A new speaker opinion poll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks again for the comments.

Phil it is good to get the female perspective, that is almost always from a different point of view. I never considered flat wire, that would be very different.

Pano,
I'm not discounting your opinion, I believe you that the QSC speakers may actually sound good, I just don't think they are what people are going to want as far as visuals are concerned. It's actually amazing what people will buy and like. There was a speaker on Kickstarter that looked literally like a rectangular fish tank and they raised a boat load of money, you could see everything inside and it was god awful in my eyes but evidently a lot of people didn't agree with me! I've placed sound quality as my main goal initially, now I have to create the look that draws people in. Not everyone will like whatever I do, that is why we don't all drive cars that look the same or pick the same furniture or so many other things. Some people get a tattoo because they like them and others just because everyone else is doing it. I walk into some people's house and am instantly enamored with the looks, others I walk into and I feel like I am in a white hospital room, to each their own.

I have gotten ideas from what everyone is saying, some like the design instantly and some hate it, others have details they would change. So I would say this thread is working for me. I appreciate the advise that Lynn gives, it is from a different perspective. I know I'm not going to try and convince the powers that be at Stereophile to take a look and give me a review, that would only come later if the product is successful and they can't ignore it. This is really what I hope is a first design in a family of speakers, not the one and only model.

One more note PANO. I absolutely can't stand the sound of the Focal speakers, that has nothing to do with the looks, I actually think some of their designs are very nice looking, not all of them but they do have some beautiful designs. On the other hand I have had their dome tweeters and it took me awhile to identify why I was getting real fatigue listening to a set of speakers, what was it. It was their terrible dome tweeters, and they don't measure any better than they sound to me, the titanium just doesn't work. Perhaps their extremely expensive Be dome tweeters have solved that problem. I've had blind guest identify the titanium tweeters as soon as they entered the room, called it immediately and they couldn't see them so talking about a double blind listening test! Even John Curl had to admit that the tweeters in his Wilson speakers that use the Focal tweeter were a problem. I have heard this from many others.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Titanium can bother me, too. It's the speakers with the Be domes I like. Not sure if it's the Be or something else I like.

I've only heard the top of the line Focal, which I like very much. Can't vouch for the others or for the car stuff.

Pano,
I think a pair of the Focal Be tweeters cost as much as my complete powered speakers will be! Perhaps not really that much but they are very costly. I'm not going to go for that market, they can have the audiophile high end market, I don't want to play that game with these speakers. I would do that with my horn loaded designs but not with these types of designs.

waveguide 101

K12 Master_M2 ......looks good......simple artistic sculpture

Focal CMS65 monitor is PLAIN but sells well.

Attachments

• Master_M2_September_2014_1.jpg
    Master_M2_September_2014_1.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 120
  • cms-65z.jpg
    cms-65z.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 122
Linesource,
Two comments. One I don't see any way to attach a grill on the first speaker unless they have a magnetically attached grill. On the Focal I can clearly see the seem or design line around the enclosure. That has been commented on with my speaker. I actually did it on purpose but could easily remove the seam lines, I made them that way with a small recess to accentuate them. So you see what I mean about selective likes and dislikes depending on who is doing something like that. I can't say anything about how the focal speaker sounds, if it has the titanium I would hate them, at the same time I think they are just another generic box as far as the looks go. I wouldn't even look at them in a store if it was only on looks and I wasn't looking at names of who was making what.

Frank,
Thanks again for the comments. I do know some of Loewy's work, he did all sorts of things including trains I think. I love the real nice deco designs, the Nouveau designs are much more ornate pieces, more what I would call visual art than industrial design. I enjoy both styles and they somewhat overlap. I do think I can draw on the deco styling to pull this all together and attract the type of buyer who will appreciate both the design style and the great sound they are going to get. I see that some people are mixing end uses, I'm definitely not trying to make PA style equipment or go after the musician, that would look very different and would be much simpler to pull off. I'm also not going to compete with the lower cost major brands, I see those every weekend in the paper, columns and bookshelf speakers for $200 dollars and less. If these had an Apple name on them they would sell by the millions just because of the name, pricing wouldn't be the problem in the least.

Steven,

I was trying to get my own thoughts in order.

From point of view of speaker making art deco bugs me because its got edges, which are not good for sound

https://www.google.com/search?q="ar...oTCO3D7vz94McCFZA5iAod_McLwA&biw=1366&bih=635

Art nouveau not so much

https://www.google.com/search?q="ar...oTCLadgZn_4McCFYtJiAod-BkN0w&biw=1366&bih=635

Loewy came to mind because he did those neat looking Studebakers - including the Avanti, i'm thinking of the back and sides, not the front - and the Coke machines. He's an art deco guy who liked beautiful curves.

http://www.danjedlicka.com/images/classics/studebaker_avanti/2.jpg

I was thinking about what women like cuz you'd like your speaker to go anywhere. They like surfaces that look warm, perhaps have a bit of depth, and appear to have texture that invites stroking. If the shape were reminiscent of a flower bud, looked at from the front, and the grill was a nice "leaf shape", that might be a winner. Fellas wouldn't mind, they're sensitive to these things, but just not as aware as the women.

Gotta be beautiful and that's all about proportion and finish, and doesn't cost any more than pedestrian, as you know.

