A good book for beginners!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a goog book for beginner!

Hi everybody!

i'm new on this forum.
I'm searching a good book to start up.
I'm an electronic engineer but i'm totally new in audio design's field.

i've bought the following books:

Title: Valve and Transistor Audio Amplifiers
Author(s): John Hood

Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook
Edition: 4Rev ed
Author(s): Douglas Self

Valve Amplifiers
Edition: 3Rev ed
Author(s): Morgan Jones

i still have to receive the first one (valve and transistor)...first of all ...and so....... i've started to read the douglas self's book.
It's too advanced for me, because it talks of concept without a lot of explanation (not at all).
Furthermore, the authour is a fan in feedback and class b amp, and i don't (maybe i'm wrong!).

Anyway, i would look for a very book for beginners in audio developing.
I know there is the art of linear electronic, but the new version won't be out for other time .

I hope to receive some good advice from all of you guys.

Best regards,
Stefano.

thanks.

I can try to get that book, but i think i would need more a book that goes in basic conept on the project of amplifier.
For insatce a book that would consider the feedback and the modeing of the amp.
I need a book that covers the miller compensation and other concept that in the douglas's book are skipped.

From the review of the book that oyu higlighted me seems to be a cookbook, but i can be wrong!

Regards,
Stefano.

anyway....

i'm reading right now the douglas's book and i'm just see words.
it's hard for me to understad the effect of the retroaction by seeing a class b circuit's amplifier and just talking about the effects without any caculation or explanation of what is said.

i cannot judge this book since my limited knwoledge of amp design, but i just can say that it's not really understandable for people like me, with engeineer background, but without experiencce on amplifier design.

i would definitely need a book with a enough math equation wwhere you can see why the highest poe affect the stability...or why the VAS is modeld by integrator and why the cmil affects the stability....an so forth for other concepts.

i hope to get some help from you guys.
i'm sure one i will read other book then this book will be usefull and clear...even if i prefere an author that is not a fan of feedback and calls b amplifier.

looking forward...

Best wishes.
Stefano.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Stefanoo said:
. . . but i can be wrong!

More books than already have? It can be wrong!

Here is a non-fiction except minor parts. I was within 50 at the bottom, and a friend of mine was around 5 also at the bottom among at least 400 students of our middle school. So, we could not pass high school exam, and we couldn't join the high school one year. Particularly, we were really hopeless in English grammar among others. Aya . . . we wanted to do inovation of our bad images for the families and determined ourselves to study for the next year exam, particularly focusing on English grammar. I bought several thick books including one very advanced. I read those books day and night, but I couldn't finish all. Meanwhile, my friend bought just one thin basic book . . . o, my . . . that book? . . . I was scorning him. He didn't listen to me and repeatedly read it more than 20 times.

In the next year, my friend passed the exam with very good score of English grammar. Me . . . ? I'd better stop my story here . . .

Many more books? It can be wrong!
Yeah . . . I sure . . .

yes, thanks for the suggestion.
But it's not published yet, so as soon as it will come out i wll get it.
But, in the meantime, what can i read as a beginner?
is there any similar book of"the art of linear electronics"?

(right now i'm just starting the 4th chapter of douglas's book hope it will geet more detailed and explained).

hope to receive other good suggestions.

Regards,
Stefano.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think that the relevent chapters of "The Art of Electronics"
by Horowitz and Hill are the most authoritative, although
somewhat drier than Hood.

Self and Sloan are good if you are intending to build amps
their way. If not, then they are less helpful.

If you think of yourself as a rank amateur, I recommend the
Zen series and its predecessors, including the A40 and the
A75. You can find them at www.passdiy.com.

:cool:

self's book.
It's too advanced for me, because it talks of concept without a lot of explanation (not at all).
Furthermore, the authour is a fan in feedback and class b amp, and i don't (maybe i'm wrong!).

self's book is basic, and it is a good book, i have read many books
noone is perfect, for a beginner i recommend zen papers by pass

if i had to choose the best book self's is it, self's talks advanced
but his book is pretty basic all he talks about is kindergarden stuff
some even are funny but a good basics book indeed

john

Originally posted by Pass Nelson

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but John Linsley Hood's "The Art of
Linear Electronics" is coming back into print through
Old Colony Sound (AudioXpress) and is I think the best beginner's
book.

Pass the book you mention isnt a book on power amplifier
it covers a range of subjects

umm as a beginner i want something like zen series to start
with, and then use self's book to put zen under the microscope

john

Nelson Pass said:
I think that the relevent chapters of "The Art of Electronics"
by Horowitz and Hill are the most authoritative, although
somewhat drier than Hood.

