7812/7912 regulator questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, don't forget to get a 'Bedini Clarifier', a 'TPT' clock and 50Kg of stone blocks to put them over the amplifier and the CD player to 'solidify' sound :rolleyes: [but no acoustric treatment in the listening room as usual... say hello to standing waves... :D ]

Front End Regulation

Okay, back to the subject, the best and simplest way is to use dropping resistors and 7812/7912 regulators. If you want to add protection use zener diodes on the front end of the regulators. If you want better ripple rejection than the LM7812/7912 offer than use the LM317/337 combo. That's the best, easiest, quietest, and cheapest solution. Both the 7812/7912 and the 317/337 options like to see a small minimal load current, and the front end no doubt draws enough current to satisfy these devices, but if you want to get fancy you can always add LEDs to the outputs of the regulators. Or, if you want to be clever you can put the LEDs in series with the inputs of the regulators and illuminate them for "free" while at the same time taking some of the heat off the dropping resistors.

Yes, and I see why now...

I was using a single transformer when I built my latest design. I was putting it through hell, basically running it into 2 and 1 ohm loads. I was keeping an eye on the rail voltage as I turned up the volume, it started at 19v then started falling. When I turned the volume high enough so that the rails hit about 13v, the power LED turned off, the transformer started buzzing and the driver stage exploded. At this point I yanked the cord and now it's back to the drawing board. So that's what happens when the regulators can't do their job, very bad things. My guess is the whole thing latched and exploded.

Two transformers it is...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.