• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6W Self Inverting 6BQ5 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So one channel doesn't sound too bad. But I should use a better quality OPT. And something besides plexiglass for a chassis. (It was quick and easy). There is a fair amount of hum. I used a 3w 25ohm balance pot over the cathode resistor. I went to 6AV6 driver tube, moved the volume control to 100k at the input, removed the tone control. (still haven't gone to CCS yet)
But what I'm really wondering is, does this kind of circuit stand a chance of being an inexpensive way to get around crossover distortion? I like the "aliveness" of an my SE amp which is 6BQ5/6EU7. I'm thinking of trying EL34's in a similar configuration.
Comments? At the moment the 6W amp doesn't seem to have the quite the power of the SE amp. And sonic improvements would be easily possible with the SE amp by upgrading it's OPT's and PS also.
Thanks
Jim
Anyone in the Eugene OR area want to get together to audition projects, do a swap meet or kick around ideas over a homebrew?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.