A padawan needs guidance here

Madmike2 said:

Jesus. thats EXACTLY what i was thinking :D

You notice how the mid high tower has an adjustable base. semi articulated. You can toe the towers. Thats genius. I do not want to think what kind of DSP they are using when they come and install that beasty in your house.

I remember as a kid those Infinity Behemoths we had. There was so much **** associated with them that i had to call for help to turn on 102.1 fm

Really nice speakers by the looks of them. think they will run on the forums various gainclone amps ? :bigeyes:

they use an analog "passive" crossover (..no dsp crossover).

The Infinity Ref. V.

sure they would run on a gain clone - but at a price of well over 50k who would?

Madmike2 said:
So a boost in the low end will not be detrimental then ? I am like a lot of people wary of boosting anything. I guess an OB changes all those rules as well.

not at all detrimental - as long as the drivers can handle the excursion. besides, you would have had to boost them the same amount anyway for the lower freq. (w/ open baffle) - all we are talking about here is additional boosting for the lower midrange to compenate for the decrease in panal width (and this won't cause an increase in excursion).

ScottG said:

WOW, now that IS freaky.. (writing on a thread and all of a sudden it merges with another).

kneel b4 MOD! (a.k.a planet10; a.k.a. dave)

Ya my head is scraping the floor again> I talked to Nelson Pass man ! !
Not as cool as partying with Jason Cash Mohney from Show Girls and Hustler but it was cool none the less.

I am mocking up some models of the wave propogation to seating relation using stellar modeling ( same idea as laying up a solar system except the 'walls' are asteroid fields :) )

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Madmike2 said:
I got the money there to spend. Tell me what you think would work in detail and ill do it. Think of it as your experiment that you dont have to pay for :D .... BIg sound great sound stage 1300 dollars available and your own personal lab assistant who comes with a side of Woodworker downstairs.

OK... just doing an (incomplete) look at what is available, abd keeping open baffle & dynamics in mind, here is a 1st crack...

2 x Visaton B200 @ 168 each
2 x LCY 110 @ 235 each
4 x Peerless 315SWR3908 @ 103 each

Total = $1218 for a driver set...

You will need to use an active XO on the bottom, but you can likely XO the ribbon high enuff to get away with a relatively simple passive XO until you can build tweeter amps.

Under no conditions are you allowed to use the Crest/QSC/whatever on anything but the woofers.

dave

I found this comment on site about TL's. I have heard quite a few TL's some supposedly hi end ones as well and this comemnt didnt apply to them.

Quote "This speaker yields surprising sound from an unobtrusive and modern looking cabinet. You will swear there must be a subwoofer in the room when they are playing. The friendly impedance curve makes it suitable for a variety of solid state and tube amplifiers. " Quote

Should i take that with a grain of salt ? I know Classical fanatics swear by them. Personally i wouldnt do one unless it was a 10 " in there .

And Dave sir I AM seriously considering your suggestion. It looks like it would be 20 to 20 sonically :) and big enough. the GF was looking at some of the pictures here and actually took an interest, which surprised me. She really like the look of the tall multi 4 inch jobs. She was even smart enough to ask where all the lows would come from :) :sniff: i love this women :D

I am starting to think that these array arrangements can be done with cheaper speakers. I dont mean the no serial number jobs you guys build. I just cant see them satisfying me. BUT the GF is twisting my ear, she thinks that a 6 and a half foot tall speaker 27 inches wide tapered or not is just gonna be invasive in our smaller apartment. Sure , 6 feet tall and 6 to 10 iches is fine she say's but not 3 times that :( .

WHAT can i build that wont make me a eunich ? Big tall AXXIOM style speakers with a gazzilion drivers just sound like boxes a bit louder. Sub sat systems dont do it for me. My studio active monitors have a 6 inch sweet spot ( although they do hit hard and low ) TL's just dont have BIG sound ( i dont mean SPL ) .

People with these OB and bigger speakers in esoteri alignments dont seem to be chiming in on sound. I mean come on, we all started off with store bought. Really, subjectively how much difference is there fromj the Mid-Fi SB stuff to your DIY stuff. Bigger sound stage ? More Depth ? Less point source ? I dont want to be derailed here. She is needling me and i might cave :(

I feel like such a wuss :) I still believe BIGGER is better, to a certain extent.

Dave the Q on that driver you suggested , is it going to change signifigantly in situ ? I mean its right on the edge of what is suggested for OB.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Madmike2 said:
TL's just dont have BIG sound

And where is that coming from... of course TLs can give BIG sound... the bass loading is only a part of the formula for a speaker... and if you have to put the speaker in a box, it doesn't come better than a (well designed) TL (used in the quarter-wave sense)

Dave the Q on that driver you suggested , is it going to change signifigantly in situ ? I mean its right on the edge of what is suggested for OB.

The Q on the B200 is close to ideal for an open baffle.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Madmike2 said:
Huh ?? Why not ? Thats good clean juice there.

What i have to say about the quality of that amp would turn into a paragraph of astericks if i wrote it in this forum. If it was all i had, i'd grudingly use it as a sub amp. Even in a PA i'd hesitate to use them (for PA work, nothing less than a Bryston please)

The $10 dead HK 630 reciever used as a donor for a set of BrianGT or PeterDaniel gainclones would embarass that amp and set you back less than $150 CAD total. And with peter in TO you can probably arrange to hear them.

No point in building a great speaker and then using (many astericks) to drive them.

dave

SIgh .... i'll pass on the amp then ...... all this stuff is sitting at Long and Mcquade (another credit note )

SO i am gonna hazard a guess and say that you dont like the active x-over's from Rane or DBX either ?

How about the Rane/Alessis EQ ??

:D LOL DAVE you just got me hit . An " i told you so " slap in the arm. She thinks i spend before i think. I think alot , just not about the right stuff. Now i am thinking that Vancouver needs a COLD snap tommorow.

One of the DIY forum memebers has another old school monster 80's amp for sale. I could buy that. Still dosent solve my speaker dilemma. I htink i will just have to build both styles and see what i like. I can always sell the one i dont need to recoup some coin. Ill build the TL first since its easier to build and finish.

I think i will look up a suitable 10 and a good tweeter so i can put this crossover design software through its paces.

I should never have sold all my stuff :(

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Madmike2 said:
SO i am gonna hazard a guess and say that you dont like the active x-over's from Rane or DBX either ?

Your money there is likely best spent on a digital unit...

:
D LOL DAVE you just got me hit . An " i told you so " slap in the arm. She thinks i spend before i think. I think alot , just not about the right stuff.

:)

Tell her she is welcome...

dave