A 2-way tower with Vifa woofer and Fostex FE103E...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If its an ambient tweeter, that'll do nicely.

Give it a try. You're unlikely to cook the tweeters unless you've wired it wrong and turned it up loud.

Chris

Hi Chris.

Yeah, it's to be used as an ambient tweeter and to add just a tad bit more "zest" on the top end where the FE103E's sometimes falls short. I'll be wiring them directly to the binding posts on the rear of the towers, along with the two 3uF caps in series on the (+) side.

For now, I'll just lay them on top of the towers facing straight up towards the ceiling just to see how they work. Maybe prop them up at different angles to see what's best and if I like the results. After that's all done, I'll go ahead and make little angled wood enclosures for them and probably use a couple of computer fan grills to put over them to protect the domes.

You have to try it to get an idea of what will work.

dave

For now, I'll just lay them on top of the towers facing straight up towards the ceiling just to see how they work. Maybe prop them up at different angles to see what's best and if I like the results. After that's all done, I'll go ahead and make little angled wood enclosures for them and probably use a couple of computer fan grills to put over them to protect the domes.

:confused:

After a little soldering I got the Dayton 3uF film caps put together and soldered to some pieces of wire to run from the binding posts to the Dayton tweeters. As of right now, they are facing straight up at the ceiling and positioned right in the middle of the top panel of the towers.

There's definitely new "sparkle" and "air" to the sound. The tweeters have certainly opened up overall performance of my speakers. I don't know why I never thought of doing this with my other creations in the past. I can see where there's definite potential for improvements.

So far, I'm liking what I'm hearing. From what I can tell, they pretty much blend in seamlessly with the rest of the sound, not drawing one bit of attention to themselves (which is a good thing).

Once I build some little enclosures and cover up the wiring dangling in the rear, I'll be able to experiment some more with placement and post a better review. However, the way they're sounding right now facing straight up at the ceiling, this may end up as their final resting place in the near future. :cool:

Not that I'm doing anything about it anytime soon (if at all), but do you guys think there would be a worth wild improvement in upgrading my FE103E's to the FE108E∑ Sigma at some point?

Just curious more than anything else...

What Cal said. Another pair is in order!

If you really don't want to build another pair, I've heard reports that the FE108E∑ is better through the midrange, but more limited at the frequency extremes.
In your case, it would probably be better to use the FE108E∑, if you have the money.

Chris

What Cal said. Another pair is in order!

If you really don't want to build another pair, I've heard reports that the FE108E∑ is better through the midrange, but more limited at the frequency extremes.
In your case, it would probably be better to use the FE108E∑, if you have the money.

Chris

Since I now live in an apartment, building anything is pretty much out of the question at this point. Why would I need another pair anyway? I would still be augmenting them with bass drivers anyway, so I might as well keep what I have.

Better midrange is always something to work towards, and when funds allow, I just might spring for a set of FE108E∑ drivers. And now that I'm running that Dayton tweeter for a little extra extension and ambiance, it will help fill in where the FE108E∑ falls. Although, I have to admit that these FE103E's are doing pretty darn good in the midrange department as is!

Back on topic, I think I want to go ahead and buy a few proper inductors of known values for my speakers. Keeping the 51uF cap in mind that's on the woofer, what size inductors should I be using on the Fostex drivers and possibly the inductors on the (+) side of the Vifa woofers that Jerome suggested?

If it's of any interest, I think I might want just a tad bit more lower mids out of the woofer, just to add the slightest bit more "thickness" to the midrange.

Again, many thanks in advance! ;)

I just took a couple new shots of the speakers to add to the fun factor. :p

If you notice, I also added the 3.3 ohm resistors to the tweeters just to knock them down a tad. They were drawing a little too much attention to themselves.

p525042044-4.jpg

p54076904-4.jpg

p61907388-4.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

p302286956-4.jpg

p451704370-4.jpg

Back on topic, I think I want to go ahead and buy a few proper inductors of known values for my speakers. Keeping the 51uF cap in mind that's on the woofer, what size inductors should I be using on the Fostex drivers and possibly the inductors on the (+) side of the Vifa woofers that Jerome suggested?

If it's of any interest, I think I might want just a tad bit more lower mids out of the woofer, just to add the slightest bit more "thickness" to the midrange.

Again, many thanks in advance! ;)

No one has anything to suggest?... :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.