A few questions on loudpseakers and DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fabric Dome tweeters are nice... but beryllium dome tweeters can be just amazing albeit pricy...I'd love to have a pair of Scanspeak 6640s to play with on someone else's dime.

Haven't heard Be yet.

You never did state your budget...

As one gets diminishing (audio) returns on investment, lets say $1500

You're confusing "commercial speakers that happen to use metal in their dome material" with "metal domes". Poor assumptions are made this way
Hrm? That's kind of silly.
Metal domes are very rigid and capable of low distortion... If the breakup is above the audible range then there's no reason to not use metal - when properly implemented. Implementation is key with any driver. Focal and German Maestro have some quality metal dome tweeters. Again, it's all about individual drivers and the optimal implementation for them. Generalization is a bad idea and leads to audiophilic tendancies of B.S. spewing.
You're confusing "commercial speakers that happen to use metal in their dome material" with "metal domes". Poor assumptions are made this way.

Possibly, I have no extensive experience but when I've heard a sound I liked they were textile dome HF, when not, metal HF. When I really disliked, metal HF + FET
There are always generalisations agreed, drive units differ between types as well as materials.
However, I don't want to endlessly swop out drive units and/or remake cabinets. I have to go with what I believe is better.

Thanks Bunkie,

Nice to have someone with your experience answer my queery:)

I have quite a few tools 'at home' (Cape Town) including a table saw and routher. Here in the desert I can make do with my workshop at the office and always make new ones when I eventually get home on a permanent basis.

Designing the cross-over is another matter entirely ...
Eteching a PCB and stuffing it is not a problem though.

Possibly, I have no extensive experience but when I've heard a sound I liked they were textile dome HF, when not, metal HF. When I really disliked, metal HF + FET
There are always generalisations agreed, drive units differ between types as well as materials.

However, I don't want to endlessly swop out drive units and/or remake cabinets. I have to go with what I believe is better.

Perhaps you'd be well-served to identify why your experiences were such, rather than assuming the amplifier topology and HF dome material are to blame... the last thing you want to do is make a soft dome speaker that sounds exactly as the sort you dislike (and trust me, it's possible). At the end of the day you want to make a speaker you'll be happy with. :smash:

Anyways, given

-your budget
-dislike of the paradigm implementation of metal dome tweeters (very poor IMO)
-the advantage of a free standing speaker
-Preference for clean, accurate bass

I think a neutral transmission line is probably in store for you. :D

Perhaps you'd be well-served to identify why your experiences were such, rather than assuming the amplifier topology and HF dome material are to blame... the last thing you want to do is make a soft dome speaker that sounds exactly as the sort you dislike (and trust me, it's possible). At the end of the day you want to make a speaker you'll be happy with. :smash:

Anyways, given

-your budget
-dislike of the paradigm implementation of metal dome tweeters (very poor IMO)
-the advantage of a free standing speaker
-Preference for clean, accurate bass

I think a neutral transmission line is probably in store for you. :D

Well I always wanted to build the Hi-Fi News transmission lines that used T27/B110/B139 drivers but couldn't find a house big enough to accomodate them :D
Perhaps later ..
A good start might be a 2 way bookshelf. Something akin to the BBC LS3A monitors?
However these may be passe' by today's standards.

Hi,

FWIW I'd consider tweaking the Studio 40's before setting off on a DIY route.

My commercial speakers have added internal wall damping, detuned ports
(by lining them with a thin layer of foam, oblong port length x 3 diameters),
and a small value added L-pad on the tweeter to lower its level a touch.
(And it is a metal dome, much better than most commercial fabric domes.)

IMO it would be likely very difficult to better the 40's for their used price.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

rgds, sreten.

Good point, but if this is the speaker i'm thinking of(granted, there's like six versions), there's a lot of stored energy in the HF passband that I doubt you could do much about. The tweeter is problematic, already starting to break up around 7khz or so.

Hi, any links to info about the tweeter ? I'm intrigued, 7kHz breakup !?, rgds, sreten.

