A first time build!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm shopping for the components to build my very first DIY projector. So, I'd love hear from the veterans in this forum.

Basically, I'd like to build a long-throw 720p projector with an HDMI input. I want the projector to be as compact as possible and of course I don't want to spend a lot of money for the components.

Primary Plan:
LCD: Coby 15-inch 720p TV
Light Source: 50W LED Floodlight (Cool White)

This seems like the easiest and the cheapest way to build a 720p projector but I'm afraid the 15" LCD panel might be too big. The final projector won't be so compact with this panel.

Beside these components, I will need a pair of fresnel lenses and a triplet lens, but I'm not sure which ones to get. Is there a calculator somewhere that I can use? Again, this is going to be a long-throw projector.

Another way is to buy a LCD panel + LCD controller board from aliexpress.com. They seem to have a wide variety of LCD panel & controller board that will suit my needs but the setup might get too complicated for a beginner like me.

So any suggestions, pros?

15' lcd is to big.that might be coz your box 1 meter excced
15x25.4=you need a f360 triplet lenses at least.,and larger size fresenl lenses=more money
You can choose 7-12' wide LCD.EXP:8.9 inch N089A1-L01
SETUP is easy if you want to do
Light source power you choosed is smaller. 100-200w are better.
LED=expensive,colour less, heat complex.

This is my first post but I plan on building a projector myself.
I came across this site a few days ago and it is what got me thinking of building a projector.

Adafruit.com

Specifically;
HDMI/VGA/NTSC/PAL Displays : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

They sell a 5.6" 720p LCD with Driver and HDMI, VGA and Composite inputs.
Not bad @ $140.

I plan on making a 480p projector to start and that kit is only $65.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.