A DIY sub for 7.3's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question for Mark, or anyone else who cares to chime in for that matter. In looking at woofers and subwoofers to mate with the Alpairs is the low mass figure simply a matter of looking at the Mms, or are there other factors to consider for the low mass aspect of a given driver. I note for example that the Goldwood has a Mms of 121 grams, and the AE Dipole 18" has an Mms of 115 grams; whereas the Dayton DCS450-4 has 263 grams and the Dayton RSS450 is up at 426 grams. I would imagine along with other considerations there is some Sd to Mms ratio that one might factor in as a guideline.

Hi Oct,
Your correct, there's allot more to assessing drivers to integrate into multi-way - FAST systems. Apologies for reasons mentioned, time isn't running in my favour so in depth answers isn't possible; But a good start in look at the MMS of LF drivers in relation to their cone acreage. From the emittance perspective, there's a much better chance of emittance pattern matching when using a family of low mass drivers together.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
Continuing the philosophy session, the conventional wisdom is to cross at the dipole hump, floor bounce, or baffle step, but I cross a lot lower. Since most of the humps and holes in the response below 500Hz are room related, I use DSP to smooth things out. My A12P MLTL's go down to 40Hz, so I have at least an octave below XO, and the 1858's are good to 500Hz or so, so I have a lot of room in that direction. Phase aberrations are not audible that low, so my LR4 XO works very well.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.