A new pair of Silbury speakers: newbie questions

I can no more edit the post.
What I meant is: if it can be small, I would mount the Blanda-Gronsaker on top of this mirrored-truncated pyramid.
If not, can it be mounted on the front corner?
On top would be better looking IMO.

The external part should also be not that difficult to build, as all 8 faces are exaclty the same.
I guess it will need some internal mechanical reinforcement to stiffen the structure.

Last edited:
Playing a bit more with Sketchup (I don't know how to shape the drop-like top speaker, a sphere is enough to give the idea):

1697237929736.png
1697238019375.png
1697238067821.png

Thanks Dave, so I would say this is easier to be implemented, it gives truncated pyramid effect plus suprabaffle on both woofers and frontal speaker, and gives more freedom to set the XO. In reality it would be easier to truncate all parts simmetrically (front, rear, top and bottom).

1697272326666.png
1697272842363.png
1697272890153.png

Good luck with those; I found several of Dave’s designs were far easier for him to dream of and draw than fabricate using conventional materials and techniques - most notably, the Facetts - but with 3D printing -up to a certain size?- I guess anything is possible.
Just don’t forget to provide access for wiring, XO compartment if applicable, and damping materials. Does material exist for 3D applications that could emulate absorbtive function for damping?

I must say a great thank you to my best friend Marco who did an astonishing work not only in building them, but also in thinking, inventing and building items to build it. Really impressive!

Also a great thank you to all of the designers of these speakers. I will keep you posted on sonic results. They look gorgeous!

Reactions: 2 users
The four sisters together.

IMG_6165.jpeg

We removed the speakers from the FHXL to give the cabinets a couple of layers of parquet oil and wax after brushing the surfaces with a sandpaper 180.

All four front sides of each speaker are beveled at 45 degrees then sandpapered to soften the edges.

Two slots have been cut, 38 mm x 5 mm depth into the bottom of each speaker for utriggers.

I still need to cut and glue the felt to the sides behind the speaker, add the cables for the speakers into the Silbury, glue the draft excluder for the drivers and give them a try.

I indeed tried the Silbury by talking into the driver hole with my hands to fit the mouth to the hole. I felt like I could sing like Mario Biondi with a deep deep voice.

Reactions: 1 users
I played them through a non optimal system for them: Daphile music player, Topping E50 DAC and a class D TPA3116 power amp (with a too low Zout for them).

Still… astonishing. Really astonishing.
Definition, space, depth, lows are houseshaking but incredibly fast. You can hear the pluck of the bass and the punch in your chest, while singers seem in the room with you.

FHXL are marvelleous, I really like them, but with Silbury you have done one big step ahead.

They make you say at every end of the song: just one more, just one…

Thank you alot, Silbury will be in the livingroom, while FHXL on the upper floor.

Reactions: 3 users