A how to for a PC XO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ackcheng said:
Hi Shin,

I understand that if I want to use the same computer as playback source and as convolution using Convolver, I need to route the output of the program like DVDPower back to the input so that Convolver can get the signal. I am planning to buy RME AES32 which has 16 channels out.

If I use 5.1 playback, say AES 1 -6 which is than route to AES 1-6 input. (6 channels are used to route back) and I am left with 10 channels for convolver to use as output (AES 7-16). Am I correct?

Some RME cards such as fireface800, HDSP 9632 have internal loopback. You can access this in totalmix matrix mixer and hold CTRL then click the tab at the bottom of the playback channel you want to loopback. However I'm not sure about the AES16 since I never used that card before, I do know the HDSP 9652 doesn't have this feature and that's digital card too.

If it works, you keep all your input and outputs. If not then you have to get jack working or settle for 10 inputs and 10 outputs.

Email RME and ask before buying so you know what to expect.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I'm working on a guide to Acourate. Its written from a users point of view and is easily accessible. For anyone who owns Acourate or is interested in what offers then it may prove useful.

Its not finished yet but I would like if folks who do download could read through, spot any errors and email me so I can update.

Download is PDF and ~7Mb:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gtmk2mymxyj

Hello guys, I am kind of new to the forum here. I am in the process of wrapping up an active 3-way system in my car that has caused me many headaches. I have been starting to research new "small" projects for me to start to possibly replace in my car (Carputer) or the beginnings of a stereo system.

I realize that the learning curve on integrating PCs into stereo systems is quite steep (Especially so in cars) so I want to begin small with most likely a 2 or 3 way set of speakers that I can expand to a 5.1 home theater system and carputer system. I am looking to get a relatively cheap computer for the sole purpose of experimenting with the programs to learn.

What I have learned from "A how to for a PC XO":
I will admit that I haven't been able to read the entire 31 page article yet, but I do believe I got the general gist of what is required. I also have researched the wiki on mp3car.com on their version of plugins. I have learned so much these past few weeks that my mind wants to explode and see what else is possible at the same time!

Both places mention Console and using a RME HDSP-9632, which is what I most likely will use for my system. I guess my first question in my most likely LONG line of questions is what else is required as a minimum to start learning and experimenting?

Additionally, I noticed in the how to here and generally most of the plugins mentioned on that page are a bit pricy ($800 for a crossover) while most of the software on the carputer site is freeware (4-way crossover). I haven't been able to really compare them because I cannot afford $800 just to sample a piece of software, but is there a difference in the quality of the output on the free softwares or are they limited in some other way?

Thanks alot guys for helping me out on basically starting from scratch on this knowledge base! Also, if there is a wiki or faq or something I missed and this is general info please direct me where I need to go to do some more research!

BTW, I tried to make this its own thread but a warning to use the search button before posting came up and wouldnt let me submit my post. Is there a reason for this?

my Idea of a cheapo XO

Hallo,
here is my Idea of an "el cheapo XO":

I want to use foobar2000 as mediaplayer to play back my .flac-files with the following two plugins:
- ChannelDivider
- foo_convolve

That way I will have:
- lossless files
- FIR filter with correct phase
- flattened, room corrected response

Here is a nice DRC HowTo:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1350058/DRC_Guide_v1.0.pdf.html

The Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 Hifi ist the Soundcard I want to use. The two reasons for that are:
- number of channels (8 out)
- internal routing with DirectWire 3.0

I have a Behringer ECM 8000 mic and currently a EMU 1212m here.

The speakers are 2-Way DIY Widerange in Tractrix Horns with 12" Bass:

(my Audio-PC in the middle)

Within the next days I want to buy a 4-Way T-Amp from 41Hz.com:
- Amp9 with Tripath TAA4100A

This should work pretty good, shouldn´t it?

Thank You!:)

ShinOBIWAN said:

Yep you don't get full channel count without physical routing and wastage of other I/O's on the card such as ADAT or AES/ABU. RME, MAudio and EMU cards are amongst the best for the windows IMO since these allow full internal loopback and all channels to be used.

Hi everybody,

First post here :)

Actually there is an internal loopback option on the lynx.
It reroutes 8 of the Lstreams outputs to the following 8 Lstreams inputs.
It is thus usable if you are not already using those steams with an I/O daughter card.

see : http://www.lynxstudio.com/support_docs_result.asp?c=32

BUT, for now, trying to use the feature to use console with MPC via Asio4All, i managed to feed 6 channels to console (the Lstreams "inputs"), see the meter moving in some EQ plugins, but didn't manage to get the sound back to the soundcard outputs! :whazzat: :confused:

Anyone tried that?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
mycall said:

Hi everybody,

First post here :)

Actually there is an internal loopback option on the lynx.
It reroutes 8 of the Lstreams outputs to the following 8 Lstreams inputs.
It is thus usable if you are not already using those steams with an I/O daughter card.

see : http://www.lynxstudio.com/support_docs_result.asp?c=32

BUT, for now, trying to use the feature to use console with MPC via Asio4All, i managed to feed 6 channels to console (the Lstreams "inputs"), see the meter moving in some EQ plugins, but didn't manage to get the sound back to the soundcard outputs! :whazzat: :confused:

Anyone tried that?

Hi mycall and welcome to DIYA.

What your talking about here, is this the thing with the jumper on the card PCB? I can't remember, its been awhile now.

If so I used those with the AES expansion so they were taken.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi ShinOBIWAN

Yes that's the thing with the jumper...so it's of no use in your case...:whazzat:

For me it would be usable, as i have no expansion board.

But, i still do not manage to get the audio back to the soundcard output through console using ASIO4ALL...

I just tried with VstHost, and, while i managed to use directly the Lynx AsiO drivers simultanuously with the directsound drivers used by MPC, and managed to get the 5.1 audio in VstHost, i still get no audio at the outputs of the lynx that are patched to the asio drivers... :dead:

a DRC PC between

Hi, i already read the whole thread and i am impressed of all the
experts here.

I like to build a DRC-PC, that works between the Standallone BluRayPlayer (Like Panasonic BD 55) with internal decoding of
DTS Master and TrueHD and the Amp at the other side.

The PC only have to do one thing perfect :
Take the 8x analog Channels, make DRC and put the 8x analog
channels to the amp.

No XO, no Volumeadjust.

- Which Soundcard should i use ?
- I prefer XP, which Software should i use ?
(I think audiolense and console - anything else oder better ?)

@Shin : I have read, that you store the Blurays on a server, after
you convert it to h.264 and AC3 audio.
Is there no lack of quality compared to the original track in TrueHD oder MasterAudio ?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: a DRC PC between

Originally posted by Sonopanic - Which Soundcard should i use ?

Something like the RME fireface 800 will take 8 in and 8 out. Excellent quality too. If that's a little expensive you could try the MOTU 828mk3 which is similarly spec'd but somewhat lower quality overall.

- I prefer XP, which Software should i use ?
(I think audiolense and console - anything else oder better ?)

I'd recommend Acourate and console with convolver.

@Shin : I have read, that you store the Blurays on a server, after
you convert it to h.264 and AC3 audio.
Is there no lack of quality compared to the original track in TrueHD oder MasterAudio ?

Depends on the disc. A number of the older back titles that aren't current releases yet still claim to sport the multi channel HD audio formats are often simply remasters of the older DD5.1 or DTS mixes. Sometimes they've simply been upconverted from 48 to 96Khz. Ripping these sort of examples down results in no appreciable loss of quality because the benefits of HD weren't there in the first place.

Converting a true 24bit/96Khz such as those on current release does decrease sound quality but not by an amount to lose any enjoyment over. This is still 24bit/48Khz audio afterall. The main difference I've noticed is that the highs are slightly less smooth after downsampling.

I'm all for quality so if it was a big deal I'd avoid it. As it stands there's no real loss.

BerntR said:
mycall,

You can only do 2 channel loopback with LynxTwo B.

Hi BerntR,

Are you sure of this?

Because it looks like i managed to get 8 channels of loopback (i mean hardware loopback) with the jumper on the card.

Routing the 6 channels of device 1 (fed by MPC) back to the Lstream inputs actually works, and i managed to get them in console/vsthost through ASIO. But sending them back to the lynxtwo through ASIO does not seem to work, whatever the number of channels.

And, it looks like the WDM driver is seen only 2 channels at a time, and thus console (or vsthost) only allows to select one stereo device for input and one device for output.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ok now i'm sure I understand you well!:cannotbe:
Je suis français, mon Ingliche est bad... :clown:

(I wasn't sure if you were talking about the physical rerouting only or combined with the driver routing)

I guess the total number of busses must be 16, which is not enough to route 6 channels 3 times! :bawling:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Sonopanic said:
As i have read about Accourate, its for two channel only.

I need a 7.1 DRC

How about a cheaper card like a M-Audio 1010 LT ?

Acourate doesn't have a channel count. It can process stereo(two filters) or mono(one filter) at a time but you can do this however many times is needed.

I run a 4 speaker setup and its no problem, you could run an 11.2 system and it would be no issue either.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
mycall said:
ok now i'm sure I understand you well!:cannotbe:
Je suis français, mon Ingliche est bad... :clown:

(I wasn't sure if you were talking about the physical rerouting only or combined with the driver routing)

I guess the total number of busses must be 16, which is not enough to route 6 channels 3 times! :bawling:

Try an RME interface. These have the best routing with no practical limit on the number of loopback channels and sound great too.

My personal favourite would be the Fireface 800 but the multiface 2 is another nice one.

Sonopanic said:
As i have read about Accourate, its for two channel only.

I need a 7.1 DRC

How about a cheaper card like a M-Audio 1010 LT ?

That card should work.

In your setup, Bidule from Plogue is likely to work at least as well as Console. They both are slightly demanding for new users, and it is easy to do the wrong thing and then the VST host hangs. In my expreience Bidule is slightly more robust, and less likely to get the hangup in the hands of an inexperienced user.

In the convinience department, Bidule has a slight advantage since you can open it with your choosen setup as default.

For Asio playback which is probably what you will use here the two are probably doing the job equally well.

MME and Direct Sound: Bidule doesn't accept capturing audio from one sound card's inputs and rendring to another soundcard's output. This is a deliberate design choice by David Viens. A mixed stream often causes glitches in the audio stream due to clock speed differences. On the other hand Bidule supports multichannel MME and Direct Sound, but high bit debth is downconverted to 16 bits.

Console accepts this kind of mixing of cards with MME and Direct Sound, but only 2 channel 16 bit. Together with Virtual Audio Cable (that appears as a sound card towards the software players) this is sometimes a good start for users only looking for regular stereo correction.

As shinOBIWAN says, with acourate you have to repeat the process for each speaker / driver that you are going to correct. And then you have to do quite a few extra things to get a decent integration.

Audiolense is the only multichannel solution that addresses all aspects of driver integration, speaker integration and bass management for the complete speaker setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.