• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

a directly heated monkey?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks alot, Sheldon. I really (I mean really really) appreciate your feedback (that goes to all of you).

I think I have all the parts to test the relay setup on the lab at school (including relays), so I can fine tune the circuit before ordering parts. But before I can spend time on the lab, I have 6 exams starting from Monday the 8. of May, and by the time I'm done with that, summer is here. I think chances are I will not make the rewiring to direct coupling before next semester starts in mid August, but by then I should at least have finances for quality PSU iron (lower DCR potted chokes)...

Thanks again so much for all the help, ideas, and suggestions thrown in here. I promise I'll get you updates on the progress, so stay tuned ;)

Rocky said:
Thanks alot, Sheldon. I really (I mean really really) appreciate your feedback (that goes to all of you).

I think I have all the parts to test the relay setup on the lab at school (including relays), so I can fine tune the circuit before ordering parts. But before I can spend time on the lab, I have 6 exams starting from Monday the 8. of May, and by the time I'm done with that, summer is here. I think chances are I will not make the rewiring to direct coupling before next semester starts in mid August, but by then I should at least have finances for quality PSU iron (lower DCR potted chokes)...

Thanks again so much for all the help, ideas, and suggestions thrown in here. I promise I'll get you updates on the progress, so stay tuned ;)

You're welcome. Just remember I'm a neophyte here too. The test is definitely in order. But maybe you can also entice one of the experienced folk here to comment on the protection circuit. Might be worth posting separately.

Sheldon

Stacking supplies works fine. It was a stacked-supply amp design that gave me the inspiration for the Free Lunch, the stacked amp came first.

Here's a cheapie with IDHT's that uses a voltage doubler as the "stack":

attachment.php

This exact amp has been in daily use for several years at arestaurant, so at least the IDHT 13FM7's can deal with startup shock from some silicon rectifiers OK!

re: a very old post, those 6K/30W or whatevers are just exactly the ticket for what you are doing. Good score.

-j

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.