8 channel LPCM over HDMI, It's Multi Amp for Everyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi KOON3876,

I am by no means trying to tell you what you should do. I just wanted to bring up the question of making a library with documented (probably very simple) API and perhaps your existing example use. The library would allow other people easily incorporate the functionality into other projects, send back patches, etc. Something like the CUDA image manipulation library http://cvtool.sourceforge.net/.

BTW, what is the license of your code?

Thanks.

library or separated source?
int CUDAFIR_Initialize(int taps, int channels)
int CUDAFIR_Close()
int CUDAFIR_PrepareCoeff(int channel, EQ * pEQParams, FREQ * pFreqParams)
int CUDAFIR_DelayAndOffset(int channel, int delay, float offset)
int CUDAFIR_Execute(int channel, float * indata, float *outdata, int length)

looks nice, it can organize source :)
but there are bad effect, users will not study CUDA. will think later.

License, MIT?
I avoid download / look "GPL" source codes, so there will be no problem to say it's MIT licensed.
Same as PortAudio license.

I uploaded GPUFIR_20080901.zip,
Now there are 4 components.
(1) Tiny player / controller.
(2) FIR Output process, with File read / buffer function.
(3) ShareDLL, command / responce communication and 256KB FIFO.
(4) Input Streamer.

Most interesting thing will be codes are so small.
(1) VB2005 220 lines
(2) VC2005, 850 lines
(3) VC2005, 120 lines + data segment
(4) VC2005, 180 lines
Total below 1500 lines.

(1) is simple player written from scratch.
(2) GPUFIR output program, has it's own Linear buffer for file.
This player reads all of data into RAM first, then start playing.
Pros: there are no hardware access to disks while playing.
Cons: Slow when NAS connected by Wifi. I'm not sure I can play 2GB wave file :).
(3) is DLL which connects C and VB, also it stores fixed 256KB FIFO for (2)-(4) communication.
(4) is "Input Only" PortAudio program.

Screen: GPU FIR / Input Streamer / Controller.
I just drag / drop folder or file, then play / pause / stop / FWD / REW. so simple!
or by checking "Streamer Mode", I can listen to CD player.
So far (3 hours) no problem about CD/HDMI async issue. When FIFO goes almost FULL/EMPTY, program remove or insert one packet.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

OK now I can go to next, where I want to go :)
6 way LAN I2S device (netburner+cheap FPGA) - full digital amplifier.

KOON3876 said:

That sounds interesting, We don't need Lynx anymore?
If Mod Xonar can output 8 channel I2S, Or 6 channel I2S is on the main-daughter cable, any DAC DIYer can enjoy.

Not PortAudio->CUDA->Xonar
some APP -> PortAudio -> Xonar :)

Using PortAudio is very easy and platform (almost) free,
I recommend any Sunday DIYAudio programmer to learn PortAudio.

So has anyone got a Xonar HDAV1.3 yet and can verify that it passes I2S on to its daughterboard?

I do not have the card, just inferring from ALSA source code and datasheets.

CMI8788 supports 192/24 I2S, so do PCM1796 codecs, Asus specifies 192/24 too.

CMI8788 supports 44.1kHz (OXYGEN_RATE_44100 in alsa). However, it has only one 24,576 MHz crystal, i.e. the 44.1kHz support is provided via PLL, no direct clock.

Unfortunately I do not know any PCI-express card with direct clock pro 44.1kHz.

Hi is this the one we want?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132008

Package photo shows it has daughter card.

I was pretty busy to keep my assets in financial storm :( and business. From last week I started thinking how to implement LAN I2S to NetBurner.

I will consider Xonar later! (my pocket money is pretty poor now... I bought Dell 3008 / 64GB SLC SSD / 128GB MLC SSD this month)

Come on guys, I think this is the way forward in audio. I think this is unbelievable. I'm coming to the conclusion that Mini Fanless PCs with clever software are the only new media player.

I will have an Atom nettop by every TV and speaker set I have.

Anyway, it's been month. Has there been any interest in this lately?

sxr71 said:
Come on guys, I think this is the way forward in audio. I think this is unbelievable. I'm coming to the conclusion that Mini Fanless PCs with clever software are the only new media player.

I will have an Atom nettop by every TV and speaker set I have.

Anyway, it's been month. Has there been any interest in this lately?

Of course there's been a lot of interest - at least from my perspective .

Though HDMI is a bit tricky to handle from a DIY perspective.
Usually it boils down to buying a mutichannel-amp and a MB/soundcard with HDMI out.

Nettops: I think these are too weak to perform well on video and audio. They'll do a good job as streaming clients. I doubt that they are able to do e.g. quality upscaling.
There might be one exemption, the Nvidia-ION. However I am not aware of a MB available to the public.

The Zotac ION is CUDA capable. I imagine that the single-core (cheaper, fanless) version would suffice since the FIR processing is done on the GPU.

Single Core, Fanless - No Power Supply - $129
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500029

Single Core, Fanless - With Power Supply - $159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Zotac+ION&x=0&y=0

Dual Core, With Fan - No Power Supply - $169
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500030

Dual Core, With Fan - With Power Supply - $189
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500027

I've got the computer : Compag mini 311 with nvidia ION and HDMI port
the HDMI cable,
the AV amplifier (pany SA-XR59),
the speakers (3 way Triangle Antal TZX)

the drivers are a real mess, and now I'm unable to have HDMI audio appear as an option for outputing any sound to the receiver !
Shame on you HA and NVIDIA !

Of course there's been a lot of interest - at least from my perspective .

Though HDMI is a bit tricky to handle from a DIY perspective.
Usually it boils down to buying a mutichannel-amp and a MB/soundcard with HDMI out.

Nettops: I think these are too weak to perform well on video and audio. They'll do a good job as streaming clients. I doubt that they are able to do e.g. quality upscaling.
There might be one exemption, the Nvidia-ION. However I am not aware of a MB available to the public.

I guess now we have the Emotiva UMC-1 for a multichannel pre amp. However the drivers don't seem to be ready yet.

Hi Sorry for my confusing GPUFIR :)

Ver.1 I used special USB-FPGA path to make I8S signal, to my 4way digital amp.
Ver.2 HDMI: now generic AV amplifier can be used to enjoy 3way multi amp. no special hardware, but HDMI is not for DIY.
Ver.3 ASIO: please see this version.
CUDA Real FIR simplified by ASIO
If you are not interested in Full-digital-signal path, just use generic ASIO capable audio interface.

good news for me today,
I've finally understood that hdmi audio is not available unless hdmi video is being used (at least with my drivers and on my compaq mini 311 under XP).
What this means ?
I must connect my TV to my pany xr57 in hdmi, and my pany to my compaq min 311 also in hdmi,
I must be using my hdmi port for outputting video even if I just want to listen to some music though my pany.
It would be much more practical if hdmi audio could be used independently from hdmi video,
I think it's just a question of software,
the author of the driver could have chosen to allow hdmi audio only usage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.