A-B Testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ran a 400Hz signal through the amps with True RTA & measured the output with the multmeter (as recommended by the designer) and set the levels within 1%, when switching there was no perceptible volume difference.
That sounds like a good way, as long as you're using the same speakers in the test.

Sounds like you know the issues, so I'll let you alone on the relay stuff. But I will let you know what I come up with when I do my own. It's hard to advise someone when you don't really know where they're coming from without risking offending.

So you're doing 3-way active with MiniDSP on an OB. Very nice. I'm building a 2 way OB system with MiniDSP. I didn't consider getting the 4-way plugin but I'm wondering if that plugin might be more versatile than the 2-way, for future expansion. Do you know if there is anything missing in the 4-way plugin over two-way (advanced with PEQ)? I didn't see anything except a "copy EQ" feature. Do you know what that is?
I'm thinking I may want to add a tweet later on the OB but was just going to use a cap at a hi point if I did.

That MiniDSP looks like just the ticket for designs like this, doesn't it?

What are your drivers?

It turns out I have been reminded that my ears are not all they where, too many years as a builder, I like to forget I have some high frequency hearing loss. I was reminded of this because the ex came over with the son & I put both of them through the test without them knowing my thoughts or each other's. The ex went first & thought one of the amp sounded a bit brighter but is was a very close thing. The son went next, he is 18 & doing a Music degree at the local Conservationism/Uni, he agreed with the wife , , although he didn't know her thoughts until after he declared his own, he also said the lower frequencies were more open (whatever that means) on the brighter amp, Alex (the son) said if he was buying one of the amps it would be the brighter one & it was, the Class A-B Integra Receiver. I still couldn't tell the difference
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

when I did my listening test I was so sure there was something wrong I rechecked the wiring, then I turned one of the amps off & switched, then turned the other amp off & switch & sure enough it was working.

Because I still believe there was a bigger difference when I was using the six channel active setup, I'm planning on building a six way switch for the input signal directly after the MiniDSP, it will be linked to the output switch so they switch at the same time.

I have another project to finish first though, the MiniDSP needs to go in a box.

The speakers in the active are Neo 10, Neo 3 & Acoustic Elegance Dipole15, prototype below, I'm going to replace the Neo 10 in one of the speakers with the SABA 8", run them on mono & switch between to see how they compare as the SABA is great with voices.

I'm not really sure about the Plugin, sorry.

Attachments

• 22122010(001).jpg
    22122010(001).jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 94
Is that an H-frame for the 15"? It looks deeper than the one I'm planning. (MJK style) What are the dimensions? Would you do the H frame again for woofs?

Thanks for sharing your testing exerience. I've been wondering about how I will react to similar testing (although ab'ing speakers will be much more apparent I'm sure). My ears are about in the same shape as yours it sounds like. It's interesting that the amp differences are so subtle.

Is that an H-frame for the 15"? It looks deeper than the one I'm planning. (MJK style) What are the dimensions? Would you do the H frame again for woofs?

Yes it is a H frame, the overall length of the box is 16" so the front section you can see is about 8" deep. The P17 speakers I built first have a U frame which seems to work ok & I cannot find any problems with the H frame, so yes I would use it again.

I've, blind tested the 17 year old daughter & she likes the Coldamp better, I also tested the 57 year old brother & like me he couldn't tell the difference.

It's finished

That looks great.

I was wondering if I could have a few more details on the construction!
What 12v power supply did you use?
Did you just use an spst switch on the controlling circuit?

I am have never messed with this stuff before, and I can't decide if I want to use relays or just a simple 4pdt switch. (only switching when it is off)

Thanks

That looks great.

I was wondering if I could have a few more details on the construction!
What 12v power supply did you use?
Did you just use an spst switch on the controlling circuit?

I am have never messed with this stuff before, and I can't decide if I want to use relays or just a simple 4pdt switch. (only switching when it is off)

Thanks

Hi

I followed the information on this site A-B Box For Amplifier Comparisons. From memory I just used a 12v SMPS I had laying around.

Attachments

• A-B Swtich0001.JPG
    A-B Swtich0001.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 46
I found that building and using an A-B switch box was very interesting and useful.

If you have the relays switching both the ground and the signal wires gets around any problems with ground loops / bridged amplifier outputs or other issues. I just used parts I had so it wasn't optimised.

The test results were interesting. there were little to no differences between sensibly designed amplifiers. Also little differences between CD players apart from one British Cottage Industry one that had a curtailed bass response.

As post #11 says it's essential to match levels very carefully to within a fraction of a dB.

It's also possible to compare loudspeakers when the differences are massive. Also it's very difficult to match levels because of the uneven frequency responses both of the units and because of room placement.

Attachments

• AB box.pdf
    28.9 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.