• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A new fashion tube design!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Frank...the only interlocutor in town....

Morals aside

Moral must have a company that sell this piece of crap...as a High End amplifier...for all over the world...imagine the number of
people that spend their money in a thing like that...

I would either have it corrected it or not sell it at all, it is going to turn up like the proverbial bad penny anyway

To spend more time and money in a amp like that seems to me dobius...as if the output transformers are made by the same people....they don´t give me any trust....

And with the money of the sell he can chose another project ,even a kit and learn something in the processe...
Somehow I knew that pot should left alone...

The more you talk...the more i learn about your expertise in amplifier design....:rolleyes:

But now talking to Foe...do what you think is best for you....

Arrivederci!!

it would seem to me that the pot within the feedback loop would work (although I would not do that) as a gain control.

yes linearity would suffer at low levels as it does not have the feedback to clean it up

with the gain set high enough the maximum gain would be determined by the external loop

review the formula for gain of a feedback amplifier

Vo / Vi = a / ( 1 + a*b)

where Vo is output, Vi input, a is open loop gain and b is feedback (as a fraction)

as a becomes large (high open loop gain) the overall gain aproaches 1/b

as a is lowered the gain aproaches a/1 and the exernal feedback is not significant to aid in linearity and the linearity of the amp is dependant on each stage

The lost post....

Sorry Foe i miss your post #35...only now i see it...
Oh Sorry, i forget de most important R10,R11,R12 are connected to the ground

Yes...if not the amp can't work at all....;)

Why R8 and R9 have different values.

Because R9 is drived by a comum cathode stage and R8 by a ground grid stage...the diference in resistors values is for to compensate this diferences in gain...and reduce distortion.

Why R14 is just 1K in my amplifier, due to higher gain of the EL90 ./.EL41 ?

If the R14 that i "think" is the feedback resistor is 1K the overal voltage gain will be 6...only....can't be...
Doyou know Synthesis amplifier ??

Yes!
What do you have @ home ?

I have Jadis Orchestra heavily transformed even with remote control...and a Luxman SQ38 also heavily transformed...i´m a danger for the amps...heehehhehe...

For ending...are you sure that the pot at the input as been properly conected?'

Cheers :drink:

PS . if your final decision is to try to fix your amp...teel me...we will try!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
bournville said:
Yes, it may act as a volume control, but it may not have been designed for that function, but to control the level of feedback.

We've agreed that putting a vol control in a feedback loop is bad practice, so looking at the circuit it appears wrong. However, the designer may have wanted to give the listener some degree of control over the level of feedback (for whatever reason) so the pot was placed there for that purpose.

It's not what we would do, but who knows what was in the head of the designer? Incidentaly, it's not the first time I've seen a vol control within a feedback loop!

I haven't actively followed this thread, but pls note that in this amp the feedback is very weak, probably less than 10dB. So, the fb is not really "fighting back", and the volume control will have much more effect than you might think. I think it really is a volume control, but I agree it is quite inelegant. This is Not Done.

Jan Didden

I will survive !

Hi all,

Even if my amplifier is pure scrap, i have the secret hope to transform it info a true (not hi end but not so bad) amplifier.
Then, I will not sell it to my best frend.
I am now bak at the original shematics, and i can hear 50Hz when the volume is at the maximum.
OK, but how to solve it ? More feedback or less gain in SRPP ? I have no idea !
Anyway, does someone know ao "Tubes for Dumies" book other thas "Audio classroom". The question is how tocalculate the different usual kind of stage ?

Thanks to all and especialy to Jorge.

Gauthier:h_ache:

The amp that becomes famous...

i have the secret hope to transform it info a true (not hi end but not so bad) amplifier.

OK,let's work in it....

First of all....measure the values of the resistors R14 and R3 ...for that you need to take one end of the resistor out of the circuit...

After measure the voltage at the point where R4 conect to C2 and the pin 3 of the tube...

Check this two points ...and let me know!

Cheers!
:cool:

Foes,

No reason why your amp should not give good service - the circuitry from V2 onwards is fairly straightforward and non-controversial.

How loud is the 50hz hum? You say you can hear it at the full setting of the volume control - is it noticable at other levels?

(If you have no use for the EM80 magic eye in the amp, why not remove it and the associated circuitry? It will mean that your power supply will have less demand on it)

Hi Jorge,
Why do you want to mesure the resistor, i know the values :
R14=1K 1W
R3=200Ohm 1/8W
I say that because it's difficult to desolder double side PCB's...
Anyway, i will mesure the voltage...

