A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Hi Palmito,
The pcm stream will be converted in the pi to I2S when used without wave io, with wave io it is converted from pcm to usb and than in the wave io into i2s. So conversion will take place in any case, it's a matter of choosing the best conversion appliance.
I agree. But with the usb you are packetizing the pcm so the usb can send it, over an external cable, back to another usb receiver so it can be de-packtized and then converted to i2s. If I can avoid the usb part of the setup, whose sole purpose is to move the data from one place to the other, I think it's worth a try. At least if it sounds better I avoid the "which usb cable sounds better" arguments, since there is no usb cable.

I will stop arguing the theoretical advantages of one over the other, I'm sure Doede doesn't appreciate this OT discussion in his thread. The rpi is $35, volumio is easy to setup. *Not required*, but two isolator boards are $4 from diyinhk (need to do a little bit of smt soldering though) and about $10 in parts (you can give the spare one to a friend!). Use the waveio's 5vdc power supply to power the rpi. If the isolator is used get one of these http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/405/slvu741-89568.pdf (they are only $20) and feed it from the 5vdc power supply to power the rpi side of the isolator. Doede's dac 3.3vdc waveio connector will power the dac side of the isolator. It's a relatively low cost investment to test it out yourself. The leftover parts will proably sell quickly in this forum if you don't like it. :D

Good luck!

Hi All,
sorry for the duplication, I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere before in this thread, but I can see different info being mentioned so I wanted to check again.

Does anyone have info on the best way to connect up Cinemag output transformers for single ended use please?
I have red, brown and grey wires for input and orange and yellow for output.

thanks,
James

Excellent, thanks. I understand I may also need an additional resistor across the outputs of the transformers, but that the resistance depends on the impedance of the next stage. If my amp has an input impedance of 50kOhm, how can I work out whether I need this additional resistor and what value if so?
Thanks,
James

I have a working 8 stack with the uprated power supply transformer. Needs the wiring tidied up as I wanted a quick fix.
The power supply heatsink does get quite hot so I will double up the heatsink and that should sort it.
Sounds good straight out of the box so will be amazing after a few hours running.
Very pleased with it :)

Attachments

• 8 stack 1.jpg
    8 stack 1.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 613
Excellent, thanks. I understand I may also need an additional resistor across the outputs of the transformers, but that the resistance depends on the impedance of the next stage. If my amp has an input impedance of 50kOhm, how can I work out whether I need this additional resistor and what value if so?
Thanks,
James
Sorted. The extra load resistor is parallel with the amp's impedance figure, so I used the 50k from the amp, plus an additional 20k across the RCA plugs to give around 14.3k at the output of the transformer, making sure not to measure it with the voltmeter once it was in place as I've been told that can magnetise the
transformers....

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Alex, did you upsize the DAC transformer, or the USB board? I'm assuming the DAC board.

I looked at up scaling transformers a bit. I have yet to start my 4 board build. I do think the sideways mounting of your DAC board is very ingenious.

I was considering getting a pair of upsized transformers. Original transformers are 12.5 x 2 VAC. Going up to 50 VAC would be double the normal. Going up to 100 VACwould be quadruple the original.

Wondering if anyone thinks that upsizing the WaveIO transformer would make a difference? I can imagine improved transient peaks on the analog side, but less so on the pure digital board.

Thoughts, opinions? Minimum upgrade to 50 VAC 15+15, wildest thought custom 200 VAC 9+9+15+15 with 4 output secondaries.

If you want to upsize transformers be sure you use VA, not VAC, the two are surprisingly different......
I am assuming you meant VA, so yes up sizing that has been discussed, not sure if any testing has gone on, but 100VA is prob good, 250VA better, look also into choke filtering, I know I'll get shouted down, but using a choke filter keeps the current waveform though the diodes a flat line, which reduces the ringing and epic voltage and current spikes that happen when filling a cap straight up, using a CCS also helps, esp if that then feeds a shunt. There is maths about, RADIOTRON Designers handbook covers it well.

Chuz,

Drew

I have searched the internet high and low for the relevant Mac firmware and all I can see is for Windows. Does anyone on this thread use an Apple Mac that is able to help?
Thanks

This might sound silly, but have you checked system preferences to ensure that the WaveIO output is not muted?

It was muted by default when I first installed my WaveIO and I wasted a good couple of hours troubleshooting elsewhere.

This might sound silly, but have you checked system preferences to ensure that the WaveIO output is not muted?

It was muted by default when I first installed my WaveIO and I wasted a good couple of hours troubleshooting elsewhere.

Sorry chaps I should have updated you, my system is up and running now. I re booted the laptop and all was restored, perhaps I should have done that first :cool:

Would you mind measuring the height of the eight boards, I'm wanting to know the height of the case I need to buy
Thanks

I have noticed that the Tent XO is in a different position on my SPDIF main board than what is on yours.
Have you got it soldered in the correct way as the black spot together with the squared off corner on the Tent XO identifies the non connected pin.
Photo attached of my board for comparison.

Attachments

• Tent clock.jpg
    Tent clock.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 544
Alex, did you upsize the DAC transformer, or the USB board? I'm assuming the DAC board.

I looked at up scaling transformers a bit. I have yet to start my 4 board build. I do think the sideways mounting of your DAC board is very ingenious.

I was considering getting a pair of upsized transformers. Original transformers are 12.5 x 2 VAC. Going up to 50 VAC would be double the normal. Going up to 100 VACwould be quadruple the original.

Wondering if anyone thinks that upsizing the WaveIO transformer would make a difference? I can imagine improved transient peaks on the analog side, but less so on the pure digital board.

Thoughts, opinions? Minimum upgrade to 50 VAC 15+15, wildest thought custom 200 VAC 9+9+15+15 with 4 output secondaries.

I have uprated the Dac power supply with a 120 VA 0-15, 0-15 transformer for this Dac.

The power supply after fitting a larger heat sink will cope will cope no problem :)