed sound far removed from reality. After this closer examination, I humbly rank this track as provided to be garbage. Perhaps X will look at a fresh rip from the CD.

Clip-2 tracks have been my standard. In round 4, one transient stood out as not quite right, and reviewing here, it shows clipping artifacts in the reference track:

clip-2 clipping.png

The glitching happens over about 15ms interval, and is easy to get past.

Clip-1 is also not my cup of tea, lots of compression limiting and artificial reverb. A brief review of reference track shows no hard clipping.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That's strange but the reference tracks should never be clipped as they were processed by me by applying gain such that they were -0.5dB below 0dB FS on tracks 1 and 3 (by default they were at 0dB FS from the source). Track 2 I applied gain such that peak is -1dB below 0dB FS.

Clip 1 was from high res wav file. Clip 2 from wav file from CD. Clip 3 from online purchase as 256k MP3. Clip 3 was 5th elements' suggestion. Clip 1 I got because so many wanted over driven guitar like AC DC from first 3 rounds. Clip 2 is what I like to listen to.

One I understand, the other incomprehensible. I guess that participants aren't digging up reference clips for comparison.

Hmm, I did not need the reference between those. Though I compared them now with the reference to be sure. Using my cheap earbuds, it's not really difficult to hear the strange "character" of one of them.

"Pops and clicks" is possible to disregard.

Peter

If the rd 4 seems flatter ( i hear less harsch peaks at highest spl than rd 5) it s not a problem to choose the most acurate: 10 f for my taste, micro dynamic was ok.
But i would like to check again with 80 p and tc9 with rd 5 protocol too.

Sympathetic experiments than those listenings...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.