A cross between A5 and A3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In fact is the stored energy
in A5 60 Joules (35² x 0,1F)/2
in A3 55 Joules (25² x 0,176F)/2
in A30 37,5 Joules (25² x 0,12F)/2

Maybe the capacity of A30 is enough cause this amp is not as potent as A3 concerning current capacity.

The A5 and A30 are maybe designed rather for 8 Ohms load than for 4 Ohms.

Uli

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I think there are some interesting project infront of me :D

first this A3/A5 crosser and after that, when I'll save enough $$ to complete the "ultimate Aleph project" I have in mind an Integrated Aleph combining A5+ and AP 1.7
In somewhere in between time to finnaly finalize MiniA/BoZ combination ...

Hi Uli,

is the stored energy of a power supply really important? To use it you must reduce the voltage to zero wich is a bit difficult when listening to music.
I think it is more important how much energy you can take out of the power supply for a given voltage drop wich would mean that capacitor size is the important faktor and not the voltage.

William

Chassis models

Hi!

Today I obviously had too much time left so I've build few chassis 3D models ...

The thing is - I have 4pcs of Fischer's SK 56 heatsink - each 145mm high ...

So my first "idea" (more like my interpretation of original mr. Nelson idea) quite some time ago was this:

Attachments

• 05 pwr mini.jpg
    05 pwr mini.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 258
But unfortunatelly I can not squeeze everything inside such chassis - I mean my toridal transfomer is pretty big, and 4pcs of 68000uF/50V Sprague capacitors also needs space - so to somehow squeeze everything in - there would have to be a lot of pretty long wires passing very close to transformer, etc etc .. And I don't like that to much ... - I have some bad experiences with Zen and internal wiring layout ...

So I've thought it out to have some kind of two floor amp - with PSU in gorund floor and circuit in upper (Btw - mr. Nelson - I still think original Aleph's are one of best looking amps ever)

Attachments

• 04 pwr.jpg
    04 pwr.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 216
And I must say that would look pretty awsome for my taste! So some time ago I was almost sure to make this kind of a chassis ...
But ... Then I've figure it out - if in first case there was almost no space - in this version there would be a lot of unused space - so why not add also preamp in same chassis ...

BUT - than again - how to deal with buttons etc enough aestetically not to spoil clear lines too much ... Hmmm ...

So I've decided to give another try - this time more classical - but because two 300mm heatsinks would be use per each side - that would mean more than 600mm in depth :eek: overall ... Hmm - and only 150mm height :bawling: That would look a bit strange ...

So I've decided to make a kind of golden ratio proportions - so the depth around 600mm, width 370mm and height 220mm ...

And that's what it came out:

Attachments

• 03 inegrirc sp.jpg
    03 inegrirc sp.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 207
And a photo with both versions that are still "in play" before I make finnal decision - it just depends whether will I do Integrated Aleph (probably mix of A5' and AP 1.7 (maybe BZLS)) or power amp A5+ (the plus stands for a little bit higher biased version) ...

OH, BTW - both models are in ~1:1 scale ...

Attachments

• 01 par.jpg
    01 par.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 198
Yes of course - in all cases I would taken care somehow for free air flow ...
Will see what will come out at the end ...

But I must say - after throwing some measurments and to the paper and calculated a bit how much $$ will I spend on Aluminium etc - I got pretty high number ... But than again - it's "the ultimate project" and I intedn to live happily for quite some years with him :D

Hmm - tonight I've decided to try figure out with "real" parts ...
First thing was - I've decided to try it out with not so mirrored interior layout as I wanted it till now - and the result is I might squeeze everything into basic a little original A3 look-a-like chassis - so on this picture you can stereo PCB (but I will have to cut it to halfes) and PSU parts ... And a kind of internal layout that would work it out I think:

Attachments

• a5 proto1min.jpg
    a5 proto1min.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 180
And view from up - the idea is:
PCB cut to half - so each channel is mounted on one heatsink - in the photo that would be "North" & "West" ones - but transistors would be mounted 3 per heatsink - so I would spread them equally - so there will be some wiring job ...
I have some thought about trannie - probably it would be a good idea to shield it with some "magnetic material" ...

Attachments

• a5 proto4min.jpg
    a5 proto4min.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 161
Ofcourse the rear heatsink will have to sacrifice few fins to get place for connectors ...
But for 230V, fuse connector and for power switch I had in mind to place them to bottom - as near as possible to trannie ...

btw - my first plan was to make it with centralized trannie ... But I guess it's better to have capacitors closer than in this case:

Attachments

• a5 proto13min.jpg
    a5 proto13min.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 166
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.