A cheap ribbon you guys may be interested in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have received mine, had them :hot:in'-in for days, tried them.

They work very well indeed with a 2nd order crossover at 6,5~7Khz, and they match very well this way (at 6.7Khz in my case) with a mid driver I am testing it with (for a 3-way speaker).
Notice that the output rolls of fast below 5Khz.
They also work very well as a super tweeter, 1st order, with a fullrange driver (or a smaller mid that goes up to around 10K).
They sound smooth, fast, very detailed and very 'undistorted' if compared to some dome tweeters, even with a 2uf cap, 1st order.
The sound smooths after a few days, don't evaluate them (as everything) on the first listen.

One thing that is an issue (well... not at this price), is the way to mount this tweeter on a speaker.
I was going to take a pic, but I see a good one already on this thread, here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=686699#post686699

:xeye:
Notice that this tweeter needs some form of extra (larger) front plate, otherwise it will have to be mounted from the inside of the speaker.

georgehifi said:
Carlos, a mate of mine wants to know what the values of C and L were for the 6.5k cross over. as he bought 30 of them and is going to series/ parallel 4 of them per channel to keep the impeadance the same.

Cheers George

I use a 6.7Khz crossover point.
I paralleled a 39R resistor directly across the tweeter to attenuate the output and match my application.
These tweeters are a little more than 8 ohms.
My DMM measures 8.5 ohms (which doesn't mean it is, but they spec 8ohms +/-15% and they seem to be always higher), I took this value with the paralleled 39R = 6.9 ohms.
No series resistor (no L-pad), just a parallel resistor.

Then I calculated a Linkwitz-Riley crossover, because it matched the exact value of the inductors I had around here. :D

That gives 1.72uF (1.5uF//220nF) + 0.33mH
Perfect, sounding good.

Attachments

• crossover.png
    crossover.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 930
You people got me all worked up now, cause I'm looking to buy these tweeters to finish off my surround speaker system with something.

They do crossover at a fairly high 6.4kHz, so I'm interested to hear your opinions on this. Does it work well, when paired with a small mid-bass that will go that high? Anyone tried this yet?

On that note, Jaycar has small Vifa mid-bass on special at the moment, so these two might be a match made in Heaven?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Wow. So, the 7kHz crossover is fine in your book?

Next question - how about sealed box? My calculation shows about 10 or so liters sealed for a Qtc of 0.7, and it wouldn't take much more for a 0.6, just to extend the bass a bit more. Opinions?

Next next question - 1st order series crossover. How about that for this ribbon?

Hmm, very large subject to cover in a forum post. I'd suggest you do some net searching, to understand what filter order means and what to use where. In short, first order filter is preferred for many reasons - sound quality (less coloration, phase and transient response), part count ($$$), but for ribbons, second order (at least) is mandatory. This is because they are a bit fragile, and this kind of filter cuts off low frequencies "faster" than the first order. It also reverses the phase at the crossover frequency, lowers damping factor, doubles the part count (and $$$), etc.

It's impossible to answer your question without knowing the exact speakers you will use and their impedance plots, exact crossover frequency, etc. And it will be capacitor and inductor values, not resistor.

Thanks guys for pointing to the right direction. At least I know what to look for.
But I wonder how these "plug atop existing loudspeaker Super tweeters" that are sold off the shelf, like Tannoy and Townshed ones manage to work correctly, at least that's what they say, with the infinite number of speakers out there.
Agreed some of them have adjustment for their crossover values, but only for limited number of values.

These tweeters sound very promising.

Do you think they would handle a 1st order crossover at about 15k or 16k Hz?

I have a mostly full-range driver that cuts off at about 16k Hz. I'd like to run this full range and just add a 1uF cap to the tweeter and maybe a trimming resistor to it to fill in the upper registers. What do you think? 1st order for a crossing point this high?

I'll probably pick up a couple of these tweeters. Thanks for the tip!

Best,
KT

Well I just had some spare time so I hooked my pair up to my Martin Logan Monolith III's as a super super tweeter.
Crossed them over at 20k using a 2nd order Chebychev which worked out to be 1uf in series and a .06mh in paralell with the tweeter, wow just what the esl's needed, a touch more extension on the top end, it just gave them a little more air.
I was told today that Jaycar got 40,000 of them and they have 1,400 left, someone's been buying up big time, I've notice a few money grabbers trying to re-sell them on the market with outragous mark up on them.
Well worth the money I spent, hope you guys got yours.

Cheers George

Hi

Went in the Jaycar store locally
to see the drivers IRL (in real life).
They are quite nicely made.
I am wondering if I could get away
with an array of 5 drivers with a
24db/octave crossover at 4-5 K. Sort of
opposite of what most people want to
do with then.

Regards

AnthonyPT

I just received the tweeters and was wondering...
What is the best way to position the tweeters for the widest dispersion, horizontal or vertical?
There is also protective a cloth in front, should I remove it?
Having in mind that I will be using it as super tweeter. 1uf poly cap in series should be enough I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.