Frank,
I know that a lot of deco furniture has sharp edges and clean lines but some of it also has some nice curves. What I am noticing is that where there is a curve or design line it is accentuated with a different color and material. A chrome edge where I have the design line on the side would be what they would use to highlight the line there. A stepped grill with depth and layers would go with that style. I am getting ideas. I have not problem with textures, but that is a design element that needs to be done correctly. Keep it up, this is clarifying my ideas, I am getting back to the original thinking which went a bit off track. The stand can be a major design element bringing this all together.

If you look carefully you will see the screws around the dome tweeter, the four outer screws will not be there, the inner four can not be removed, no way around those.
I'm not sure whether the reason to "remove" these unremovable screws would be cosmetic or to reduce diffraction (or at this price point, both), but I'm thinking you can slightly inset them, then fill-and-cover the holes with something to fill them in and make the baffle flat with no discontinuities, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY5yqFv9K84&feature=youtu.be&t=2m52s
I showed your original renderings to my wife (she has a great aesthetic sense and design sensibility). Here are her comments:
5. She likes the screws around the tweeter.
Maybe you could fill them in, then add a screw DECAL around the tweeter.

benb,
Those screws would have to be accessible to repair the dome tweeter if you ever damaged the dome for some reason. I could recess them and then use some sort of cover that was color matched. I thought long and hard of a way to remove those last four screws and they are a mechanical necessity. I removed the outer four by changing the way the front plate would mount, now the screws are hidden internally to the enclosure, it changed the assembly method and order of assembly. You would have to remove the back heat sink and amplifier module to have access to repair the tweeter.

There was a speaker on Kickstarter that looked literally like a rectangular fish tank and they raised a boat load of money, you could see everything inside and it was god awful in my eyes but evidently a lot of people didn't agree with me!

Ah, but it was transparent - a novelty. Don't discount novelties. ..people still make money selling common rocks in boxes, it's not a "pet rock" anymore - now it's a meditation device.. :rolleyes: (..looked at someone in line at Barnes and Noble the other day asking about a rock in a box with the question: "what does it do?")

Also, wasn't it less than $500 US? That price seems to be a real threshold for the lower priced "will ship actual product to you". Definitely do not ignore pricing - now matter how "solid" your creation is from both an aesthetic and performance angle. ;)

Last edited:
Scott,
Yes it is amazing what people will contribute money for. How about the guy who just wanted to make a bowl of potato salad and ended up with enough money to fee an army! I would say it is very dependent on the story and the incentives or inducements you offer and the following you have created before you try and launch a funding program. It isn't as easy as it looks and some things never get a penny.

JBL Pulse 2 packs a splashproof lightshow to go with your tunes - SlashGear

I'm betting sales from this will make their entire K2 derived sales line look like pocket change.

1. connectivity
2. novelty
3. price

Marketing GENIUS (..at least solely for the product itself).

I like the price ... $200 each. You can bet this thing doesn't cost that much to make, my guess, less than $10 in typical Chinese/JBL quantities. The battery is probably the most expensive part.

But it does check all the marketing boxes. Portable, with battery-powered Bluetooth audio, check. Built-in mike for two-way speakerphone capability, check. The zany ability to copy any outside color and mimic it, check. A tiny disco you can carry with you, check.

This thing has been focus-grouped, something Harman International knows how to do pretty well. A lot of teenage and college-age girls will want this entertaining trinket.

Last edited:
I wanted to post a picture of a speaker I am working on with a couple others who will remain unnamed. This is a rendering of the speaker as I have developed it. I am just asking here what you think of the look and if you would be willing to pay about $1,500.00 for pair of powered speaker that looks like this.

Hi,

I think the concept of an elliptic driver to have a narrow box
is very wrong in itself to make a pretty looking box. I could never
purchase something like that especially if I had to look at the bare
drivers.

You could modify the base stand to be something like Dynaudio has
done with its mc 15 product.

I believe you could be successful with your design if you play smart
and do what customers value.

Be sincere to your clientele, keep the prices reasonable and do whatever
it takes to have a good support. Keep it simple. Be very specific what
guarantee covers and explain in detail why that has to be so.

Good luck!

Lojzek,
The driver design shape came first, the enclosure followed. I didn't want to do an MTM type of design, I wanted a cone that was the equivalent to a larger diameter cones SD without the width of the same equivalent. The cone is equivalent to the sd of many 7" cones manufactured by others. I will be offering a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

How a speaker interacts with listening room acoustics is in my opinion likely the weakest link in the entire audio reproduction process. But looks are what will sell things the fastest.

I would go for simple and beautiful. When I think of deco, I think of curves, not lines. Everything has lines. Lines can balance with and compliment curves. When I look for a great cabinet design, I explore antique radios on the web for ideas. They were created at a time when how the object contributed to the beauty of the home was a top priority. Futuristic art usually looks cold to me.

Lojzek,
The driver design shape came first, the enclosure followed. I didn't want to do an MTM type of design, I wanted a cone that was the equivalent to a larger diameter cones SD without the width of the same equivalent. The cone is equivalent to the sd of many 7" cones manufactured by others. I will be offering a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
That would be impressive, but make sure it is clearly articulated. Lifetime warranties can be attractive, but they work best when backed up by concrete examples.

A good example of a well presented, persuasive (at least to me :p), non-audiophile warranty is Saddleback Leather Company. This kind of thing, properly presented, might well be one of the things that you can build upon to distinguish your speaker from a crowded marketplace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.