• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

A Blast From the Past

Hi Hugh and all in the Aksa community.

As the title says.....its been awhile.

A lot has happened since I was last here. Covid! Hugh's sickness, and 4 years a ago after being together for 34 years, my wife died. And at that time most of my audio gear gave up the ghost as well.

So to 2022 and the pursuit of "Audio Perfection"

What I am currently listening to:

Sony BluRay player - hardly ever used
Apple Imac
Roon - all CD's ripped in FLAC
Tidal Master (MQA)
Stack Audio "Link"
SMSL M400 DAC
miniDSP DDRC24 with Dirac Live v1
Yamaha Pro Audio powered set up - ok but..... going

AKSA gear:

GK1 - dead with Phone stage, Siemens gold pin 7803, still good
Paris Step up, new, never used
First addition 55w still working but time for an upgrade
GK1 Board - unpopulated
55N kit, new, never installed

Old gear laying around:

Musical Fidelity "Synthesis" 80's 70w still working
FX Audio 802C Class D New 6yo, baught for a project that never happened.
Lenco Turntable parts to build a PTP Lenco "One Day", no arm, Denon DL103R

Next step:

Duevel Venus Speakers arriving in about 3 weeks. 4ohm 88dB. I think they dip to 3.7 ohm in the lower frequencies.
I will use all 3 amps to see how they sound with and without the DDRC24 but I need a new AKSA
But, Maya 200 or the new 125?
As these are here I will try the pair of Yamaha DXS12mkii (Band Pass enclosures) below 50hZ to see how they integrate, it may work but not expecting much.

So, please thoughts and suggestions.

And my New Year Resolutions: let's hope Covid ends soon. No war between Russia and ? everyone! , and no war between Egypt and Ethiopia over the damming of the Blue Nile, look this one up, it's not looking good! The Nile could end up like the Aral Sea.

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, your wife was lovely, very warm, optimistic person, I cannot imagine how you must feel.
Are you still in Cairns?
What has happened with your 'young' children? Where are they are now and what are they doing?

We are looking at Eastern Europe confrontation, China bellicose with everyone, and badly damaged economies all over the world with Covid. Things aren't too flash, to be honest......

I have continued with R&D and in the last years created the NAKSA, the Maya, the SAKSA, then recently the TITAN. By evolution they slowly improve each time, and the Titan is my middle product, between SAKSA and Maya, and does 125W//8R. It uses a Toshiba bipolar output stages, like the AKSA, but a far superior amp to the old AKSA. Here is the picture below.

I can help you with documentation to get your existing stuff back to operation, let me know in my email. It would be a pleasure!

Do you ever come down to Melbourne? I don't travel much these days; ticker doesn't like high altitude.

Ciao,

Hugh

TitanPAmp5.jpg

Next step:

Duevel Venus Speakers arriving in about 3 weeks. 4ohm 88dB. I think they dip to 3.7 ohm in the lower frequencies.
I will use all 3 amps to see how they sound with and without the DDRC24 but I need a new AKSA
But, Maya 200 or the new Titan 125?

As the Venuss are rated at 4 ohm ... you need to find out from Hugh which of those 2 amps is more comfortable driving a 4 ohm load (whose impedance may well dip to below this - I couldn't find any detailed specs on them).

Andy

Hi Mark,
I would suggest a lower voltage on the Maya, say 52V rather than the usual 65V rails. This will give you around 260W into 4R, though only 150W into 8R.

This will limit the heat dissipation whilst offering heaps of power into a 4R load which is important in the sub-tropical heat of Cairns.
I can set up the modules for this low voltage and even supply lower voltage amps. They are a little dearer but I can absorb the cost and modification, it is important you have the best possible Maya you can have!

I have just checked my inventory; I have all the parts needed, but waiting on the 2 x 35Vac 300VA toroids. They are ordered and should be here beginning next week. I have begun the module changes.

Cheers,
Hugh

Thanks Andy, I've been talking to Hugh and have ordered a Maya.

I did find a review: https://www.hifinews.com/content/duevel-venus-loudspeaker-lab-report

an extract of the testing:

Duevel claims 88dB sensitivity but our measured pink noise figure was way below that at 81.3dB SPL for 2.83V input at 1m. And even this has taken moderately low impedance to achieve. Our measured minimum modulus of 3.7ohm accords well with Duevel's nominal 4ohm but high impedance phase angles mean that the EPDR (equivalent peak dissipation resistance) dips to lows of 1.7ohm/601Hz and 1.9ohm/87Hz. Coupled with the low sensitivity, this makes the Venus quite a challenging amplifier load.

It will be interesting!!!!!!

Thanks Andy, I've been talking to Hugh and have ordered a Maya.

I did find a review: https://www.hifinews.com/content/duevel-venus-loudspeaker-lab-report

an extract of the testing:

Duevel claims 88dB sensitivity but our measured pink noise figure was way below that at 81.3dB SPL for 2.83V input at 1m. And even this has taken moderately low impedance to achieve. Our measured minimum modulus of 3.7ohm accords well with Duevel's nominal 4ohm but high impedance phase angles mean that the EPDR (equivalent peak dissipation resistance) dips to lows of 1.7ohm/601Hz and 1.9ohm/87Hz. Coupled with the low sensitivity, this makes the Venus quite a challenging amplifier load.

It will be interesting!!!!!!

Aah, interesting, Mark. Absolutely, a lowered-rail Maya is the ideal match! The combo should sound wonderful! :)

Andy