a good second hand turntable for teenager

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My son has developed an interest in vinyl, and has bought a few second hand LP's. He's interested in sound recording, music and production and I think it would be quite nice to get him his own turntable.

I don't have one, having gone completely digital in the 80's. I recall a lot of the models from back then and earlier and wonder what would be good ebay buys in terms of performance, reliability and obtaining spares. I was thinking of predominantly European brands from that period for around £50 i.e something to get him started .

My father owned a couple of Thorens, but I also recall rega, dual, Dunlop, Michell, Linn. There were other grands such as Connoisseur and Lenco which were a bit older at that time.

From a simplicity of use point of view I also wondered about some of the B&O beogram turntables ? The early ones look simple, though the later ones look like they might have lots of features that would fail over time

I also recall that AR did a very well thought of turntable..

Any suggestions for one I should start looking on ebay for. maybe an overlooked gem from the past.

Dual decks are a good choice, cheap as they were popular (which makes parts easy to get, not that you'll need them I'd hope) and set up well they can be made to sound almost as good as the big boys. The beogram's are more likely to break, and the cartridges are very expensive (to the tune of £125). If your looking to spend more the Rega's are the best imo for mod's, quality and design...

Thanks again, yes my father had a TD150 Mk 2 for many years and it was a wonderful piece of equipment. Probably still working, as he sold it on to get a TD160.

I think the only thing against the Thorens may be the price. They typically go for > £150.

Are lenco's good ? I recall in the 80's they were rather under appreciated, but they seem to have had a resurgence. well made and with the novelty of the extra speeds (i.e 78 !) . I'm inclined to avoid the Japanese direct drive models , as much from a heritage point of view though I recall the Sansui SR222 was THE budget turntable at one time, before Dual took and held that title.

many thanks for the input

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dual 503-1 is fine payer, somehow resembling 455 model. 455 has suspended subchassis while 503-1 has shaft and arm fixed to plinth & it has suspended feet. 503-1 has solid wood or plastic plinth, sells used now maybe for under £ 40. 455 with solid plinth (MDF or wood) sells around £ 70 and up.

I never liked the (semi)automatic operation (all Duals have some automatic mechanism), so I convert it to manual operation.

My son has developed an interest in vinyl, and has bought a few second hand LP's. He's interested in sound recording, music and production and I think it would be quite nice to get him his own turntable.

Since he is a teenager I wouldn't wrap up a bunch of money in an expensive turntable. If it were me I would buy him a disco type turntable with a built in phono preamp that would be capable of the abuse of moving the record back and forth to make those undesirable sounds that the age group like to hear. Save the expensive turntable for a graduation or other present after it has been determined if it is a genuine interest or just a fad he is going thru.

Under £50?
Forget the european brands, you will need to triple your budget for a good one, just look on Ebay at finished sales for the likes of the Thorens.

Tough call, Pioneer PL12d if you can find one, these were extremely popular.
Retro Hi-Fi Pioneer PL12D

Double or triple your budget and you will open up your options dramatically.
A second hand Project Genie (current product) would be a good choice.

Hi,

For £50 your extremely limited due to the cost of decent replacement cartridges.

Ideally you should know how to service a basic old turntable.

In the UK IMO for £50 you should be looking at a Dual CS505 importantly
fitted with a decent cartridge with a needle in good condition, otherwise
you be looking at at least £50 for a decent new cartridge or new stylus.

Local classified are the best for budget turntables, most likely the seller
won't factor in the cartridge, they are very expensive to replace nowadays.

rgds, sreten.

As Sreten implies, want a dirt cheap bargain best to forget ebay, but will need to put more effort in chasing classified ad's, post office windows, garage sales, Car boot sales etc.

Dual cs505 (I saw a couple of these in a skip at the local tip last week)
Pioneer Pl12d (so common bargains still available even on ebay).
Rega Planar 2 (old version S arm)

Second hand recent product:
Project Debut
Project Genie

Budget for another £35 -£50 to replace the cart or at least the stylus.

Thanks guys for the continued and valued input. A couple of things I have taken away :

1) I need to reconsider the budget

2) My son is not a DJ. The LP's he's amassed are classic albums like DSOTM and Sgt Pepper, so warrant something reasonable and also something that is less likely to damage them.

3) My head says a Dual, though their funny plastic headshells & chasis are a little off putting. Looks like the 503 reverted back to a better headshell arrangement ? My heart says a TD150 as this was the first turntable I ever used, and I know how well made they are.

Hi,

One model to look out for is the Dual 505 mk3 or 4. Its very different to the Mk1
and Mk2, much better build, and it cost twice as much as the previous models new.
But as a 505 it still be found reatively cheap for what it is.

Another model to look out for is the AR EB101, IMO the best budget starter
turntable out there, if you live near Wakefield take a look on epray.co.uk.
(Ed Saunders Red Ed Cartridge for a new stylus for than particular one.)

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks guys for the continued and valued input. A couple of things I have taken away :

1) I need to reconsider the budget

2) My son is not a DJ. The LP's he's amassed are classic albums like DSOTM and Sgt Pepper, so warrant something reasonable and also something that is less likely to damage them.

3) My head says a Dual, though their funny plastic headshells & chasis are a little off putting. Looks like the 503 reverted back to a better headshell arrangement ? My heart says a TD150 as this was the first turntable I ever used, and I know how well made they are.

I think the TD-150 is an excellent choice, and has sufficiently good performance to do his record collection justice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.