Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:clown:

PAPA'S KOAN ....... was Papa's Surprise

190274d1286048840-papas-koan-papas-surprise-pk-action-jpg

Joined 2019
Paid Member

That is a fantastic story! Congratulations. I read the thread. I am curious re: if you ever did anything fun with the BF862s? I have some left over from building some of the pocket class A amps (aka the Altoids amps). I know that was some time ago, but I'd be happy to try and send some.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
tnx for offer .......... though - I have few dozens

I had some fun with them years ago , colaboration with few boyz at Baby DiyA , but not fully involved

when it became important , 862 started being obsolete , and I realized that there is 2SK2145BL - good enough for my needs ............. real Toshiba ,perfect for spoiled brat

:)

Capacitor choice

6L6, any chance you could share which capacitors you have used in your build guide?

NP has a strong recommendation back in 2007-2008 on Elna Silmic's, however it looks like you haven't used them in your build guide. I am wondering if there is a new best practice for capacitors emerging over the years

Many thanks!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
PSU capacitors? 10mm 2-pin snap-in leads, 15,000uF or larger, 35mm max diameter, 25v minimum.

If you buy first-tier brands from first-tier distributors, there's no magic formula beside that. :yes:

Caps on the PCB? I like Nichicon that say "audio" on the side. I figure if there's a bunch of engineers in Japan who are working on making the capacitors behave properly at AF, that's good enough for me. :D

Last edited:
PSU capacitors? 10mm 2-pin snap-in leads, 15,000uF or larger, 35mm max diameter, 25v minimum.

If you buy first-tier brands from first-tier distributors, there's no magic formula beside that. :yes:

Caps on the PCB? I like Nichicon that say "audio" on the side. I figure if there's a bunch of engineers in Japan who are working on making the capacitors behave properly at AF, that's good enough for me. :D

Yes, my bad. I meant 220 uF caps on the pcb.
I ran into post from NP, from 2008 where he suggested Elna Silmik/Silk caps. You have some great measurements there in the first post: I was wondering what you have chosen.

Which Nichicon models are they? Can you remember?

Thanks again!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
...but remember that Wayne said that the new production silmic are made in a different factory and don't sound as good...

As Jeff says, the KA's are the Nichicon that actually say 'audio' on the side, but quite a few more series have them marked 'for audio' on the datasheet - KZ, FG, FW, KA, and the bipolar ES.

Panasonic FC, being back in production, are also a great choice, being the cap that were in the factory-built Alephs.

And here's some great information about the subject of coupling caps -

SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps?

SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps? Part 2

SYclotron Audio | Capacitor Obsessions- The Zombie Awakes (edited to add data 2/21/18)

Last edited:
I have a preamp with two outputs that allows me to easily test the influence of different output capacitors on the sound. I wish they didn't sound different, but at least in my system (ps audio pw dac -> Don Sachs vta sp14 pre -> f4 monos -> Coincident PRE's) they do. Easy to just flip the cables between outputs for quick a/b comparisons and I believe anyone here would hear the differences. Changes in frequency emphasis, soundstage, tonality, etc...

Fortunately it is not the case that more expensive = better.

Oh indeed. Now I remember (anectodially, not fully sure) something like:
- Former Silmics manufactured in Japan (with brown sleeves and silver markings)
- New ones are manufactured in Thailand (with black sleeves and yellow markings)

Thanks 6L6!

Recent production Silmic (RFS) is made in Thailand, with brown sleeve and white (grayish) marking. As far as I can remember from late 2017.

Older Elna LAO power lytic has black sleeve and yellow/gold marking (with "For Audio" marking), but I think this is no longer produced.

So if I understand correctly, there is no way to get more power from F4 with single ended inputs, because monoblock configuration will just give me more current capabilities right?

I'm listening to F4 paired with Ale Moglia's 01A SIC biased pre for a few days now and I'm totally delighted.
This combination has all the pros of DHT and all the hard work is perfectly done by F4.

What will be best option to get more power from this setup? Some kind slightly step-up balancing transformer?
Right now I'm totally satisfied by spl I get from my Alpairs 7.3. But I'm about to move to bigger place in near future, so more power might be needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's great thing about Ale's design, that it's basically getting max MU out of tube in use. In case of 01A, gain should be 18.55dB (or 8.4x). If fed with 2 v source it should lead to approx 17 v output.

I know It's not clipping limit of the amp, but it's getting near those stated 20 v and there is some beauty in single gain stage.

Circuit in use is exactly the one described here in the end of article.

Last edited: