A-D convertor for ripping vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lot's of info for DACs everywhere. I know sound cards have good to excellent A-D convertors but I use a laptop. I would like to know what's good, the availability and or kits for external A-D convertors for ripping vinyl and other analog sources. I'm sure there are some "Pro" products, don't know much about them. I have a cheezy $50 unit, works OK, sounds like crap. Does anyone know of a product for us consumers at the same level of performance like current DACs? :hohoho:

If you are on more of a beer budget, and are just looking to rip some vinyl, I have been using a Roland Edirol UA-1EX, which is a simple 2-channel USB ADC/DAC and does 24-bit 44.1/48 (and maybe 96k). I think I got mine new around maybe $80.

The UA-1EX is no longer produced and was replaced by the UA-1G, which seems to be a very similar unit in terms of features. I don't know about it's sound.

Also the "Edirol" line has been renamed "Cakewalk by Roland" (no, I am not making this up). So the Cakewalk FA-66 is the new name for Dave's unit.

Good luck.

-bill

Music Hall MMF 9.1 Turntable --> Brocksieper Phonomax --> E-MU 0404 external USB 2.0 Audiointerface --> Laptop --> Wavelab 6.1 (24/192) --> manual click removal --> analyze (no clipping, no DC Bias offset) --> split into individual Tracks --> resampling and dither to 16-bit/44.1kHz with iZotope RX Advanced --> FLAC encoded (Vers. 1.21)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.