A Pipe Inside A Box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why would you want to include curved reflectors in the horn at the bends?
Hi Moray, nice of you to pop in here. You know I asked myself the same thing, as have many others and the only answer I have is that it felt better to put the curved pieces in than to leave them out.

Are you thinking of coming out to the coast again for the VanIsleFest this year? Be nice to see you again.

High frequencies through foam walled multi turn backside horns?
As much chances as a snowflake in h*ll.
Just sayin' ;)
Ya that occurred to me to. :)

Thanks for the reply Cal and the kind words. Would be nice I will have to see what the situation is for Stew and or another friend so I could not say right now. The soft material might just absorb more than wood ply might but it still making a reflector.
Reason this caught my eye is that I recently started using an acoustical filter over the front of a 12 inch woofer to catch the multiple source points of frequencies at the top pf it's range (over 700 Hz) this is a three way speaker. The SAE rated 1/8 inch thick blanket does a very effective job of eating up those high frequency multiple source points and level drops them. The difference in spatial imaging is immediately noticeable with the filter blanket on or off the woofer. You horn(s) is physically larger so the multiple source points will be more noticeable. and there is a compounding factor in that the driver is centrally mounted. try a thin old wool blanket and see what you think about what it does. Easy to find out. Great looking design Best regards Moray James.

Man, I can't tell you how many speakers I designed, years ago of course, long before the internet or even the T/S parameters for that matter, only to get a little older and discover they were built long before I put pencil to paper. About the only one I know that has worked well and that I have not seen anywhere else is this one.

Thse look like the evil star shaped aliens in some Japanese sci-fi flicks (Lost In Space too).

They do have an evil streak to them don't they?

Evil or something highly graceful from the ocean?

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 124
It's a tapped mass-loaded horn. They've been around in various
forms since the dawn of time (well, ~the 1930s / '40s at any rate ;) )

Hi,

By "tapping" I assume you mean the driver offset in the line
and "horn" you mean the expanding taper, but for us old duffers
we've never heard of taps and we know what a real bass horn is.

Its an offset driver, terminus mass loaded, geometrically
expanding quarterwave resonant transmission line.
Its not a horn, in any sense of what a proper horn is.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.