A Silk Purse!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That would be FOUR inches, at which point I lost interest in anything further. I can see why measurements serve no purpose.

Measurements serve the purpose; it seems you didn't read my previous posts.

With regard to silver (or anything else related to metal and sound that makes the difference but can not be measured easily), you can stay a firm nonbeliever, for what I care....

I just finished my pair of VH Audio silver interconnects, using 1/8" x .003" silver ribbon instead of the silver wire. Otherwise all materials are the same as the pair I made with the wire. Both exactly like his recipe, with WBT Next Gen silver RCA's. They are breaking in now. I have a little over 250 Hrs on the silver wire interconnects. When I have the same on the ribbons I'll do a comparison, and let you know what I think. But they sound pretty damn good already.

Extreme_Boky said:
With regard to silver (or anything else related to metal and sound that makes the difference but can not be measured easily), you can stay a firm nonbeliever, for what I care....
A "nonbeliever" (or unbeliever) is what someone with faith calls someone who lacks that faith. Applied physics (e.g. audio electronics) is not a matter of faith.

Silver interconnects either change the signal (when compared with otherwise identical copper interconnects) or they do not. If they changed the signal then this would be measurable, calculable and (possibly) audible. It is possible to calculate what a minor change in resistance will do to a signal. In principle this should be measurable, although as the change is very small it would be difficult to measure it. Everything we know about psychoacoustics tells us that the change will not be audible as it is far far too small, and is merely a change in amplitude anyway. Guess what? Ears-only tests show that it is inaudible.

The really interesting phenomenon is not what silver cables do to audio systems, but what silver cables do to audiophiles. Why does the 'silver' meme persist? There are various theories. The one I favour is that silver looks so nice that it just has to improve sound too, while copper soon oxidises to a dark colour which must sound as boring as it looks.

I don't know if you can measure a difference between two pairs of interconnects made the same, except that one uses silver wire and silver connectors, and the other uses copper ribbon, and the same connectors, only in copper. So, basically the same cables, one in silver, and one in copper. I know it would of been better if they both used wire or ribbon. But I have made a pair with silver ribbon and silver next gen RCA's. Still to be comparison tested.
So can we measure a difference? I don't know? But I could hear a difference. Both cables sounded great. But the copper cable was much warmer sounding. To much to be my imagination. As I stated earlier, if it's so close that I think it might be my imagination, then I don't think it's a change. For better or worse. Even the copper ribbon cable compared to the silver ribbon, the copper sounds warmer.
I used to be skeptical about wires sounding different. But not anymore. It is what it is. If you don't believe, I can't change that. But I know, It's not just that they cost more, or look prettier. They do sound different,to me, in my system, in my listening room. YMMV.
From the original post about my DAC. I need to still change the input RCA to a next gen silver. When I do that I am going to replace the wires connecting the DAC brd. to the analog output brd. Now it has a connector on each brd, and a cable connecting them. I am going to remove said connectors from each brd. , and hard wire them together with VH Audio's silver Pulsar Coax.
I'm also going to replace the two bridge rectifiers on the power supply brd. with Cree SiC Schottky Diodes. That will finish the rebuild of the Pwr supply, and every thing else. The DAC is sounding so good. If this improves it more I will be it total shock. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for listening.

It would be interesting if the device had been given to a friend who was asked to undo the mods, or some of them. (or conversely, given a list of mods and the parts and asked to do the mods but then didn't do some or all of them)

Then the owner re-auditions the unit and has to say what if anything had been changed....

I can guess what they outcome would be and the excuses for getting it wrong the red faced owner would role out!

I don't know if you can measure a difference between two pairs of interconnects made the same, except that one uses silver wire and silver connectors, and the other uses copper ribbon, and the same connectors, only in copper. So, basically the same cables, one in silver, and one in copper. QUOTE]

Yes quite easily, for a variety of signals and frequencies and way beyond the threshold of hearing... For a start silver will have a slightly lower DC resistance.

I know this is the Digital Source forum. So if anyone knows where I should Transfer the interconnect part of this thread to, please let me know.
I was A-B listening to the two silver interconnects. I need more ears. With the copper vs silver, I could clearly hear a difference. The copper was much warmer sounding. But with the silver wire vs silver ribbon, it's to close to call. At first I thought the ribbon was a little warmer in the midrange. But the more I changed them back and forth the less difference I could hear. I didn't expect to hear much of a difference, silver vs silver. I'll try again when I have my BK-16 speaker, and 300B amp finished.
I have more silver ribbon, and I'd like to make a set of interconnects with just two straight runs of silver ribbon, with Teflon braided sleeving over each, and then separated 6" apart with wood dowels. However, I have plenty of 1/4" Teflon braided sleeving, but I can't afford another set of WBT Next Gen Silver RCA's. Parts Connexion didn't have enough 1/4" Teflon braided expandable sleeving, so I had to buy a 225' roll of it else ware. So I have plenty of Teflon braided sleeving. I'll be putting up for sale when my project is done.
Is this what happens when you finally retire, and have to much time on your hands? You start comparing different silver wires? , Sh*t I think I need to get a life.
Well thanks for listening.:p

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.