• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

9302 Maggie Rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not talking about removing anything. On the 8802 I redid, i had to add 390 ohm resistors..... this explains: Magnavox stereo PP console amps and the mysterious balance pot - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
This was necessary because removing the molex umbilical opens the feedback loop.

OK, Gotcha. Affirm. That's the story on some amps that run the feedback line out to the preamp section with balance controls on the user panel. You have to split the difference that a pot would provide at the center position. Different amps will have a different pot value. You get the idea.

I must confess, I'm not totally decided about how I'm going to rebuild this amp. It sounds like if I rewind the trafo, I circumvent a lot of fabrication normally associated with building the El Cheapo. If I just redo the 9302, I end up with a very nice, sought after amp as well. Because this amp has the balance pot built into the amp....this negates the 390 ohm resistor need in the feedback loop- right?

If you are building it to re-sell then just redo it according to the Magnavox schematic. If you want better performance and a really unique amp then build El-Cheapo.

Get the trafo rewound either back to stock specs for a stock amp or the way I recommended for El-Cheapo use.

Ok, I looked above where the amp sits in the original console....nothing dripped on the trafo from above - so I'm assuming it's oil from the trafo getting too hot. I am planning on rewinding for El Cheapo - but please be ready for ?'s. I "will" need help. Thanks in advance Eli, Jim, Dave & all others

@Jim, the link for Gary Brown is DOA....I'll search for him

Last edited:
Nothing concrete....I spoke to Gary about rewinding the transformers - he won't rewind to other than stock specs. So as of right now, I'm looking into Edcor PT & OPT since they are cheaper than the rewind charge - and have a pretty good reputation.

Since you are assuming the PT is toast, it gives you the 0 cost option of pulling the tubes and firing it up to do some A/C voltage checks at the rectifier socket and for heater voltage at one of the other tube sockets.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong....You're saying to just remove the rectifier, and put a multimeter to the circuits to check voltages. I know I'll need to have speakers hooked up ( or something hooked across the speaker posts ), but doing this won't cause any damage to the rest of the amp?

With the rectifier PULLED out of the amp, you do not need to have speakers hooked up as no DC voltage will be developed in the amp. Look at the partial schematic and place your VOM where the red lines are drawn, and you should see the ac voltages as indicated. Dont worry about the winding at the bottom of the transformer, it supplies the pre-amp when the turntable is being used.

Attachments

• voltages.jpg
    voltages.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 177
Look at the transformer diagram, you will see that there are two(2) 300 volt windings. actually its a 600 vac winding with a center tap. you should get 600 volts between the two red wires, and 300 volts between the red/yellow and the either red wires (check both). Remember with NO load the voltages will be a little high and thats OK.

Since line voltages are higher these days the B+ will be 10-15V higher than the diagram voltages. You expressed a concern that the 5U4 was bad, if you replace it you could or even should go with a 5R4GYB type which has a lower output than the 5U4, (higher voltage drop). It will help keep the B+ closer to the original values. The original 9302 B+ (325v) pushes the 6BQ5's into their high range from the start so it's a good idea to not let them get any higher if you can avoid it. Not a critical concern, just something to be aware of. If the 5U4 is still good, it's no biggy to keep using it to test and troubleshoot.

Dont worry about the winding at the bottom of the transformer, it supplies the pre-amp when the turntable is being used.

Bruce, that's very interesting. Do you happen to know the RMS current rating of that winding? If it's good for 20 mA. RMS or more, the winding could be used to energize the "El Cheapo" B- supply. Switching the B+ rectifier to a "potato masher" 5R4 would put the B+ rail voltage just about perfect for "El Cheapo". Stay safe and make the 1st filter cap. 15 μF.

The above remarks are made assuming the OEM power trafo is, after all. functional.

Hello Eli,
I don't know the current rating, it's ~7 vac. It's used to lite the heaters in the preamp stage when only the TT is being used.

Bruce, thanks. For some, stupid, reason I thought that winding was "120" V. Still, it will be very useful for energizing the heater of a 7Y4 that will be part of the B- PSU.

Now I've got to find something of reasonable cost for the B- supply. :scratch1:

Ok, going stock for now....$$ is limited. Replacing all resistors with 1% carbon film, and want to get orange drops in as well. Can someone recommend values for the orange drops - that would increase bass response. Would the values for C3 be .001uf and C4 be .01uf? Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.