Hi Bournville,
The 50Hz is only noticable at high level, i mean from 3/4 of the max position of the pot @ the original position...
Indeed, i can remove EM80 but if the PS is so underdimentioned... no hope!

The resistor

Why do you want to mesure the resistor, i know the values :
R14=1K 1W
R3=200Ohm 1/8W

Hi Foe if is this the values...they are wrong ...see the gain of the amp in this case will be 6X .. .:bigeyes:

I'm wating for the voltage measurement...

Regards

PS : In the schematic R14 is 5,6k a value that will produce a closed loop voltage gain of 29X...(a more creadible value).

An unusal amp...

Well,

I understand that the volume pot is still in it's original position, as it is too difficult to remove from the PCB - therefore hum pickup must be around V1.

Have you tried leaving that pot at maximum, and connecting another pot for controlling volume at the input to V1 - that would mean that the feedback was always at maximum and help indentify if the hum pick-up was occuring in the input leads/connectors.

Dear Jorge,

I have mesured voltage on different point of the circuit :
R3.R2=0.2V
V1(2)=1.7V
V1(7)=86V
V1(8)=89V
V2(2,8)=9.7V
V3,4(1,6)=289V
V3,4(8)=14.1V
V3,4(2,9)=290V
Bad luck, when mesuring V2(4)and V2(6), it seems i have burned something. Hopefuly, The amp is under waranty. I will try to make warranty work...
Anyway,
R14=5.6K
R3=200Ohms

Dear Bournville,
In fact i have tryed to put at the input but it is now bak at the original position. Even with input short circuited, i ear 50Hz when pot is @ the max...

Regards,

Gauthier

Alive !

Hi, Jorge,

No i'am not joking,
Left channel is giving continuous 50Hz @ a quite high level in my speakers...
I have tryed to swap V1 and V2 between both chanel withour result.
Well, after reading your message, i have tried again. I think i have a bad contact on one soldering. ("Soudure sèche" in french).
I fix it soon. OK my amplifyer is still alive... Nice !

Doubts...

I don't understand...
You want to short V1(8) with V2(3) ??
Presentely V2(3)=0V and V1(8)=89V. V2(3) is a grid and i can probably force it to this level, but a dV of 89V between grid and cathode is quite high, isn't it ? (heuh, sorry, i'm maybe wrong, i am from the AOP generation...).
Anyway, what would be the improvement in yur proposition ? I don't realy understand, even if you are probabely right ...
Regards,

Gauthier:bigeyes:

Only the one that think has doubts....

You want to short V1(8) with V2(3) ??

Yes they need to be conected directely with a wire...(conection directe)

If not the grid 3 of V2 will be at ground potencial and the current across R7 ...R8 ...R9 will be to low...

This is the problem with your amp...

Presentely V2(3)=0V and V1(8)=89V. V2(3) is a grid and i can probably force it to this level, but a dV of 89V between grid and cathode is quite high, isn't it

When you conect directly V1(8) to V2(3) the cathode of V2 will folow the grid voltage ( 89 volts) and the resistor of the cathode becomes properly biased...and the current in each of the triodes of V2 will be aproxi. 3mA and at the anodes the voltage will became aprox.140 volts under the high tensionn voltage...
In this condition the phase spliter work fine...
Anyway, what would be the improvement in yur proposition ? I don't realy understand, even if you are probabely right
The inprovement is that the cliping and the distortions will be gone...now the voltage across R8 R9 are to low...

Trust me...thats the problem!

Ps but to work propely you must:
Delect and put out of circuit R5-470k
Delect and put the the pot at the input(sorry...but it must be)
Delet C2
AND ONLY AFTER THAT....conect V1 (8) to V2 (3)...

Compris???
En avant vers la musique!!!:nod:

Not so bad...

Hi Jorge,

I have tried the modifications you have proposed. I mean : Pot at the input C2 Shorted and R5 supressed.
The result is clearly better. No saturation due to high input level anymore. The sound is sharper also, i thing.
Well done, you where right.
I still have a quite high 50Hz noise in the speaker, but dificult to determine the reason why. Probably, this is generated (amplified) by the first stage, and now that i have no attenuation before the second one... I can hear it...
Another question also is the quite low curent in the first stage (89v-86v)/1.5k=2mA this is low for such a tube is'n it ?
Anyway, it's better, and thank you.
Regards,

Gauthier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.