$700 budget for 2 powered subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Again, buying more subs is better than buying bigger subs.

Harman White Paper
That is the paper from Harman group showing the research they conducted. I'm not saying you need to follow their philosophy exactly, but the basic premise of more is better remains true.

Gedlee White Paper
Here is Gedlee's paper, I would suggest following this one over the Harman mostly because symmetrical placement is typically difficult in a room, he gets away with one less sub (3 instead of 4), and similar to better results were found.

Just as a sort of case example. Lets say you did the AV123 route, which is a good route to go. I would suggest buying maybe one of the big subs, and 2 smaller subs. Place the largest sub in the corner, and the other two in other "random" locations. This will potentially fall within your budget (I just looked and noticed he isn't offering a smaller X series sub at the moment). Anyway, the non-equal responses of the 3 subs would allow some room tuning as you could move each one to "tune" the room. If looks are very important, 3 identical looking subs may be better, but the AV123 is a pretty large subwoofer to contend with (If your goal is to hide them). While I'm not suggesting going to Costco and buying as many cheap subwoofers as you can (quality does matter to a point here), spending a lot of money on 1 or 2 large and expensive subwoofers isn't ideal either.

He is very busy right now and it would probably be some time (He has told me over a month for myself), but Dr. Geddes could build you subwoofers in your price range which I think would exceed your expectations. Geddes published research on this matter has shown that by all objective measures of sound with the best correlations to what I hear, room is the dominant effect on bass, not the subwoofer or its quality.

pjpoes said:
Again, buying more subs is better than buying bigger subs.

Harman White Paper
That is the paper from Harman group showing the research they conducted. I'm not saying you need to follow their philosophy exactly, but the basic premise of more is better remains true.

Gedlee White Paper
Here is Gedlee's paper, I would suggest following this one over the Harman mostly because symmetrical placement is typically difficult in a room, he gets away with one less sub (3 instead of 4), and similar to better results were found.

Just as a sort of case example. Lets say you did the AV123 route, which is a good route to go. I would suggest buying maybe one of the big subs, and 2 smaller subs. Place the largest sub in the corner, and the other two in other "random" locations. This will potentially fall within your budget (I just looked and noticed he isn't offering a smaller X series sub at the moment). Anyway, the non-equal responses of the 3 subs would allow some room tuning as you could move each one to "tune" the room. If looks are very important, 3 identical looking subs may be better, but the AV123 is a pretty large subwoofer to contend with (If your goal is to hide them). While I'm not suggesting going to Costco and buying as many cheap subwoofers as you can (quality does matter to a point here), spending a lot of money on 1 or 2 large and expensive subwoofers isn't ideal either.

He is very busy right now and it would probably be some time (He has told me over a month for myself), but Dr. Geddes could build you subwoofers in your price range which I think would exceed your expectations. Geddes published research on this matter has shown that by all objective measures of sound with the best correlations to what I hear, room is the dominant effect on bass, not the subwoofer or its quality.

Cool. Three is the magic number lol. De La Soul

Contact for the good Dr. ? When I have hard numbers to work with Friday, I will give him a ring or email.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
It's probably irrelavant but I am using multiple "cheap" subs.
Bought at a discount chain quite reasonably and I found that odd numbers just sounded a little better, I'm now using 7 smallish boxes, 5 X 10 inch plus 2 X 12inch and they give reasonable SPL and noise, not what I would use for music though.
Total power avaliable ( but Chinese spec's and therefore suspect ) 900 Watts; total cost, around AUD$450, should be cheaper anywhere else in the world than in Oz

gedlee@gedlee.com That is Dr. Geddes email. As I said, he can make them, but he is stretched a bit thin with other projects, and it may be some time before he can. He told me that subwoofers are not a big profit making product, so its hard for him to want to offer them. If you can wait though, I think you will be very pleased, so go ahead and email him.

Sreten, I've read and reread that paper. I've talked with Dr. Geddes, are you sure you understand the paper. What you state comes out of the first few pages of the paper. They seemed to address in detail the smoothing of the response later in the paper. While I understand what you are getting at, I don't think that I misunderstood the paper or its implications. I'm also mixing Dr. Geddes work with the Harman work, which as I understand things, is perfectly fine, since both accomplish the same end goal. Dr. Geddes does feel that multiple subs not only smooths the response throughout the room, but also at individual locations.

I really think you are just trying to be difficult or disagreeable here. What exactly is wrong with my recommendation? How would it steer someone off, or give them worse results than not doing it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.