• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Winter came, got cold outside - finally - so found some time to rearrange my 6V6 pre as CT and finish the wiring.
If you can live without the gain it has one of the best sound for a preamplifier. Also much easier to get it quiet and not microphonic. I really love it like this.
Sound wise, more bass more resolution and more natural than a #26 or an AVC from Intact audio I was using.
When I find some time and persuade myself to get it out of my system for a few days, I have a more solid aluminum subchassis to put everything on, and maybe arrange thing a little better, especially on the underside!

I see an SME! What amp this pre is driving?

OT as usual.

B+ 325, cathode resistor 5.5k, 23.8mA.
Hi, I'm new to forum, after read al lot on this thread, I decided to bulid this pre for smelling "triode power sound" in line pre, starting by the CF circuit.
I ask if with simple supply 330-340v crc or clc and may be AC for the heater I could expect something good enough to add work and components.
My final stage is yba2 1V for the rate power and 47K input impedence.
Actually as pre I use a parallel triode ecc83, so much gain but a very nice, detailed sound wide enough.
Two 6v6 from Russia are coming...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, I'm new to forum, after read al lot on this thread, I decided to bulid this pre for smelling "triode power sound" in line pre, starting by the CF circuit.
I ask if with simple supply 330-340v crc or clc and may be AC for the heater I could expect something good enough to add work and components.
My final stage is yba2 1V for the rate power and 47K input impedence.
Actually as pre I use a parallel triode ecc83, so much gain but a very nice, detailed sound wide enough.
Two 6v6 from Russia are coming...

You can still expect a good portion of what it can do when on simpler PSU arrangements bcs CF mode is less demanding on that. I won't misinform you that it is the same thing as with regulated B+ but it will give you a very good idea about liking it or not so to later complete it or just ditch it.

You can still expect a good portion of what it can do when on simpler PSU arrangements bcs CF mode is less demanding on that. I won't misinform you that it is the same thing as with regulated B+ but it will give you a very good idea about liking it or not so to later complete it or just ditch it.

thanks a lot Salas, it's the answer I expect........, some suggestion about some component you consider critical or very effective on sound? for the output caps I have some K42 PIO could be good? , some needs about components for simple PSU?

thanks a lot i hope to built and try it very soon ( as soon the tubes comes..)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
0.1uF FT3 for input cap I consider not to compromise, use 20K, 50K pot if able, at least no more than 100K if you must & watch its quality, maybe a cheap stepper. I would prefer K75//FT3 any day over K42 on output, but you could start with what you got.

If you will do CRC, cascade numerous RC cells with your last capacitor being the best quality.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It would show 125V DC to the source and pot since its a bootstrapped follower. Thus you can't skip that cap. There has been discussion in this thread why not arranging it differently without a cap, i.e. non bootstrapped, and it can be done. But its bootstrapped I like it best.

0.1uF FT3 for input cap I consider not to compromise, use 20K, 50K pot if able, at least no more than 100K if you must & watch its quality, maybe a cheap stepper. I would prefer K75//FT3 any day over K42 on output, but you could start with what you got.

If you will do CRC, cascade numerous RC cells with your last capacitor being the best quality.

Bought ft3, 50k pot ok and right i'll Putin best and large CAP at the end of crc Thanks a lot

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't use under 0.1uF for 1Meg amp. Low frequency wise its no real problem. Depends on the impedance characteristics of the amp's input stage if it will need some more current drive at some frequencies than being a perfect resistor equivalent so bigger caps like 0.33uF or 0.47uF may actually seem better to you. But its you test with your own amp and the quality of capacitors you got in your box. Having a Teflon at 0.22uF you may probably prefer to a PIO at 0.47uF etc.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Winter came, got cold outside - finally - so found some time to rearrange my 6V6 pre as CT and finish the wiring.
If you can live without the gain it has one of the best sound for a preamplifier. Also much easier to get it quiet and not microphonic. I really love it like this.
Sound wise, more bass more resolution and more natural than a #26 or an AVC from Intact audio I was using.
When I find some time and persuade myself to get it out of my system for a few days, I have a more solid aluminum subchassis to put everything on, and maybe arrange thing a little better, especially on the underside!

Outstanding build..... what are those black boards for ?