FWIW AFAIK the first breakup mode of dome tweeters is not problematic allegedly,
it often "sold" as stating the tweeter becomes smaller with increasing frequency,
its the second mode that causes the typical metal dome tweeter response peak.

Last edited:
Just a few things... I have speakers with ScanSpeak fabric domes and others with Eton magnesium+ceramic domes. Neither is harsh although there is a quality I cannot identify that makes the Eton's sound sweeter to me. No breakup with either in the audible range.
Secondly, not mentioned here, is that one does not have to be a carpenter in order to build speakers. There are many enclosures available pre-built. There are those into building speakers for whom the whole point is constructing a beautiful cabinet, but I'm not one of them. I don't have to mess with passive crossovers either as all my DIY speakers use miniDSPs, but that does require a large investment in amplifiers. Not a plug, just what I do. I think my $1000/pair DIY speakers would be a match for anything at several times the price. I do wish I had a friend who is a carpenter though.

Well, here are my few cents on DIY making stuff.
I do many things as DIY projects.
Good exmaple is LED light in my home.
Or, my custom welded exhaust and intake pipes.
And my doors, windows, most of my furniture, many clots i wear, upgrades to my tractor, whatever.

There is a philosophy behind it at the very first place.
You will not find a company that will ever research things for Your own, personal liking, manufacture it, and ship it just for You, and only You.
DIY means, You have a DEMAND for something, and You are going to make it.
It will suit You. Maybe will not suit others, but will suit You.
And as longas it does, its something no market will ever be able to challange it.

On the otherhand, DIY means learning "stuff".
After all, from the minute we are born in this world, we do learn and learn new things.

It is a nice and benefical way to sepnd time, making things for Your verry own self.
On the price question...
Actualy just take a look at a chepooo gainclone amp.
DIY make one, and see what price would a factory made product would cost with the same specifications.
I started to DIY make things for this reason.

DIY can set You free. You can build what fits Your wallet, Your taste, Your demand.
You are not restricted to choose from a few premade "stuff".

And on the otherhand, You will get exactly what Your persoal efforth is worth.
If you do not like what You managed to make, You can modify it, re-design it, learn from Your mistakes. Try new things, maybe even invent somethng new (who knows, it CAN happen)

I personaly think, that non-DIY people, those who are against it for any reason are just not willing to sacrifice the efforth, they will accept what ever a corporation throws at them. And that is certainly not the healthy way to be.

DIY in my eyes is a way to awoid to become the worse of man kind:
the standardised , serialised, purely homogen drone.

Hi, any links to info about the tweeter ? I'm intrigued, 7kHz breakup !?, rgds, sreten.

FWIW AFAIK the first breakup mode of dome tweeters is not problematic allegedly,
it often "sold" as stating the tweeter becomes smaller with increasing frequency,
its the second mode that causes the typical metal dome tweeter response peak.

Sorry, don't remember where I saw the graph, it was a good while ago, and the issue may even have been rectified in later models of the Studios.

Hi,

rgds, sreten.

Thanks for your comments.

The Studio 40's are V3 - with the 'S-Pal' dome. I think they used the newer G-Pal dome from V4 then dropped them from the range.
I have no problem with them for HT, just not that good on music.
The other thing is that the 40's are 'neither here nor there' IRT there not quite 'Bookshelf' neither are they floor standers - probably why they were dropped.
I have CC 590 centre and 2 by Studio 590 surrounds but no rears. So I'll probably keep the S40's for rears and use the new DIY ones as fronts (maybe not the first itteration though).

Thanks everybody for the comments posted. I'll probably opt for bookshelf/stand mounted as a first effort as RockLeeEV has suggested (thanks for the link!).
Next stop will probably be floor standers with built in electronic cross-over and amps - guess this must be the ultimate L/S.

FIrstly though I'll have to brush up on stuff I read years back on both speaker design and amps.

I actually enjoy DIY and especially woodwork - something about the smell whilst sawing/sanding - solid wood anyway.
Also I know which end of a solder iron to hold ( :) ) so building amps is not a great problem.
Mainly DIY is quite a 'restful' hobby and one gets to see the fruits of one's labour for (hopefully!) years after.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.