• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

845-Amp-IT-Coupled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a few months listening my 845 amp,
I want to upgrade the drive stage by replacing the 100K Pot by a TVC.
The drive stage is one D3a at 18mA with IT LL1692a ALT S.
Any suggestions on which TVC should I use
Once again thank you all for your precious help!

After a few months listening my 845 amp,
I want to upgrade the drive stage by replacing the 100K Pot by a TVC.
The drive stage is one D3a at 18mA with IT LL1692a ALT S.
Any suggestions on which TVC should I use
Once again thank you all for your precious help!

I would look at a Sowter:

SOWTER ATTENUATOR TRANSFORMERS TVC VOLUME CONTROL

You have many options, including the 9395 with 6/12 dB gain which is what you were looking for sometime ago, I think. In this case you trade some frequency response for stepping-up however the FR is still very good (10Hz and 50 KHz at -3 dB).
It's high quality mu-metal core with very low intrinsic distortion (typically 0.005% or lower over the full audio range at 1 V rms output).

Only thing you have to be sure is: you get negligible DC offset from the source as this TVC won't tolerate DC (as will be the case for most of them, I guess).

I would look at a Sowter:

SOWTER ATTENUATOR TRANSFORMERS TVC VOLUME CONTROL

You have many options, including the 9395 with 6/12 dB gain which is what you were looking for sometime ago, I think. In this case you trade some frequency response for stepping-up however the FR is still very good (10Hz and 50 KHz at -3 dB).
It's high quality mu-metal core with very low intrinsic distortion (typically 0.005% or lower over the full audio range at 1 V rms output).

Only thing you have to be sure is: you get negligible DC offset from the source as this TVC won't tolerate DC (as will be the case for most of them, I guess).

I was looking for documentation to see how I should do the connection of the TVC,
just found this application not in the attach.
Should I keep the 100K resistance connected to the grid as shown in Sowter appn.

Attachments

• Sowrer appn.jpg
    Sowrer appn.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 124
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.