• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Salas, just curious how do you calculate the resistor value of 2R7 between the LM317 & the filaments?

Attachments

• Salas6V6LineStage (2019_07_02 11_22_03 UTC).jpg
    Salas6V6LineStage (2019_07_02 11_22_03 UTC).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 108
Hey Salas, do you still like the Maida regulator PSU for these? I'm currently working on PCBs for power supplies and was thinking of putting one together as a spiritual companion to the other boards.

I'm also putting together a simple mosfet ripple filter PSU on a 50x50mm PCB as well since it's what I use in 75% of my own builds, same basic circuit as the one Pete Millet used in his Engineer's Amplifier, but just with a diode bridge-
Mosfet ripple filter.png

It would be easy to start with this and expand it to 50x100mm to work in an LM317T to make a Maida regulator board.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But looking the simplicity I will make your design.
Voltage source mode heater PSU as you already got has the characteristics of coming up instantly and maintaining fixed voltage to all tubes if you roll a lot.

CCS mode is minimalist, occupies less space, comes up soft. But various tubes can develop different Vh. Depends on exactly made filament for nominal spec current. You are happy if within 6.1V-6.5V range. Else you tweak Rset.