7.3 Variations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just thought I'd toss an update over. I fixed the RFI problem with the amp, and also completed a set of the 6 and a bit liter sealed enclosures that Dave recommended for the 7.3's I've got.

Right off the bat I realized much better transient response compared to my pensil enclosure. The cone is much more controlled, though I'm not sure if it's due to me shielding my amplifier or by having it in a sealed enclosure. I may eventually cross it over at 120hz or so to take all the bass duties from it, though that will come when I get a sub to run with it. For now I like it. Vocals are nice and rich and the 3-dimensional soundstage couldn't be better. Everything just sounds wonderful through them. Granted, they aren't anything like my set of Hawthorne's in terms of sheer output and ability to play complex music. But in my opinion, they're meant for a more intimate setting and excel admirably at doing what they do, which to me is vocals and natural instruments.

Another thing I've been tossing around is trying out some Fountek FR88EX 3" full range speakers to see how they compare. Zaph rated them highest in a full range shootout, even over the Alpair 6, so I'm looking forward to trying a set. I'll report back in another thread if/when those get setup.

Cheers,
Steven

Granted, they aren't anything like my set of Hawthorne's in terms of sheer output and ability to play complex music.
Cheers,
Steven

This is interesting. Out of all the things I am most impressed with about these drivers, the thing that stands out the most is their ability to handle very complex orchestral music. Perhaps they are not ideally suited for a sealed enclosure but would prove better in an aperiodic design as Dave suggested. I can'r wait to relieve them of 100-120 and below. I can only imagine how things will improve in terms of the response and ablilty to handle more complexity.

I haven't played orchestral music through them. And I was being a little nit picky as well. They do handle most music well, but I feel that they're falling slightly short of giving each and every note it's well deserved detail. What did surprise me though, is their bass output. Color me crazy, but I think the bass output stayed about the same when coming from the Pensils. Maybe it's placement, maybe not. What I do know is that it's a lush bottom end, limited, but lush within' it's capabilities.

Keep in mind Buzz, the Hawthorne's are a 15" Coaxial driver with pro audio lineage. They're meant to play everything with ease and scale.

Consider that having to reproduce those LF notes takes away from thier ability to reproduce others with more accuracy and you have room for improvement. They will neve move the air of your larger drivers and if I had one issue with them, this is it. But,,, they do so much so well. If i ever get my amplifiaction and signal sources finished, I will get back to the integration of a woofer. Silverhair BP is already doing good research ann I forget who it was that paired these with an LROY26 from Seas and said it was fantastic.

Just skimmed his thread. He did a nice job. I'm sure it sounds great. As it is, I won't be able to cross that high, MAYBE 180hz or so, but that is a big maybe. They're definitely keepers, that's for sure. They do a lot well, and are remarkable little drivers and a bargain by offering a truly hifi experience for those who take the leap.

So how goes the inspiration? I'd love to see what you come up with using this driver configuration, but with a Full Range.

well it'd most likely employ a 70mm or so FR driver operating from circa 250 - 300 up

we've already put together a pretty decent performing wide baffle MLTL with a pair of Mark's budget EL166/Woofer6 and another maker's 3" FR driver - series passive XO

Designing something with a complement of affordable widely available drivers is one thing (and not particularly rocket science) but fabricating an enclosure such as the Blade, or for that matter the B&W 800 Nautilus series is quite another matter.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So how goes the inspiration? I'd love to see what you come up with using this driver configuration, but with a Full Range.

It is still percolating and waiting for me to have time to do some more detail work on the drawings. The new trapezoid miniOnkens for the paid plansets & revisions to a couple or 3 websites are ahead in the queue.

And it will not be a trivial build.

dave

well it'd most likely employ a 70mm or so FR driver operating from circa 250 - 300 up
Exactly. Sorta like "Super Tysen".
I have an eNabled pair of FE108ESigma I got from Dave a few years ago with the intent to build Aiko enclosures. This hasn't happened and something with more bass support would better fit the way I listen to music anyway. Hopefully an aperiodic TL like Tysen would suffice for the 108's in the >200Hz range.

we've already put together a pretty decent performing wide baffle MLTL with a pair of Mark's budget EL166/Woofer6 and another maker's 3" FR driver - series passive XO
What was this called? Link?

Designing something with a complement of affordable widely available drivers is one thing (and not particularly rocket science) but fabricating an enclosure such as the Blade, or for that matter the B&W 800 Nautilus series is quite another matter.
My enclosure would be a tall flat rectangle like box, certainly not shaped like the Blade or Nautilus.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Exactly. Sorta like "Super Tysen".

Same project (now codeNamed EssTee (a pun on the initials and what Tysen calls one of his dog stuffies)

I have an eNabled pair of FE108ESigma I got from Dave a few years ago with the intent to build Aiko enclosures. This hasn't happened and something with more bass support would better fit the way I listen to music anyway. Hopefully an aperiodic TL like Tysen would suffice for the 108's in the >200Hz range.

What was this called? Link?

The MTM. I just ordered a case of EL166 and am lobbying for the bipole variation. A noodling about a 4 driver version (with a larger mid-tweeter) for those who want LOTs of bottom & more dynamics.

On the far left:

257917d1325459619-seeking-help-first-speaker-project-chris-family-comp.jpg

EL166 MTM ML-TL

Also some info in the original Tysen thread.

My enclosure would be a tall flat rectangle like box

A good description of The MTM.

dave

Yes even with the budget EL166, the dual woofer MLTL doesn't suffer from light bottom end. These found their new home replacing a sub-sat system of some sort (I couldn't be bothered to look) that the owner had loudness and bass boost cranked up on his NAD separates. That was definitely not required with the MTMs

FOTCH-ya for sure

Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - a bit cheesy as one of my go-to demo tracks, but does make pretty quick work-out of system's bass response, and is fairly innocuous and accessible

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The XO on the MTM relies on the wide baffle to bring the XO down low. This kept the XO simple and low enuff that time coherence thru the XO could be maintained. One would need to use the same tricks as in Tysen to get the XO to work thru the baffle step region. Narrow & deep ends up moving the primary baffle step much higher. One could do the MTM on the narrow side but XO would have to move up, and wavelengths become short enuff that the 1/4 wl proximity criterion fails so time coherency is less likely. It would thou allow the system to play even louder. The XO would be up in the critical range and would not likely dissapear as readily.

Side mounted drivers, lots of toe-in, and low XO should still be doable thou.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.