Self and Sloan are good if you are intending to build amps
their way. If not, then they are less helpful.

If you think of yourself as a rank amateur, I recommend the
Zen series and its predecessors, including the A40 and the
A75. You can find them at www.passdiy.com.

:cool:

i consider my self a begineer rather than an amateur because that would suppose a certainly experience in amp design that i don't have at all.
I've always been a deep amateur of audio equipments and no more.
I'm an electronic engineer but i have been working on telecomunication's field since i got graduated 2years and a half ago.

Mr. Pass, When you where talking about Sloan, what book were you referring to?

douglas's book considers concept of stability and others whitout any explanation and therefore i don't get them.
Furthermore, as i said, he is a BIG fan of class b amp and high feedback design, and i don't agree with this way (but as i said i can be wrong in my opinin of how a good amp should be)

Doens't exist an author that covers the amp issues and highlights class A amps and low feedback 's design?

At the beginning of this 3d i described the books that i bought, but none of that have received any comment from non of you.
does anyone know this title?

Title: Valve and Transistor Audio Amplifiers
Author(s): John Hood

(As soon as i will get it ...hopefully today.... i will start to read it and i will quote my impression)

So that, i'm looking for a book/s that considers amp design but from an objective view point considering the math relationships in the design and that would also expain them.
I call it less adavanced, of course, because i need more explanation then an expert does.
i hope to receive others good suggestions from all of you guys.

Thank you for the attention payed.

Regards,
Stefano.

umm as a beginner i want something like zen series to start
with, and then use self's book to put zen under the microscope

I have read the book a couple of times. The zen looks and sounds pretty good without a microscope.

One question? How many DIY self amps do you see on this forum?

I think you might need a introduction to electronics book, which will cover opamps, stability en basic transistor circuits. I have used 'A Practical introduction to Electronics' which served me very well.

But the www.sound.au.com website from Rod Elliot and www.passdiy.com from Nelson Pass are excelent, I think both are absolutely mandatory...and they are free :cool:

Self's book is also mandatory in the long run.. you should be glad you bought it. I personally think Sloan's book can be skipped.. unless you really want to built his amplifiers...

I have bought all 3 books of Hood, and they are a great read, but not really diy-project books.. his article's are muc better suited for that.. look for the 'class A amplifier website' .. also mandatory .. it's a great site.. anybody got the URL?

Goodluck,
Thijs ;)

Stefanno

Hi, like yourself I am also an engineer. I have the books by Self, Hood and a number of others.

However if you are an engineer I think you will find "The art of Electronics" the best. As Nelson Pass says it is a dry read but I find that all the information is logically laid out without any obvious bias. I find it a good reference book that I would not like to be without.

Other than that I find the articles by Nelson Pass, and also the manuals for his designs on the various Pass web sites, very informative and clearly thought out. They are particularly helpful as they relate to actual projects. I am sure every one appreciates Nelson Pass's genersity in making all that information available.

I hope this helps and that you enjoy yourself

Don

Hi!

Thanks for your post.
Just a couple questions: wich version of "the art of electronics" do you have?

i'm going to buy it as soon as the hood's version will come out!!
Does anybody know approximativetly when the book will be avalaible on the library?

What else would you suggest me? you talked about other title, what titeles have you gotten that you can hilight to me?

thanks

Best Regads,
Stefano.

Hi

I have both versions of The art of electronics. I use the 2nd edition now.

I also use the handbook High Performance Power Amplifiers by Ben Duncan and recommend it. Ben Duncan does understand the theory but the book covers the practical side of power amps in use.
The Marshall Leach, Borbelly and Pass web sites are full of information and as much theory as you would want. The Pass site is the easiast read. Nelson Pass said is is for beginners. But I think it covers complex subjects. However Nelson Pass understands so well that he makes complex subjects a simple read. I wish that I understood electronics so well.

If you want project books I recomend Audio Amateur Power Amp Projects and Elektor Electronics High End Audio Equipment and the Class A Audio web site on BT that is mentioned above.

I hope this helps
Don

Books for beginner

Mr N.P suggested "John Linsley Hood's "The Art of Linear Electronics"

I'm looking for information / books / articles who alows me to understand how compontents work, especially transistors, nPn, pNp, Fet, JFet, MosFet, what are they differences, something which would allow a new comer to understand why designers use one type instead of the other. More in general a good text book which would allow me to 'read' (i.e. understand' some of the drawings, like those of Mr N.P on passdiy web site (zen, etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.