A little help choosing an amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Professor smith said:
Wouldnt you imagine that most modern speakers vary from 4-8 ohm?

Williham said:
Ah, well my Q Acoustic 1050s are 6ohm, so I'll keep that in mind when buying my next set.
So is the difference between chip amps and transistor amps that transistor amps use discrete transistor setups to amplify whereas chip amps use ICs?
Also, why can't I use my amp for parties?
most speakers in the UK were 8ohms.
Many have gone to using 4ohm bass/mid and 8ohm treble to improve the apparent efficiency of the speakers. But all they have achieved is drawing more current at the same output voltage for the bass/mid driver. The efficiency is not better, the sensitivity is better.

Chipamps are generally rated at <=7Apk when cold. This limit will drop as the internal temperature of the chipamp increases. Most will not drive low impedance loads without hitting some type of current limit on transients.

Parties are a demanding time for amplifiers and speakers. I suspect that 90% of domestic equipment that suffers damage, does so during a party. I have heard it and seen it.

The difference between a competently designed discrete amplifier and a chipamp is that each component of the discrete can be selected to meet the demands of the designer, whereas the chipamp is integrated and the manufacturer has made all those selections/choices/compromises for the user.

They are in the business of selling chipamps. If we are daft enough to blow them up driving 4ohm speakers they will only too gladly sell you more of them.

Go and read the Cambridge threads. You will find many suggestions in there that will perform better than swapping rectifier diodes.

a really good option...

You may want to look at the amps from Virtue Audio, I have a Virtue 1 and it puts most anything in the sub 2000USD range to shame.

Detail, fine texture, musicality, pace, rhythm... and quite a lot of that ¨grab the woofer¨ grunt, especially into 4 ohm loads. My system runs at 90dB with impedance of 3 ohms and this amp puts out gobs of power, louder than I want to listen to... and that means sometimes really, really loud. Tremendous bass and impact as well.
Could be ideal for what you are wanting.

I love the sound of this thing, and the small package size makes it ideal for many applications, college dorm etc.

I have replaced my amps at home with this, and plan on using another one for a portable ultra high end rig.

Seriously, this little amp holds its own against SETs for sound, stomps all of the chip amps, blows away the underpowered little 10w t-amps, as well as many big transistor amps for sheer grunt... for under 400 USD, there is a LOT to like. I would advise the high power supply option.

And, no, this is not a paid ad! I just want to share something that I feel is the best high end audio bargain I have seen in many years.

so here´s their link http://store.virtueaudio.com/

Couple more questions I've just gotta fire away, Im getting there but my knowledge will never be the vast database of communal knowledge here! :p
Firstly, Im looking to get some fancy caps for upgrading the amp with, just because I can realy, but as far as fancy caps go, are Black gates the bomb diggedy?
Also, Destroyer X or infact anyone, the second schematic you posted, for the 100n caps, what type should I use?
Cheers again chaps,
Will

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.