8" fullrange suitable for heavy metal? (audio nirvana)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jbl le8/le8t

or a fostex

fx200

Attachments

• fx200.jpg
    fx200.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 759
It might not be as simple as a fullrange but a fullrage mated to a bass reflex woofer might provide you with the bass extension and slam you might need for metal. There are a few senstive (92db+) 8" woofers that would mate very nicely with the FE206 or FX200 etc...this would also limit the excursion needed by the fullrange.

I'm using two Tangband W4-1320 4" drivers in sealed enclosures crossed at 100 hz thru a Panasonic SA-XR55 to two ported boxes with Dayton RS180s driven by a 70 watt plate amp. It will put out some Tool or Old School Metal loud enough to drive most humans screaming from the room.

Based on what I've read here, I'm very curious myself about how a BIB with an AN 8" sounds. I'd suggest trying one out They seem very simple to build. You could even sell them if they don't suit your purposes ...

(I'll admit that I'm trying to get you to take the plunge so my AN BIB curiosity can be satisfied )

BTW, have you checked the very nice Swedish DIY forum at http://www.hififorum.nu/ ? You could ask around there, too; Maybe someone there knows what are most cost-effective drivers for Swedes to get, w.r.t. shipping and all that. The hififorum.nu folks seem very friendly, much like the good people here at diyaudio.

Well. the speakers are not for me so buying just to test is out of the question but I'm just looking for a affordable speaker for my friend to build and Zaphs budget MTM looks like something that will do and compete with the alternaties that are available.

Oh, and I have a membership at Hififorum as well as here :)

I also decided to go with Zaphs' bamtm for main speakers. Audionirvanas just can't play loud enough without distortion. So i'm going to use same boxes for new mtm project and use AN's for center channel. I want to try no box center channel (see attached). Right now this speaker sits on top of subwoofer. drivers are biamped and wired out of phase with each other. AN's frequency responce is deep enough to cross them over slightly above 100hz. but they still need a lot of tweaking. first, there is huge bump at 1khz, that needs to be taken care of. i'll probably have to make special stands for them.

Attachments

• nirvanacenter.jpg
    nirvanacenter.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 428
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.