A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

I plan on building the DDDAC 1794 in the near future but for dddac to say that the ES9018 soundd too thin, digital well all I can say is that you obviously did not hear it with OPC's NTD1 I/V stage. Please build one and let me know.

That said, the DDDAC 1794 is really on my next project list.

Thanks
Do

Every DAC chip has its own strengths and weaknesses but the sound balance you get out of them is very dependant on the final circuit design.

I can also make the dddac sound thin and digital with some tweaking :D:eek::D

Dac sounds great.

I have now completed the Dac with the transformer option ;-)

I used a silver digital AES input transformer from Audionote, dedicated power supplies for each board connected together with 1.25 Dia pure silver wire, and .375 Dia for board interconnects.

IV resistors are the Audionote 2W non mag Tantalum.

The case was made out of H30 Billet ....

How does it sound though ?

I have often read about people getting Goose bumps when listening to recorded music.
I never have a problem getting them when attending a live event, but I have never experienced it with any recorded music even after owning Wadia`s, Naim, Audio Note Dac 4-1LE and trying Dcs dacs.

Last two evenings I have gone through quite a few CD`s and was the happy recipient of ...

Goose Bumps !

First time ever on recorded music. What a result, NOS and transformer output are a winner, Cymbals have that live metallic shimmer, transients are preserved, bass has amazing tone colours.
All from 2 days running and is expected to improve even more.
I am a very happy chappy.

Thanks Doede for sharing the design, A highly recommended kit ;-)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=348991&stc=1&d=1368691660

Attachments

• dddac.jpg
    dddac.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 959
Nice tidy build. Are you using the Sowter transformers? Do you prefer the USB or SPDIF input?

Yes I have the Sowter transformers. I have not connected the USB part up yet so I cannot comment on it, but if it is anything like the SPDIF it should be even better on Hi res !!!! which I do not have yet.
Moving factory units so will have a break for a month or so then get some Hi res material and player together later ;-)

Comparison with other DAC's

Hi Alex,

Congratulations, that looks like a really top job.
I would love to be able to listen to your DAC through my speakers (no crossover, full range line array's) before I spend the money on a top of the range DDD Dac set up like yours.

Would you be kind enough to let me have a listen some time?
If it’s of any interest I also have a couple of DAC's, TP Buffalo 3 and Meridian Explorer to compare with.

Thanks and all the best
Derek.

Attachments

• LA16 unfinished 12 03 13 006.jpg
    LA16 unfinished 12 03 13 006.jpg
    868.9 KB · Views: 840
  • LA16 unfinished 12 03 13 004.jpg
    LA16 unfinished 12 03 13 004.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 772
Hi Alex,

I would love to be able to listen to your DAC through my speakers (no crossover, full range line array's) before I spend the money on a top of the range DDD Dac set up like yours.

If it’s of any interest I also have a couple of DAC's, TP Buffalo 3 and Meridian Explorer to compare with.

Thanks and all the best
Derek.

Hi Derek, I have a four board DDDAC without the Sowters, you're more than welcome to have a listen. Depending on location of course. :) Send me a PM if you're interested.

Yes I have the Sowter transformers. I have not connected the USB part up yet so I cannot comment on it, but if it is anything like the SPDIF it should be even better on Hi res !!!! which I do not have yet.
Moving factory units so will have a break for a month or so then get some Hi res material and player together later ;-)

I'm not using the USB on mine much either. I have tried it out but I'm not certain I'm giving it a fair chance as it's going through the SPDIF board to the DAC via the switch.

Did you try the DAC without the Sowters? Much difference with them?

Hi Alex,

Thanks and all the best
Derek.
Hi Derek,

Where about are you in the UK ? I am in Hereford.

I was looking at the TP Buffalo but do like NOS, but to be fair I have never heard the Buffalo or the Meridian.
Those speakers look rather tasty ;-)
I have ATC50a`s with the SCA 2 preamp all running off a balanced mains supply so very revealing and a low noise floor.
A good match for the DDDAC as even with the volume up to the max, the DDDAC lets out a gentle hiss, very impressive and a heck of a lot quieter than the previous Audionote Dac.
Kind regards,
Alex.

I'm not using the USB on mine much either. I have tried it out but I'm not certain I'm giving it a fair chance as it's going through the SPDIF board to the DAC via the switch.

Did you try the DAC without the Sowters? Much difference with them?

Hi Guys,

Sorry to spoil the British party ;)

I tried differrent output options:
1) single ended with a Jensen copper foil paper in oil cap (modified, check this thread)
2) balanced with sowters
3) balanced directly

Because my amps have an input transformer I discovered I do not need the sowters (except for the extra gain).

The sound improved from step 1 to 3 by a big margin. So I can reccommend the transformers as a good upgrade. But using no trannie is even better if it fits with your amps.

If you have the possebility to use I2S instead of SPdif you can also gain in quality; jitter and low level resolution will benefit a lot.

@Alex:
I have been thinking about using the tantalum resistors, can you say anything about the difference in sound compaired to the resistors Doede delivers with the kit? What value did you use?

Regards,

Hi Supersurfer,
I never tried the original Dale resistors because the 2W AN tantalum have thick leads that needed the PCB holes drilled out to 1.5 mm... and I do not fancy desoldering them as it would put a lot of heat into the PCB. Took about 7 secs of 80W Weller power to solder them in.
Kind regards,
Alex.

I used 8 off 68 ohm 2W AN non magnetics @ £15.00 EA. They only get slightly warm ;-)