A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind

Big problems in small cases... I'm struggling to fit things inside this small brat. (rainjitter metis case)

Attachments

• IMG_20180301_124745.jpg
    IMG_20180301_124745.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_20180301_124707.jpg
    IMG_20180301_124707.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_20180301_124655.jpg
    IMG_20180301_124655.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_20180301_124643.jpg
    IMG_20180301_124643.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_20180301_124623.jpg
    IMG_20180301_124623.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 516
Between the foil (wich achieved the lowest dist from my point of view) and paper, i will choose paper at any hour to keep this speaker's distinct mid sound signature, airy hights, and disperion.. and Olegs and Wrines cottone paper is very appealing to me. Will be interesting to see silk or washy..
I liked rubas foil membrane only when i heard it playing as a tweeter. It is a nice improvement instead of a small ribbon with the impedance adapter trafo..

i used washi paper but it is to floppy :)

Polyethylene - U.H.M.W. Sheet - online catalog source - supplier of research materials in small quantities - Goodfellow

I would be looking at this material if I were you guys. It is basically what some mailing envelopes are made of. I think some vapor barrier sheet for houses is also made from this.

Very good damping YET very good stiffness. I wouldn't be surprised to see cones made of this eventually

:) but it is rather heavy in form that you can actually bend instead of fold. i have some HDPE stuff here of course HD PE is slightly mode High density but still even PE is rather heavy :)

i wonder why no one is going nomex any more ? since it is rahter rigid and moist restive. search Nomex 410 available in various thicknesses,

:) but it is rather heavy in form that you can actually bend instead of fold. i have some HDPE stuff here of course HD PE is slightly mode High density but still even PE is rather heavy :)

i wonder why no one is going nomex any more ? since it is rahter rigid and moist restive. search Nomex 410 available in various thicknesses,

We must be talking about something different. The material I speak of I have actually used. Even as a ribbon backing material in its thinnest forms but it will melt easily.

It has very long small fibers (you can see the fibers in the sheet) that are very high tensile strength and the fibrous construction results in a well damped material and it is quite low mass.

I was talking to the designer of the "GOLD ribbon" a few years back on this and he was in agreement that the material would make some very nice cones if someone was willing to develop it further.

Straight nomex does have a good loss factor I think similar to polypropylene and has been used in honeycomb form in a lot of skin/core constructions. Not positive but I think EATON may use nomex core in some of their older woofers.
However the fibrous constructions of tinselized fibers as in the material I am talking about will likely have as good or better damping while being less lossy than just raw nomex. better balance of damping and stiffness.

By the way I dont recommend going to Goodfelloows for the material. Far too expensive! Last time I used it I think I got a large mailing envelope made of it. It was quite thin. On one experament I actually laminated two layers to get a thicker material. I was making similar constructions to what you guys are doing here. Sorry dont have any data on the outcome. Didnt play there for long as I shifted gears off to concentrating on ribbons.

Last edited:
I know pe can be rather noiseless sort of speak but ribbon and amts and such we talk microns. In the ruba it is sort of a havind some bending strength and some damping. Hard combination to come by. The nomex I talk about is not the honeycomb stuff but the paper used for insulation if transformers . It is paper like. Btw the waterproof papers are made I think of spinned pe. Another downside of pe is that I almost can't be glued. You can use acrylic adhesive and such but epoxy and alike won't bond. You can weld it trough:) and is indeed rather bad with heat it has a really low melting temp :( if you want thin pe get cheap foil for microwave it is made of pe downside is it is stretchy when it is so thin

Last edited:
15 cm would be more then enough i think you can even make it much much smaller like only using 4 magnets of 40x20xsomething. getting good response above 1Khz was never a problem for me (except maybe the last few khz)

another thing is you might even make them even less long so you vertical response is a bit beter. working is small scale let you use stronger magnets without losing you finger that easy :)

Cassini I think with coil we need to make compromises as always:
- Lower mass is better
- Impedance (resistance) of coil should match with amplifier, with copper foil it could be an issue (usually 6-8 ohm is preferable)
- Higher number of turn has higher sensitivity
- Bigger cross section better for load-ability , to thin can burn

I just made a quick measurement outside when the water was ok, but since I had limited time (15min) I not post yet.
My ruba has no baffle so it has decreasing output under 4-500 Hz which need to be equalized. ( I was missing the lower mids)
When finally the spring time arrive (no wind, temperature increase above 15°C) I will continue the measurements and will share with you.

I found again interesting article on SL site, most of the things here valid for rubanoid.
That could be a good explanation why dipole transducers, has different, more life like sound than box speakers.

It is interesting to make differentiation of the usage of "studio monitor" speakers, ( flat on-axis response good in near an-echoic room for mixing purpose) and dipole speakers where the transducer "illuminate the room naturally" which is more life-like and spatial.

This more or less mathcing with my experience when I heard Quad ESL 57 1st time (20 years ago, expensive LP+transformerless tube amp system).

I was wondering what the other speaker developer did mean time if there was a transducer exists before the man stepped on the moon, which can reproduce so life-like sound stage.

Of course it has also problems, limitations. (again those stupid compromises)
But for my ears (for my brain) it transfers the music on different, higher level than all other speakers, system which was presented on that show.
(B&W nautilus was there, as one of the most modern speaker that time sounds good, but not that life-like for me)

I'm playing with rubanoid, with hopes to be able to get similar level of "transfer".
Seems there is a chance for it and I don't need to sell my house to be able to reach that goal. :)
My house price wont be enough for a good factory made rubanoid, what you discussed here earlier. :(

hello WrineX, now the question arises for me the right voice coil !!
my idea would be to laser cut the voice coil out of a self-adhesive aluminum foil. or would copper foil be better. aluminum would be lighter ???

well i dont know how you would like to laser cut foil but a normal C02 laser wont cut it :(. but i would recommend alu if you can, it is 40% lighter, so why not :)

you can use alu wire, or a foil and then etch the traces, and some here even cut alu tape. but that last one gives you limited amount of turns, witch could hurt in efficiency and to low impedance. so if you can avoid that i would go for that. not so sure how big it must be but i use my solid ink printer to print etch resist straight on alu foil laminate or copper laminate and etch it. and your coil is done. but it has a limited size of an A4 paper :( but since you want to make a tweeter that should not be a problem, getting a high enough resistance will be the hard part since the driver is so small the amount of coill you can fit in it is also small. if your able to wind a flat coil alu wire would work great to, i got as thin as 0.13 alu wire, you can easily reach 4-6 ohm with that stuff

you can calculate the length you would need of these alu wires on Round Wire Resistance Calculator

wires you can find at wires.co.uk

Last edited:
WrineX........Panels looking good.. look like the maggy 1.7...if you wont to make them the 1.7i...just put tape on the back medal side ...like one strip of duck tape right were the bass an tweeter meat...thay get $400 more for this the tape..an other magic thay do...your panels will play louder...an sound better with wire...so say I...also did you see were the 1.7 has one more run ...one up one down outside the tweeer wire...it called a super tweeter...like a 3 way panel...you may get that last top end your looking for...all thought playing the sound of your youtube... your panels on my speakers that play up to 20k or more....sweet sound missing nothing......great sound.....keep up the good job