A 10.2 Power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Why the negativity?

Based on my knowledge of other MA drivers, I just expected the A 10.2 to be rated at maybe 25 or 30 watts max.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that they are rated higher, and I am quite aware already that the ratings are not absolutes.

I certainly don't have any intention of treating them like a 70 watt speaker. I was basically just looking for confirmation that the spec sheet has no error on it.

The issue is, the wattage rating depends so heavily on how we decide to measure. The 10.2 can take 1000W transients. Or, only a few watts with low frequency sine waves. The tweeters with voice coils that melt at 5W are actually rated at 250W "musical" power. The ratings are too variable. That's why speaker power ratings are rarely talked about in DIY.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
OK. I understand.

Would it be accurate to assume that Mark rates the power of his drivers consistently, by the same methods/parameters? If so, would it be conceivable to compare, in general terms, the power handling of one MA driver to another based on Mark's power rating?

To be specific, would it be reasonable to expect 1x Alpair 10.2 to "handle" basically as much power as 2x EL70, all else being equal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.