• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A sorry tale which will make you cry !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No X-ray worry!

There will be no danger whatsoever of x-ray emission from those damper tubes, or any other tubes, despite what any datasheet may say when the tube is employed in an audio amplifier application, or application where less than 15,000 or so volts are applied to the electrodes.

Are you absolutely sure? I would still like to see the little Argos running around too one day. :rolleyes:

Well the tube in question is Russian 3Z22C, which is said to be an equivalent of GY501. It sure looks identical to this tube in this picture
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and the data sheet http://mike.xray.pl/hv/GY501.pdf
clearly says, that it poses of danger if the tube is not specially encapsulated/shielded. Although I couldn’t find the specific voltage or current, when the emission of x-rays would start.
If it is safe to use in audio amplifiers then that’s a first good news today

:)

Oh!

DigitalJunkie said:
When a buddy of mine (Fred Nachbaur) passed on a while back it was really depressing.. Not only because the world lost a great guy..but because we also lost the vast knowledge he held in his head,which alone was priceless,not to mention the fact he was a great guy to know,and is sorely missed. I owe much of what I know about tubes to Fred.

Not the Fred Nachbauer of Theramin and RAT fame surely?

Tim?

If it is safe to use in audio amplifiers then that’s a first good news today

:) [/B]

Yes now the difficult one.....I came across a TV in the early 60's using this type of <top hat> diode......one is looking at around 30kV.........I made a small geiger counter but the only instance I came across X rays was an TT21 running at 1Kv B+ in pulsed radar.
Daresay an annual trip to your local dentist or hospital A&E exposes you to more Xrays than a set of KT88's or sim. I live in the Alps where ground rock radiation is somewhat higher than in the UK....(okay Alpha/Beta or whatever)....but people there have kids just as everyone else in time and still live to mid 80 age group.....A case of putting things in perspective ?

richj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.