A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Quick quuestion regarding the quality of the ribbon cables in general, and the ones flowing out of the WaveIO USB card in particular.

I do not care about the ribbon cable used for the LEDs, but there is another one used to transport the I2S signals to the DDDAC1543 mkII SPDIF & I2S receiver board.

There are only 4 signals carried by this ribbon cable ( DATA, FS, BCK and GND), so I would like to know if it is not better to use 4 high quality cables (let say for example Teflon insulated) instead of a ribbon cable, in order to protect as much as possible the signal coming out of the WaveIO board ?

Thanks for your advices,

tests have been done without any noticable difference...

Is this something you tested also by listeningtests A-B ?

Hoi Doede,

This is something that has been tested and measured by Guido Tent.
We have done this before on other dac units.

I have not done A-B testing on this detail.

It makes sense though; the sunt regulator is much faster than an electrolytic.
The shunt acts as a very fast capacitor with high bandwith and large current capability; that is a combination you cannot find in capacitors.
So you do not need the capacitors any more, they only give more work to the shunts with their interaction.

In comparison to a series regulator the shunt does not only source current, it will also sink current. That makes the power lines much more silent. Imagine all the current that is bounced back from a consumer when the impedance rises, this current will stay on the power lines and can dissapear only in heat........

Regarding the wima at the dac pins and the one on the shunt: yes it is better not to use two wimas and mount the shunt directly at the dac pins. But as for this design the shunts do have some distance from the dac so it is better to keep the extra wima.

I hope I explained it clearly and have not puzzled you guys too much :(

Joined 2006
Paid Member
if you only populate Ra it is 34 Ohm for 4 decks...
the 10 k should go at the secondary, so at the output side as you say
optional HF filter slot is for capacitors, these you can put between the input legs from the transformer if you like to try. some like it others not. value aprox 47 to 100 nF
thanks for the positive feedback !

A last pester Doede. I plan to use the Sowter balanced to XLR connectors. The 100k load resistor would go between pos and neg, with the common connected unloaded to the common XLR pin? Makes sense that way to me anyway.

Doede - I didn't go there with 12-decks, worrying I can't go back to 8 ever again!!! Btw, am contemplating going to 16 hence my home made housing with sufficient space for the future addition.

Bones13 - thanks for your clever comments! FYI, I don't intend stopping at that high! May be some photos can better explain to you?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Happy building and enjoy listening!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zuhujy8a.jpg

I would think this will sound awesome. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

It looks like Penfolds.
How many bottles are there in the back of the picture?

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

I would think this will sound awesome. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

It looks like Penfolds.
How many bottles are there in the back of the picture?

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Thanks Supersurfer! The RCA socket are WBT-NextGen too. Man oh man you know your red! Correct those are Penfold approximate in total 30 on top of my rack and about 150 under inside the rack! LoL!!! :drink::drink:

And this is my other side of the Man-Cave! Hihihi.... If I may!

ugyjevaq.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No worries Supersurfer! If you are ever in this neck of the wood, would love your visit helping me out with em! Fortunately, I have organise a get together here at my shed showcase Doede's DDDAC to my fellows audiophile here this coming Saturday. Will post photos if there is interest! They can help me out with portion of em and including these
7asuhady.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corona is imported, Penfolds is local (Adelaide) ......................
However Darlington Estate is more local for you I assume :rolleyes:

I would prefer a nice Penfolds BIN 2 from 2010, this is one of my favourites.
Do you happen to ship to Holland?

I see you are also using nice tube amps with 845 or 211 and TJ 300B if I see it correctly.
I recken we could be friends if we were not living so far apart ;)

Last edited: