• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The soundstage went up. I/ we didnt like it so we calmed up the upper mid a bit.

The diffrence between my home made EL84 and a pot, and 6V6 and a pot is small but recognisable. 6V6 and a pot has way more body. Unfortunately its more flimsy in line with my EL84. Much more so its not a feeling.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last one by ear. I use XTZ Room Analyzer for average value changes. I also use the phone (to call the constructor) and all the nerds passing by:D

Attachments

• new setup 001 (2000x3000).jpg
    new setup 001 (2000x3000).jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 373
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I noticed this when I tried to have the filter in an alu box. Now its wooden. Damn we put to much angelhair (twaron) in yesterday. Duff sound. Very sensitive in TQWT. A fistfull is plenty.

Batteryfed treble caps also made a great differance

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Though I find next to nothing beats a well balanced floating paraphrase to my ears. I guess I like the "near single ended" harmonics mixed with the firmness of a PP. The 6V6 gave it some more muscles but it was to detailed in the top. It gives me headache on longer listenings.

A floating paraphrase PPP with some good irons combined with 6V6 will most likely make my day.

Here is where i get stupid. I found brightness in the top end came with tube rectifier, but I say this in ignorance and my first attempt at tube rectification could be as qualified as pitiful. This was using 5u4g Winged C, Obbligato oilers, choke, and motor run caps in CLC. With SS, it was dynamic, fast, and especially nice in da bass, man.

Here is where i get stupid. I found brightness in the top end came with tube rectifier, but I say this in ignorance and my first attempt at tube rectification could be as qualified as pitiful. This was using 5u4g Winged C, Obbligato oilers, choke, and motor run caps in CLC. With SS, it was dynamic, fast, and especially nice in da bass, man.

Was the B+ and workingpoint for the tube same with SS/Tube rect ?