• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here is your approximate loadline and operating point. Voltage over 470R should be like 11 V.

Attachments

• triod4.png
    triod4.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 524
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This value is odd though. Probably measuring fault. It should be the difference between voltage over 470R and cathode.
I guess it says that there is a small grid current, Otherwise there should be no drop over the 470 k.
It is true... I go to measure again...
Slightly leaky input cap could also change the expected grid to ground voltage measurement.

Some update: Not time to built a decent box, but I listen it (in wood-wine box) for a long time, with russian 6v6 and rca in metal case (6v6y) the first was definetively better: wide and loud at least IMHO and in my temporary realisation, absolutely silent, take a permanent place in my system.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Noone maybe. Some superlocal fb w less amplification , lower thd and unfortunately some higher Z-out is worth a try. Z is ok as is

If you can live with the lower gain and higher Zout it may be worth a try if only to judge the sonic impact of the decoupling cap.

I usually prefer the sound without the decoupling caps especially in a (phono) preamp. But then it's best to design with that in mind from the onset.

Another workaround would be to replace the cathode resistor with an appropriate LED if you don't mind the sand.

Ciao, ;)